S/WB Yankees forced to home games on the road

BigMac12

Why do the Mets have any say over Newark? Because of the Cyclones?

Could they play in Staten Island? There has to be a better solution than a full road schedule.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Frankly, as a live in the S/WB area. This is a long time coming. The stadium is a dump. I loved going to games, but in the last 2 years I think i went to maybe 3. I'd rather have them on the road for 1 year to get them for 20, instead of 1 more year and then see them move. This is a great step for this area. I am excited to see what the renovations will look like. We will finally have a minor-league stadium to go to and not the "mini-vet"

The NYC market as a whole is shared by both the Mets and Yankees, thus why both have minor league affiliates in Staten Island and Brooklyn respectively. Any intrusion on the market by an affiliate of one team (SWB Yanks) must be approved by the other team, no matter where they intend to play (Newark, Staten Island,etc.)

And the Mets won't let them play in Newark sadly.

To be fair I'm sure the Mets would make the Brooklyn Cyclones their AAA team in a second if the Yankees wouldn't block it, so it works both ways.

I agree, but it would be nice to have a AAA team in Newark

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

To be fair I'm sure the Mets would make the Brooklyn Cyclones their AAA team in a second if the Yankees wouldn't block it, so it works both ways.

How are those the same? The Yankees wanted to bring their AAA team to Newark for 1 season. Just one.

I agree, but it would be nice to have a AAA team in Newark

Oh yeah, and I think you could make a really good argument that Newark could even make an MLB team work. Its just a shame that a rule like terriroty rights which does nothing to benefit the fans prevents that from happening.

How are those the same? The Yankees wanted to bring their AAA team to Newark for 1 season. Just one.

Doesen't matter. Those teams go tit for tat on everything like this.

There's a wrinkle to the Mets not allowing the SWB Yankees to Newark...

In 2006 after the Phillies affiliation with SWB (then the Red Barons) ended, the Mets were among the most interested teams to bring their AAA team to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. In fact, they were supposedly THE most interested team. When Mets upper management toured the facilities in Moosic and were readying to sign up with SWB, the Yankees were signing on the dotted line to begin their affiliation.

Tampa Bay Everybody Loves Rays

Go 'Nova | Go Irish

Maybe if the Yankees hadn't claimed Chris Carter after the Billy Wagner trade a few years ago, which prevented him from joining the Mets until after the season was over and gave the Yankees no benefit whatsoever, the Mets would have given the OK to Newark. What goes around comes around.

OK, probably not. But good for the Mets. If the situation was reversed, I'm sure the Yanks would have done the same thing.

Because MLB, unlike every other professional sports league, is very specific with respect to what teams have what territory (down to county level in some cases) - and that 'jurisdiction' covers the minor leagues as well: any team, MLB or minor league, must get permission to play home games in the territory of another club.

Every other sport, at least for the most part, allows teams a territory that's a certain radius in miles from the center of its city of origin. There are exceptions of course, and cases (Hamilton/Toronto in the CFL) where their radial limits (normally 75 miles) would overlap; in such cases they make the 'territory' half the distance between the cities.

nav-logo.png

Yankees offered them the same deal, they could bring in their AAA team in the market for 1 season whenever they wanted or needed, and they said no.

Because MLB, unlike every other professional sports league, is very specific with respect to what teams have what territory (down to county level in some cases) - and that 'jurisdiction' covers the minor leagues as well: any team, MLB or minor league, must get permission to play home games in the territory of another club.

Every other sport, at least for the most part, allows teams a territory that's a certain radius in miles from the center of its city of origin. There are exceptions of course, and cases (Hamilton/Toronto in the CFL) where their radial limits (normally 75 miles) would overlap; in such cases they make the 'territory' half the distance between the cities.

Tell me something I don't know... I responded to the idea of the Mets bringing their AAA team to Brooklyn permanently, when the Yankees only want to bring their AAA team to Newark for 1 season, while their stadium in Scranton is being renovated.

Maybe if the Yankees hadn't claimed Chris Carter after the Billy Wagner trade a few years ago, which prevented him from joining the Mets until after the season was over and gave the Yankees no benefit whatsoever, the Mets would have given the OK to Newark. What goes around comes around.

OK, probably not. But good for the Mets. If the situation was reversed, I'm sure the Yanks would have done the same thing.

Probably wanted to let the Mets know how stupid they were to give Wagner to the Red Sox, when they could of gotten a 1st round pick if they kept him. Red Sox turned that pick into Anthony Ranaudo, but the Mets got Chris Carter, for the fews months he was in the organization. The Mets are where they are because of decisions like that.

Yankees offered them the same deal, they could bring in their AAA team in the market for 1 season whenever they wanted or needed, and they said no.

You really think there's any chance of the Mets taking them up on that offer anytime soon? They are going to be locked into Buffalo for quite some time. There is also nothing stopping the Yankees from pulling out of that deal 15 years from now when the Mets may or may not want to take them up on it. No binding contract, just their word. Its not something the Mets have any use for at this time or anywhere in the forseable future anyway. If they want to bring in a AAA franchise to the NYC metro area they're gonna want to do it full time, not for just one year.

I'm not saying what the Mets are doing is right, but I'm not painting the Yankees as being innocent angels in this either. If the situation is reversed I guarantee you the Yankees do the exact same thing. And if you don't think the those two teams are that bitter at each other and would like nothing more then for the other to leave NYC completely you are dreaming.

Archived