BB 08's College Football Uniform Database

Brave-Bird 08

Here's a fun project I've been sticking to. I'm trying to create a database that graphically represents each college football uniform at the FBS level. I'd possibly even try to set it up on a site and keep it updated IF I could get permission and credit the template creator, but that would be a bridge to be crossed way down the road.

For now, I'm just going to start posing these as I complete them. They will likely need updates as teams break out more new gear, which they are doing at an exponentially faster rate these days. It's a fun project for me though--it's almost like a game. As well, I figured it would be fun to kind of give my personal evaluation of each set as it is posted in representation.

Here's two I finished tonight. Thanks to Andrew Harrington, the creator of the template. I did give it some minor tweaks. Enjoy!

Here's the Southeastern Conference.

SEC

Florida Gators: Florida's uniforms look "goofy", but in a good way. I think it's a result of the helmet logo and color scheme/balance. I think they have one of the most original and identifiable uniforms in college football. Even though I feel like they could get away with making a modern update, using their more current style, I feel like their uniforms are near perfect as is. Grade: A

exportA-5.png

exportB-3.png

Georgia Bulldogs: My Bulldogs uniforms, except for one flaw, are the best they have worn in their history (no Auburn stripes or other weird jersey elements like they had in the past). The only flaw is the shade of their "silver britches", thanks to the material, which makes them look off-color at times. I'd like to see the shine return. Also, I think their Pro Combat uniforms were one of the most disgraceful things to ever happen to athletic aesthetics, so that's that. Grade: A

exportA-4.png

exportB-2.png

IIRC, it took Slapshot like 2 years to complete his '07 project, so you've got a pretty massive journey ahead of you. Hopefully you get it done, man! You're already off to a nice start!

Kentucky Wildcats: I'm not a fan of how the Nike Speed Machine uniform material looks, but you can't let that get in the way of Kentucky's great color scheme. Their all-blue home uniforms have been a favorite of mine since the Andre Woodson days. The all-white helmet looks a little too generic to me, but everything else is solid. The only other issue is the fact the checkeredboard pattern is a part of both Kentucky's and their rival, Tennessee's visual identity. Grade: B+

export.png

Kentucky Wildcats: I'm not a fan of how the Nike Speed Machine uniform material looks, but you can't let that get in the way of Kentucky's great color scheme. Their all-blue home uniforms have been a favorite of mine since the Andre Woodson days. The all-white helmet looks a little too generic to me, but everything else is solid. The only other issue is the fact the checkeredboard pattern is a part of both Kentucky's and their rival, Tennessee's visual identity. Grade: B+

export.png

I really like this set, but I just wish they didn't put that white stripe on the blue helmet this year. I thought the blue looked great by itself.

spacer.png

Here is the home and away for South Carolina. The alternate is pretty darn complicated, so I might skip it and finish off the SEC and then put it together.

South Carolina Gamecocks: I've always thought USC had a great identity, but they continue to fail to represent it on their football uniforms. I really like the various "SC" and "USC" logos they have, but they don't/can't use them. Their uniforms have always been awkward, and this year's set with goofy font and tiny Under Armour NOBs really bother me. Grade: B-

exportA.png

exportB.png

If Kentucky ever wants to do a throwback again, they should go with the 1984-1986 unis. Those are my favorite of all time.

That is cool. I just didn't like the big "K" on the helmet.

487977852_tp.jpg

Ah memories - those were what they wore my 2 years at UK for grad school (Fall 1985-Summer 1987; I got shut out of a required class and had to finish it up in the Summer session). That shot is from 1983 - note that they are playing IU when Indiana decided to take their school colors of "crimson and cream" literally; that was Sam Wyche's only season as head coach at IU.

Archived