DC United Crest

aawagner011

Hey all, I've gone ahead and reworked the DC United crest. I've changed the crest shape, redesigned the eagle's posture, and also included a reference to the Washington Monument. "1995" signifies the club's founding. The text has also been simplified for legibility but still conveys the same general vibes as the old font. Here is the current crest and my redesign for comparison's sake.

Old:

DCUnited.png

Redesign:

DCUnited.png

Hey all, I've gone ahead and reworked the DC United crest. I've changed the crest shape, redesigned the eagle's posture, and also included a reference to the Washington Monument. "1995" signifies the club's founding. The text has also been simplified for legibility but still conveys the same general vibes as the old font. Here is the current crest and my redesign for comparison's sake.

Old:

DCUnited.png

Redesign:

DCUnited.png

I like it... DEFINATELY better than what they have now... but it feels a bit unfinished.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

CS: maybe you're thinking of the Pontiac Firebird logo... but I see barely any resemblance to the Nazi crest.

AA: I think that while it is a pretty good concept, you've got some work ahead of you. I think you were so focused on symbolism and decluttering that you over-simplified and left way too much white (or red) space. The Monument seems a little small, and the eagle head feels unfinished. I think the 1995 should be more incorporated too, moreso than pasted over the top.

You're headed in a good direction, I just think you've got to work a little more to get this into a more cohesive and integrated design.

CS: maybe you're thinking of the Pontiac Firebird logo... but I see barely any resemblance to the Nazi crest.

AA: I think that while it is a pretty good concept, you've got some work ahead of you. I think you were so focused on symbolism and decluttering that you over-simplified and left way too much white (or red) space. The Monument seems a little small, and the eagle head feels unfinished. I think the 1995 should be more incorporated too, moreso than pasted over the top.

You're headed in a good direction, I just think you've got to work a little more to get this into a more cohesive and integrated design.

Oh yea I have no clue what I was thinking when I said that I guess the colors haha sorry but this a good and I agree with u too

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I do appreciate the notes and critiques. I wonder if I could successfully place the Washington Monument in the middle of the crest and somehow incorporate the eagle around that? I think it may give it a better sense of balance. Then maybe I could work the 1995 into the negative space left by the lower portion of the Monument.

Any other tips or suggestions? I do understand the general consensus that it feels slightly unfinished. But then again, I do like to work my projects in steps. It gives me time to step back and sleep on it to come back with a better product. Also, the C&C and suggestions really do play into my development. It gives me creative ideas as I go along. I'm not really a fan of trying to pump out a fully fleshed out concept and calling it done right away. I'm a fan of more "give and take" based on other's thoughts and ideas. Really helps me guide the project along!

This concept has promise, however, I can't shake off the similarity that the Eagle's head has with the Thrasher within the defunct Atlanta Thrashers' logo. Additionally, in an effort to minimize the red space and as opposed to showing the side view of the Eagle's head, how about providing a profile view of the bird of prey attacking or looking more menacing?

the type is an upgrade but im still not sold on it. something like Minion Bold would be nice IMO

there really isnt much of a focal point within the shield and everything is kind of floating around. i would suggest making your eagle larger and have it touching the black outer stroke. i think the Washington monument is 1 idea too many in this case. theres just not a good balance with the eagle and it throws off the flow of the eagles lines. id suggest something more like below

mltowh.jpg

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

The eagle looks weird, especially the neck and backhead, but I like the overall idea of your concept.

one thought that I had was to get rid of the black neck/back part, another one to cut the neck, about halfway up, thus moving the eagle head more towards the bottom and then maybe moving the 1995 centraly.

I personally like the real logo better. It seems like a good logo to me. EVerything from the stroke thickness to the cool tail.

On yours, I'd suggest thickening up the lines, especially on the monument, and fixing the birds neck. Try going the route of the sketch suggested by BrandMooreArt. His version has less empty space.

Archived