Sports Photography

RoughRiders9

1)Facemask

2)Superfans

3) The Kill

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

These are nice. I am currently a freshman in college, and am the photographer for the athletic department at my school.

1.) Facemask

2.) Puck Drop

3.) Victory

#1 is by far your best shot; very difficult, harsh lighting that you had to deal with, and the exposure is spot on. It's perfectly clear, and the expression and emotion is great (which is something several of these pictures are missing). (McQuaid?)

Superfans is a nice shot, but not worthy of being in the top three here. Nothing to really criticize here, other than the content isn't great. Aside from that, the exposure, colors, and focus are all spot-on.

Sack is a nice capture. Dealing with the difficulties of shooting under the lights, and it turned out pretty well (I think that I actually should have put this in the top 3).

Quarterback, like Sack, is a nice job of shooting under the lights. The only issue is that it's just a little bland for a portfolio. One thing if you're putting the gallery from the game; it's certainly good enough for that, as it's a good picture, but it's just lacking something. There's nothing behind the picture, its just a simple stock picture of the QB.

Puck Battle is missing the faces, and is slightly underexposed.

The Heat, is also just missing something; cant quite tell what it is, I think that it's most likely that the eyes are covered by the glasses.

Victory and Puck Drop are both nice, but Puck Drop is slightly underexposed.

The Kill is not on the same level with the rest of these photos. It's a little noisy (understandably); underexposed; and frankly, not very interesting.

Lefty is a nice image. The downfall however, is that the pitcher is in an awkward position. It takes away from the image.

I would love to see more images. What camera are you using? Lenses?

Nice Work!

RockiesSig.png

Thanks everybody for their feedbacks!

Seems like the top three images overall are Facemask, Lefy and Victory.

And to answer a few of your questions, I'm using Canon 7D. I use a wide variety of lenses, but most of my favorites includes the 70-200 2.8 (for hockey, volleyball), and 300 2.8 (for baseball, football)

If anybody want to check out some more of my photos, you can go to www.dylanheuer.com

You can also leave some feedbacks about the "blog" here if you want to. Next quarter, I'm taking a Web Design course that's designated for photographers so I'm hoping to have a real website in a few months instead of having just a blog.

Thanks again!

IowaOaks.png

And to answer a few of your questions, I'm using Canon 7D. I use a wide variety of lenses, but most of my favorites includes the 70-200 2.8 (for hockey, volleyball), and 300 2.8 (for baseball, football)

If anybody want to check out some more of my photos, you can go to www.dylanheuer.com

You can also leave some feedbacks about the "blog" here if you want to. Next quarter, I'm taking a Web Design course that's designated for photographers so I'm hoping to have a real website in a few months instead of having just a blog.

Thanks again!

Great lenses. Those are my two go to as well; except I use the sigma 85 1.4 (usually at 1.8) for volleyball. The 70-200 and 300 are a great pair for football.

Great work, cool to see the Red Wings photos. I interned there a couple of summers ago.

What shutter-speeds are you getting at the hockey and volleyball?

RockiesSig.png

Thanks again!

Great lenses. Those are my two go to as well; except I use the sigma 85 1.4 (usually at 1.8) for volleyball. The 70-200 and 300 are a great pair for football.

Great work, cool to see the Red Wings photos. I interned there a couple of summers ago.

You interned with the Wings? I was with them for the past two summers. What did you do for them?

As for the shutter speed, i usually use around 1/500 or 1/750 for hockey while I use around 1/500 for volleyball. RIT's gym's lighting sucks.

IowaOaks.png

Thanks again!

You interned with the Wings? I was with them for the past two summers. What did you do for them?

As for the shutter speed, i usually use around 1/500 or 1/750 for hockey while I use around 1/500 for volleyball. RIT's gym's lighting sucks.

Yeah,

With Matt Cipro. I was still in high school, so I only worked for two weeks (while I was in Rochester).

Weird coincidence.

RockiesSig.png

Archived