Breaking: NBA Lockout is Over

LeGooo

I'm not really concerned with the details of the agreement. What I'm most curious about is the schedule, which is apparently going to be 66 games, 48 conference games, 18 inter-conference games.

Now, if it is 48 conference games, that would indicate 3 games VS each team, with a 4th game against 6 of the 14 opponents. How they would determine which teams get to host the extra home games or which 6 teams each team gets to face a 4th time seems odd to figure out. The 18 inter-conference games of course means visting 9 teams and hosting 9 teams (thus facing 3 teams twice).

And yet, with 66 games, you can have a balanced schedule:

2 home games and 2 away games VS the other 4 teams in your division (16 games)

1 home game and 1 away game VS the other 25 teams in the rest of the league (50 games)

16 + 50 = 66!

What's so wrong with that, NBA?

I agree. They fly on jets. They make good money. They can visit every arena each year, even in this compressed season.

Glad pro sports will be back in Memphis. I follow the Tigers and college hoops, but they have so few home games against quality opponents.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not really concerned with the details of the agreement. What I'm most curious about is the schedule, which is apparently going to be 66 games, 48 conference games, 18 inter-conference games.

Now, if it is 48 conference games, that would indicate 3 games VS each team, with a 4th game against 6 of the 14 opponents. How they would determine which teams get to host the extra home games or which 6 teams each team gets to face a 4th time seems odd to figure out. The 18 inter-conference games of course means visting 9 teams and hosting 9 teams (thus facing 3 teams twice).

And yet, with 66 games, you can have a balanced schedule:

2 home games and 2 away games VS the other 4 teams in your division (16 games)

1 home game and 1 away game VS the other 25 teams in the rest of the league (50 games)

16 + 50 = 66!

What's so wrong with that, NBA?

I agree that would make more sense, but since they use a conference based playoff format, they probably feel it is more important to play the conference games than games against non-conference opponents.

The NBA released the schedule breakdown on Sunday:

Individual Team Schedule Breakdown

*Conference Games:* 48

? Play 6 teams 4 times (2 home, 2 away)

? Play 4 teams 3 times (2 home, 1 away)

? Play 4 teams 3 times (1 home, 2 away)

*Non-Conference Games:* 18

? Play 3 teams 2 times (1 home, 1 away)

? Play 6 teams 1 time at home

? Play 6 teams 1 time away

The NBA released the schedule breakdown on Sunday:

Individual Team Schedule Breakdown

*Conference Games:* 48

? Play 6 teams 4 times (2 home, 2 away)

? Play 4 teams 3 times (2 home, 1 away)

? Play 4 teams 3 times (1 home, 2 away)

*Non-Conference Games:* 18

? Play 3 teams 2 times (1 home, 1 away)

? Play 6 teams 1 time at home

? Play 6 teams 1 time away

So this means that a brand new schedule is coming out soon?

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

anyone know how they will determine who plays what team how many times...random draw?

waiting to see how they will screw the Grizz and other small market teams with the schedule...bunch of Grizz fans figure we will have 3 back-to-back-to-backs while teams like the Lakers have only one (NBA already said everyone will have 1-3 sets of 3 games in 3 days.)

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

waiting to see how they will screw the Grizz and other small market teams with the schedule...bunch of Grizz fans figure we will have 3 back-to-back-to-backs while teams like the Lakers have only one (NBA already said everyone will have 1-3 sets of 3 games in 3 days.)

What in the world makes you think that? When has the NBA been unfair to small market teams in terms of back-to-backs?

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Yeah, I'm not really sure what you're talking about on that. The only team that legitimately gets screwed sometimes on the schedules is the Clippers, but that's because we share a stadium with several other teams and get the crappy dates, and we also (along with the Lakers and Kings) have to take a long-ass February road trip every year while the Grammys are using the Staples Center.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I think some of us small market fans sometimes think the NBA is constantly pulling for a big market finals, even more so than the other leagues, so we think the league will do whatever it can to give those teams an advantage.

exhibit A: Kings/Lakers 2002 West Final game 6

exhibit B: 85 NBA draft (Ewing)

Although I will admit it's a little crazy to extend that to redoing a schedule in 10 days. But I have crazy all around me. I don't believe this, but I've had people in Memphis tell me they think the NBA is setup like a WWE match.

RIP Demitra #38

Yeah, I'm not really sure what you're talking about on that. The only team that legitimately gets screwed sometimes on the schedules is the Clippers, but that's because we share a stadium with several other teams and get the crappy dates, and we also (along with the Lakers and Kings) have to take a long-ass February road trip every year while the Grammys are using the Staples Center.

Yeah...who could forget last season's 11-game roadie for the Clips, where Staples had the Grammys AND the NBA All-Star Weekend?

I think I remember this season's original schedule having the Clips on an 8-game February trip...no telling what the new schedule is going to look like.

Archived