Breaking: NBA Lockout is Over

LeGooo

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm ambivalent with regard to the NBA, so I'm neither one who is happy nor pissed to see the lockout end.

In 1994 Major League Baseball's players and owners nuked the conclusion of a season, and reduced the 1995 season due to similar ridiculousness. Save for one 2001 game in which someone else bought the ticket, I've not attended a game. I've not bought a hat (though frequently tempted), shirt, jersey, or anything else connected with MLB. They washed their hands of me as a fan then, and I've washed my hands of them ever since.

The National Hockey League's players and owners nuked an entire season, again without a bit of concern for fans of the sport. Prior to this I went to Carolina Hurricanes games religiously, often times in my company's skybox. But, aside from attending a single Stanley Cup Final game (because my wife bought the tickets), I've not attended a game since. Like MLB, the NHL's not seen a dime of my money since, for the same reasons.

If I were a pro basketball fan (and until scoring in the NBA dropped by about a third per game, I was), I'd be incredibly pissed at the way things were handled, and how fans were essentially forgotten about while millionaire players and billionaire owners fought. While the "butt-hurt" level wouldn't be the same as with MLB or the NHL, losing even part of a season would be enough to turn me off on the league permanently.

nav-logo.png

If I were a pro basketball fan (and until scoring in the NBA dropped by about a third per game, I was), I'd be incredibly pissed at the way things were handled, and how fans were essentially forgotten about while millionaire players and billionaire owners fought. While the "butt-hurt" level wouldn't be the same as with MLB or the NHL, losing even part of a season would be enough to turn me off on the league permanently.

I don't hold grudges like that, though. I follow the NBA because I love it. I'm not going to stop following it in order to make some ridiculous "stand." Honestly, the NBA couldn't care less about whether I, specifically, stop following it. They won't even find out. So, if I genuinely love following the league (which I do), I'd only be hurting myself if I choose to "wash my hands" of the league.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I am not an NBA fan but I am happy for the fans in cities like Portland, Sacramento, Oklahoma City, Memphis,Salt Lake City, San Antonio and Orlando. They get their sports back.

t5ty54wyetw_zpsubqd9h5t.jpg

St. Paul Pioneers(GHA) Minnesota Skeeters(CL) Minnesota Lake Monsters(UFL)

I am not an NBA fan but I am happy for the fans in cities like Portland, Sacramento, Oklahoma City, Memphis,Salt Lake City, San Antonio and Orlando. They get their sports back.

Especially Orlando who gets the All Stars and OKC who has a team that can go far.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Not necessarily.

What I've learned from the lockout is that I just don't care about the NBA.

Until now, I considered myself a casual fan. I'd check the scores, watch some games on television, and even make it to the Garden once a year. But I'm shocked that I didn't miss the game at all. I guess I've lost even that.

Pretty much where I'm at.

I was a huge Bucks fan when I was younger, but between the league stacking the deck against them in the 2001 ECF and their being owned by someone who couldn't care less about fielding a competitive team, I haven't been able to find a reason to care about the NBA for almost an entire decade. And this is from someone who once thought nothing of seeing the Bucks a dozen times each year.

Add to it, the basketball program at my alma mater started becoming relevant just as I became a student there and has since developed into one of the better mid-majors in the Midwest (not quite on the level of, say, Butler, but we did beat them twice last year :D). Thats been more exciting for me as a fan than anything thats happened in the NBA during that time.

Now granted, I do prefer college hoops over the NBA for a variety of reasons (and thank you everybody for not using the "NCAA IS GOOD OLD WHITE GUYS LIKE REDICK AND JIMMER WHILE THE NBA'S FULL OF THUGZZ" argument. That's probably the stupidest thing that comes out of NCAAB/NHL vs. NBA debates)

No problem... I happen to think the NBA sucks for plenty of reasons aside from the stock rants by reactionary troglodytes :D

A player should never be traded for an "expiring contract". A team should not ever make a trade for a retired player. Your average 8-year old should never know what a "mid-level exception" is.

The previous agreement destroyed the league for a lot of fans. It introduced a ridiculous amount of player-movement rules and prevented teams from recovering from mistakes (someone makes a dumb free-agent signing and they're essentially done until that contract expires.)

I have no idea if the new agreement addresses those issues, but if so, then they did have the fans' best interests in mind. OF COURSE the players want as much money as they can get. We all want to get paid more for our jobs. Blaming them is dumb. They have an obligation to each other to fight for every last dollar. Hopefully the owners realized that the current system was destroying fan interest (and as a result costing them money) and decided that it would be better in the long run to risk nuking the season in order to fix it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Bird rights mean you can sign your drafted stars for more money and more years than what's otherwise the league maximum for both. This was circumvented by sign-and-trades.

I'm still not totally sure what a mid-level exception is.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

As a fringe NBA fan for the better part of the last 10 years, I'm actually pretty interested in seeing how this shortened season works. It's actually kind of nice not having the NBA start until Christmas, because as others have said - that's when most people start watching the games anyway.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Bird rights mean you can sign your drafted stars for more money and more years than what's otherwise the league maximum for both. This was circumvented by sign-and-trades.

Mid-level exception means that teams above or near the salary cap can still sign a player (the exception part) to a deal starting at the average NBA player salary (the mid-level part). I don't know about the new system, but in the old system, the mid-level exception could be used on one player or split between multiple players. I believe that's how the Lakers were able to sign Gary Payton and Karl Malone several years ago.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

And that sums up exactly what is wrong with the NBA. Nobody should have to know all kinds of complicated things like that. There shouldn't be things like "sign-and-trade", etc.

No league in which Andres Nocioni (?) makes > $7M should exist. You shouldn't get into the offseason knowing that the only way your club can improve is to fill in a spot with a "mid-level-exception" and possibly "Larry Bird" somebody. It's just not fun to watch a team comprised of players who aren't there because management felt that they could help improve the team, but they're there because they fit into these exceptions or other needlessly-complicated roles.

Hopefully this new deal resolves that mess.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Mid-level exception means that teams above or near the salary cap can still sign a player (the exception part) to a deal starting at the average NBA player salary (the mid-level part). I don't know about the new system, but in the old system, the mid-level exception could be used on one player or split between multiple players. I believe that's how the Lakers were able to sign Gary Payton and Karl Malone several years ago.

The tentative agreement DOES allow for multiple players to be signed with the mid-level exception.

The basic agreement is out in Google Doc form and can be read here.

Thanks, I remembered it had something to do with league-average salary, just couldn't get the other part. Between NBA salary cap, NHL salary cap, and things that aren't sports, my brain ran out of space.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

And that sums up exactly what is wrong with the NBA. Nobody should have to know all kinds of complicated things like that. There shouldn't be things like "sign-and-trade", etc.

No league in which Andres Nocioni (?) makes > $7M should exist. You shouldn't get into the offseason knowing that the only way your club can improve is to fill in a spot with a "mid-level-exception" and possibly "Larry Bird" somebody. It's just not fun to watch a team comprised of players who aren't there because management felt that they could help improve the team, but they're there because they fit into these exceptions or other needlessly-complicated roles.

Have you seen the MLB's contract clauses? Just as nuts. They may not be as publicized because the MLB isn't having a labor dispute, but those weird types of contract clauses need to be there in order get things to get done. I actually think the mid-level exception and sign and trade make a lot of sense. Without a mid-level exception the salary cap would be meaningless, and a sign-and-trade prevents a Carlos Boozer-esque style of free agency (meaning he up and left the Cavs when he told them he would stay. A sign and trade would have allowed him to leave the team, while he got his money, and the Cavs were compensated) I know it all sounds ridiculous, but they kind of need to happen.

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Have you seen the MLB's contract clauses? Just as nuts. They may not be as publicized because the MLB isn't having a labor dispute, but those weird types of contract clauses need to be there in order get things to get done. I actually think the mid-level exception and sign and trade make a lot of sense. Without a mid-level exception the salary cap would be meaningless, and a sign-and-trade prevents a Carlos Boozer-esque style of free agency (meaning he up and left the Cavs when he told them he would stay. A sign and trade would have allowed him to leave the team, while he got his money, and the Cavs were compensated) I know it all sounds ridiculous, but they kind of need to happen.

Teams are just coming up with ways around a system instead of fixing the system. Sure it happens in all sports, but it seems way more ridiculous in basketball than anywhere else (though hockey is probably a getting close, what with their "try out" contracts.)

I'm not really concerned with the details of the agreement. What I'm most curious about is the schedule, which is apparently going to be 66 games, 48 conference games, 18 inter-conference games.

Now, if it is 48 conference games, that would indicate 3 games VS each team, with a 4th game against 6 of the 14 opponents. How they would determine which teams get to host the extra home games or which 6 teams each team gets to face a 4th time seems odd to figure out. The 18 inter-conference games of course means visting 9 teams and hosting 9 teams (thus facing 3 teams twice).

And yet, with 66 games, you can have a balanced schedule:

2 home games and 2 away games VS the other 4 teams in your division (16 games)

1 home game and 1 away game VS the other 25 teams in the rest of the league (50 games)

16 + 50 = 66!

What's so wrong with that, NBA?

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

The tentative agreement DOES allow for multiple players to be signed with the mid-level exception.

The basic agreement is out in Google Doc form and can be read here.

No thanks, I'll just watch the basketball. :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Archived