Breaking: NBA Lockout is Over

LeGooo

I know this might sound like just the same old puckhead rant to the hoops nuts, but whatever. It almost seemed like ESPN and the big media were resigned to the fact that there was going to be no NBA so they were giving the NHL it's due. It was getting more and more coverage (because they needed something to fill time) and came to a head with Crosby's explosive return. Seemed like we were almost turning a corner. Well now we're back to the status quo... dunk, dunk, dunk, dunk, dunk...

My advice is to stop watching ESPN, if you have the means. Since I got DirecTV this year with NBATV, MLB Network, NFL Network and NHL Network, I get to watch whatever sport I feel like when *I* want to, not when ESPN dictates. And there are more highlights and less PTI imitations. And they move on, rather than dwell on TO, LeBron, Tebow, -- and quite honestly, minute-by-minute minor-injury updates for a weekly football league, etc. My frustration level has gone down immensely since I went ESPN-free. (Except for live games.) I enjoy sports a lot more.

I don't have the luxury of the omni-package, but I do watch a ton of my games on the internet. I go to ESPN purely for highlights and entertainment. Sometimes I'm able to get NHL Network online through other channels, but I do like watching things on my TV :lol: Watching the world through the little box in my lap doesn't always do it for me.

Sports media is virtually infinite at present, yet people are bitching that this "takes away" from NHL coverage. If you thought the absence of the NBA was going to make NHL fans out of people, you made a pretty big miscalc.

It's taking away from the mainstream coverage. I never thought it was going to make NHL fans out of people. If the full season had been cancelled, maybe some go over to the NHL, but now that the NBA is coming back, anybody that even picked up a shred of the NHL probably hasn't been too attached to it and can fall right back into the NBA's arms.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love how buttsore this seems to make some people.

It seems to bother those that depend on ESPN as being their lone source for sports.

You mean ESPNFL? :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Attempting-to-give-a-damn.gif

College Hoops > NBA

Except you gave enough of a damn to post that.

Yup, it took me all of 30 seconds to make a post at a sports message board that I participate in anyway... which is about how much time I spend watching the NBA in any given season.

If people are legitimately entertained by what the NBA has become, then more power to 'em. I just wish the local NBA franchise would leave town and make room for something that could actually be relevant.

College Hoops > NBA

Except you gave enough of a damn to post that.

Yup, it took me all of 30 seconds to make a post at a sports message board that I participate in anyway... which is about how much time I spend watching the NBA in any given season.

If people are legitimately entertained by what the NBA has become, then more power to 'em. I just wish the local NBA franchise would leave town and make room for something that could actually be relevant.

The point is you bitched about the NBA coming back, which shows you do give a damn, even if that damn is negative!! Normally, if I don't give a damn about a subject on the boards, I tend to ignore it!!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Not necessarily.

What I've learned from the lockout is that I just don't care about the NBA.

Until now, I considered myself a casual fan. I'd check the scores, watch some games on television, and even make it to the Garden once a year. But I'm shocked that I didn't miss the game at all. I guess I've lost even that.

I'm happy for NBA fans, but after this lockout I've learned that I'm no longer among them.

College Hoops > NBA

No, not categorically. Certainly not in the level of play.

Nope. Not even close. For years I believed that college hoops was more entertaining than the NBA. I also wasn't watching the NBA during that time. Then I started following the NBA again last season. After 4 months of watching the NBA, I could barely tolerate the NCAA Tournament.

I love how buttsore this seems to make some people.

Personally, I find it mind-boggling. Not an NBA fan? Fine. I get that. To get pissed that they're going to play? I don't even know what to think about that.

BB52Big.jpg

The season will start Christmas Day, which is where it should start EVERY season, since no one cares about the NBA until Christmastime anyway.

You must not be a real NBA fan. I care about the NBA all year long...

Welp, I prefer soccer/football over basketball. But that's beside the point. By and large, the majority of the country really could not give a damn about early-season basketball, and only begin to start caring around Christmas.

spacer.png

If you all hate the NBA there is an option called not watching it. However, you should at least be happy for the fans of the league who want to watch it.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I do hate the NBA, but I'm kind of happy that its back for the sake of all the arena workers and other people who depend on the NBA to make a living.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Not necessarily.

Until now, I considered myself a casual fan. I'd check the scores, watch some games on television, and even make it to the Garden once a year. But I'm shocked that I didn't miss the game at all. I guess I've lost even that.

I'm happy for NBA fans, but after this lockout I've learned that I'm no longer among them.

But a casual fan wouldn't likely miss it before Christmas, let alone Thanksgiving. How often is your annual trip to the Garden in November?

It's not like they've been gone half a season. They wouldn't have even played a month yet.

Let's please not remain on this tangent any longer than we have to, but I think the "glorified streetball" trope should be limited to the Vince Carter/Allen Iverson/Kevin Garnett lost generation of the early '00s. Barring LeBron's playoff run in '07, you haven't been able to flourish with "just one guy" for years, and even he got pancaked by a a basketball machine in San Antonio. Defense is too good now, better than people think. Hypothetically put Iverson's 2001 76ers, the quintessential "one ringer and a bunch of neighborhood guys" team of the dark ages, against one of Thibodeau's Celtics or Bulls teams. They'd be paralyzed.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The season will start Christmas Day, which is where it should start EVERY season, since no one cares about the NBA until Christmastime anyway.

Welp, I prefer soccer/football over basketball. But that's beside the point. By and large, the majority of the country really could not give a damn about early-season basketball, and only begin to start caring around Christmas.

And by and large, the majority of the country really doesn't give a damn about soccer, and only begin to start caring around World Cup. Yet, somehow, I refrain from posting in soccer threads about how boring soccer is.

I've never seen so many non-NBA fans post in an NBA thread. I don't go to the NHL or soccer threads and piss and moan about how indifferent I am about those sports and leagues. Jesus Christ.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Let's please not remain on this tangent any longer than we have to, but I think the "glorified streetball" trope should be limited to the Vince Carter/Allen Iverson/Kevin Garnett lost generation of the early '00s. Barring LeBron's playoff run in '07, you haven't been able to flourish with "just one guy" for years, and even he got pancaked by a a basketball machine in San Antonio. Defense is too good now, better than people think. Hypothetically put Iverson's 2001 76ers, the quintessential "one ringer and a bunch of neighborhood guys" team of the dark ages, against one of Thibodeau's Celtics or Bulls teams. They'd be paralyzed.

You and your common sense are not welcome in this thread.

You and your common sense are not welcome in this thread.

No, we don't do common sense in these parts. But there's no denying that he hit the nail squarely on the head.

BB52Big.jpg

Not necessarily.

But a casual fan wouldn't likely miss it before Christmas, let alone Thanksgiving. How often is your annual trip to the Garden in November?

You'd be surprised. When your local team is the Knicks, early days are the only fun part of the season. :P

But even if I hadn't gone to a game by now, I would have at least checked the scores. Or I would have expected to miss it.

I guess I'm surprised by the depth of my not caring. The lockout has just revealed that to me.

And by and large, the majority of the country really doesn't give a damn about soccer, and only begin to start caring around World Cup. Yet, somehow, I refrain from posting in soccer threads about how boring soccer is.

I've never seen so many non-NBA fans post in an NBA thread. I don't go to the NHL or soccer threads and piss and moan about how indifferent I am about those sports and leagues. Jesus Christ.

I'm not indifferent to the NBA, it's just behind baseball, hockey, soccer and American football for me. I'm freaking glad it's back, I hate seeing fans unable to cheer for their favorite teams, and I'm breathlessly awaiting the playoffs, since the NBA playoffs are legitimately better than the NHL playoffs (mostly because I don't despise the majority of NBA teams, like I do in the NHL).

You're blowing my comment out of proportion.

spacer.png

Archived