Concussions in Pro Sports

logodawg

It seems that lately there's been a number of NHL players like David Perron, Paul Kariya, and Crosby that will miss entire seasons or more with a concussion and it's after effects, yet in the NFL the players are usually back within a few weeks, if that.

Is it that concussions tend to be more severe in hockey or does the NHL have tougher requirements before clearing player to return? Or am I completely off base and the 3 players I listed unusual cases?

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

I think the NFL has better head protection and a "softer" playing surface, so the initial concussions are less severe.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I think its one of those things where your more likely to get a concussion in the NFL, but more likely to get a severe concussion in hockey. In football there's a collision on every play which is why your more likely to get a concussion there, but two factors I think contribute to why the NHL's concussions are usually worse. One hockey is a faster sport and two the ice surface. You hit your head on that your getting rocked. Grass and field turf at least has some give to it. There is no give to that ice surface though.

Is it that concussions tend to be more severe in hockey or does the NHL have tougher requirements before clearing player to return? Or am I completely off base and the 3 players I listed unusual cases?

No EDIT: Perhaps (some good points brought up while I was typing about the speed of the game and the surface, plus the hardness of the protective equipment should be taken into account as well), probably, and maybe.

The time a player spends out of the lineup with a concussion varies wildly, even in hockey. I think Claude Giroux only missed four games with his. The NHL has seemed extremely cautious with concussions, though. And teams even more so, especially the Penguins with Crosby. Frankly, I would rather they take a little more time, make sure they're 100 per cent recovered, and ensure a longer, healthier career — and life — upon their return.

In the last year, while the NHL has had three players (Boogaard/Rypein/Belak) have deaths ruled as suicides, nothing was more telling than the suicide note left by Dave Duerson.

"PLEASE, SEE THAT MY BRAIN IS GIVEN TO THE N.F.L.?S BRAIN BANK"

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2011-02-22/sports/30023074_1_suicide-note-disability-claims-football-fans#ixzz1kKpWvv00

Look at the NFL Policies and the published NHL statements on their new concussion policy. However, NHL teams can be much more vague on disclosure (i.e. Crosby was said to have "concussion-like symptoms" not a concussion)

The concussions in hockey are more severe. Players are faster, and this makes blind side hits and checks into the boards much more dangerous than in football.

In football, the blind side hits aren't as common, and players can't run as fast as they can skate. Most of us have seen the NHL All-Star Skills competitilon. How fast are the winners skating? Is it over 20 MPH? 15 MPH? Much faster than anyone not named Usaim Bolt can run.

Hockey players' heads are less protected in hockey helmets than football helmets. They're lighter and have significantly less padding. If a player wears a mask, it's barely anything more than an eye shield, and still leaves the chin and lower part of the face unprotected. And players who fight are absolutely more prone to headshots than in other sports...helmetless players are a rarity in football.

As hard as the ice is, I can't necessarily confirm that it causes more concussions...most videos of injuries seem to show the player was already "out" by the time he hits the ice. I remember the hit on Nathan Horton in the Stanley Cup Finals, and he seemed unconscious before his head hit the ice.

There are more injuries in football due to its nature and the size of the players, but concussions are more common in hockey.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

The concussions in hockey are more severe. Players are faster, and this makes blind side hits and checks into the boards much more dangerous than in football.

In football, the blind side hits aren't as common, and players can't run as fast as they can skate. Most of us have seen the NHL All-Star Skills competitilon. How fast are the winners skating? Is it over 20 MPH? 15 MPH? Much faster than anyone not named Usaim Bolt can run.

Hockey players' heads are less protected in hockey helmets than football helmets. They're lighter and have significantly less padding. If a player wears a mask, it's barely anything more than an eye shield, and still leaves the chin and lower part of the face unprotected. And players who fight are absolutely more prone to headshots than in other sports...helmetless players are a rarity in football.

As hard as the ice is, I can't necessarily confirm that it causes more concussions...most videos of injuries seem to show the player was already "out" by the time he hits the ice. I remember the hit on Nathan Horton in the Stanley Cup Finals, and he seemed unconscious before his head hit the ice.

There are more injuries in football due to its nature and the size of the players, but concussions are more common in hockey.

There's also the small matter of NFL teams playing only once a week for a four-month regular season, as opposed to 2-3 times a week for 6 months. More games = more opportunities for a severe injury.

CCSLC signature.png

Where is that data? From youth to the pro level, where is that data?

Aside from first-hand observation, none. In hockey, you have multiple obstacles: glass, boards, ice, players. In football, it's the ground and/or turf, and other players.

It may have happened recently in football, but I can't remember a specific instance of a player missing the remainder of the season due to a concussion. But it's almost a weekly occurrence in hockey.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Where is that data? From youth to the pro level, where is that data?

Aside from first-hand observation, none. In hockey, you have multiple obstacles: glass, boards, ice, players. In football, it's the ground and/or turf, and other players.

It may have happened recently in football, but I can't remember a specific instance of a player missing the remainder of the season due to a concussion. But it's almost a weekly occurrence in hockey.

The standard of care for both pro sports was less even a year ago. Since your first-hand observation is anecdotal, it means little to the facts which we now have. The lack of "brain rest" will leave any league potentially liable in the future.

NHL players miss seasons like Crosby as the team is allowed to disclose less public information (i.e. "upper/lower body injury"). That league has less money and money dedicated to former players, so they have greater liability in any future case as well.

Research and the understanding of concussions has taken a massive step in the last few years, too. Even when I was playing youth, concussions were never a big deal. You'd miss one, maybe two weeks tops. Now, kids are missing months.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Archived