2011-12 NHL Season

njmeadowlanders

GM's have agreed to go through with the 4 conference format.

How will the Prince of Wales and Campbell trophies be determined now?

I hope all will become clear once Phoenix moves to Quebec, and we have 15 teams in the two Western conferences, and 15 in the two Eastern ones. I really, really hope.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like it.

Ideally, I'd like to see the Blue Jackets slide into Winnipeg's spot in the Eastern Conference while the league maintains the current setup, but we all know the NHL wasn't going to throw Columbus that bone. This is a move to appease the more eastern Western Conference teams and it's a solid compromise. It'll shrink travel for teams like the Red Wings, Predators, Stars, and Blue Jackets. It'll give them fewer games outside the eastern time zone and the home-and-home interconference games make the league more unified.

It also levels the playing field between the midwest teams and the other teams playing out East who have a tremendous advantage when it comes to travel.

Most importantly though, Detroit didn't get to muscle their way into the East while all other things remained constant. Good job, BOG.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Also, since Lee started it already on Twitter:

:censored: Winnipeg! Yaaaaay!

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

As far as the trophies, bring back the O'Brien Trophy for one and maybe make the Presidents Trophy for the 4th one or create one and you have trophies for each "conference".

And if they have playoffs in each of the four conferences, no banners for "winning" the conference in regular season, only playoffs.

On twitter, one GM said going into the meeting that Phoenix won't move because there is nowhere for them to go (contraction perhaps?...they'd just have to buy out one team right now, or they could contract Phoenix now and just wait for another team to implode).

Overall, the more I think about it the more I like it. If you're left out of the playoffs by not being in the top 4 of 7/8, even in a strong division, too bad so sad. It's not like baseball when they only had two teams from each league in the playoffs (before the wild card). And fans who've moved will be able to see their team live at least once a year. I hope they reseed for the semifinal round. They can make the series 2-3-2 if the teams are really far away from each other like the NBA does for its finals.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Not sure how I feel about this yet. Seems like there's gonna be way too much Nashville Predators in my life now. More so!

The 16/14 split really does feel like a death sentence for Phoenix or Columbus. Though of course, leave it to the NHL to take up a stupid 16/14 split after baseball abandons it.

On twitter, one GM said going into the meeting that Phoenix won't move because there is nowhere for them to go

Lie. Quebec City already said they'd fund some stopgap improvements to the Colisee, and Kansas City has an arena ready if anyone actually wants to move them there.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

GM's have agreed to go through with the 4 conference format.

How will the Prince of Wales and Campbell trophies be determined now?

Blind draw among the two Stanley Cup finalists.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Not sure how I feel about this yet. Seems like there's gonna be way too much Nashville Predators in my life now. More so!

The 16/14 split really does feel like a death sentence for Phoenix or Columbus. Though of course, leave it to the NHL to take up a stupid 16/14 split after baseball abandons it.

On twitter, one GM said going into the meeting that Phoenix won't move because there is nowhere for them to go

Lie. Quebec City already said they'd fund some stopgap improvements to the Colisee, and Kansas City has an arena ready if anyone actually wants to move them there.

If anything there'll be less Nashville Predators in your life. 38 games against the other 7 teams in the "Central Conference" means you'll play either 5 or 6 with Nashville. You play 6 with them now.

Honestly, I really do like this setup. I feel it works well for a gate-driven league, too.

6fQjS3M.png

Well, if it works, break it. I think that's Bettman's motto, isn't it?

I saw rumors about the "idiot round" being brought into the new NHL playoffs. Please tell me that got killed.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Maybe for Phoenix, but staying in the current West would've been a death sentence for Columbus. This decreases travel expenses and greatly reduces the number of games played in the western time zone. It's an improvement for Columbus in every way except that the making the playoffs just got slightly harder on paper. Even then, making the top 4 of this group feels less daunting than making the top 8 of the current West.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I saw rumors about the "idiot round" being brought into the new NHL playoffs. Please tell me that got killed.

Is the idiot round like the new wild card playoff in MLB?

I have to say, for us reel-line-mint fans, this has been a fun year!

And as a Blues fan, I like that we keep the Wings in our division. I think they would have been going East before Columbus and right after Quebec City if they had stayed with 6 divisions.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Archived