2011-12 NHL Season

njmeadowlanders

The Jets play a split-squad game tonight vs. Columbus, so I guess (I know there were exhibition games yesterday) we're gearing up for another hockey season and the official return to Winnipeg.

Let's drop the puck on the season, good luck to all your teams out there, except any Atlantic Division foe not from Manhattan...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as i want the canucks to win the cup this year, i just don't think it's gonna happen. I believe that the caps will FINALLY overcome the 2nd round hump and win it all this year.

I hope you're right about the Caps as I am cautiously optimistic. The Caps need to advance past the Semi-Finals this season in order to subside those fears. The Vokoun signing helps tremendously; however, questions still surround the depth and health of the defensive corp, if the power-play unit will click again, and essentially if most of the players stop halfassing it when it matters most.

/rant

Go Caps Go!

As much as i want the canucks to win the cup this year, i just don't think it's gonna happen. I believe that the caps will FINALLY overcome the 2nd round hump and win it all this year.

History would seem to agree with you. The '09 Pens are the only team to win the Cup after losing the previous year's Finals since Gretzky's Oilers.

The Caps do look loaded this year, but they have for the past couple of years too and have nothing to show for it. That said, if they do make the Finals I don't see anyone in the West beating them.

The West is harder to predict. The Sharks look to be the strongest team, but then, front-loading their roster with a bunch of castaways from the 12th-place Minnesota Wild, of all teams, doesn't exactly give me the warm-and-fuzzies about their prospects this season. As for the Wild themselves, I'll believe they're new-and-improved when I see it, and not a minute sooner.

I get the feeling the Red Wings' generation-long run in the league's upper echelon is finally on its last legs, but then this wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong about that.

CCSLC signature.png

Early, early predictions

East

1. Washington

2. Boston

3. NY Rangers

4. Pittsburgh

5. Buffalo

6. Tampa Bay

7. Philadelphia

8. Toronto

West

1. San Jose

2. Vancouver

3. Chicago

4. Los Angeles

5. Anaheim

6. Detroit

7. Calgary

8. St Louis

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I hope you're right about the Caps as I am cautiously optimistic. The Caps need to advance past the Semi-Finals this season in order to subside those fears. The Vokoun signing helps tremendously; however, questions still surround the depth and health of the defensive corp, if the power-play unit will click again, and essentially if most of the players stop halfassing it when it matters most.

/rant

Go Caps Go!

I dont think the defense has ever been deeper. Hamrlik is an upgrade over Poti the skating groin injury, Widemans injury was a freak occurrence last year. The only one I worry about is Green, and I think him pairing with Hamrlik will be the best thing in the world for him. As long as Alzner and Carlson continue their upward track I dont foresee any problems with the defense. That said, am I ready to anoint them Stanley Cup favorites? Absolutely not.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Losing Hamrlik ruined Phaneuf here in Calgary, he became so terrible in his own end. Hamrlik is very solid and I think he'll flourish in DC, if he can stay healthy.

If he can stay healthy he was the best of our acquisitions over the offseason not named Vokoun. A very sneaky move by GM.

"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

What if Pete DeBoer is a mistake? His tenure in Miami wasn't very impressive.

New Era, your predictions are pretty close to mine, though I'm not seeing how St. Louis finishes ahead of Nashville or even Minnesota. They're about 12 years late to the party on Jason Arnott and Jamie Langenbrunner, and their coach is a knob.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

/rant

Go Caps Go!

I dont think the defense has ever been deeper. Hamrlik is an upgrade over Poti the skating groin injury, Widemans injury was a freak occurrence last year. The only one I worry about is Green, and I think him pairing with Hamrlik will be the best thing in the world for him. As long as Alzner and Carlson continue their upward track I dont foresee any problems with the defense. That said, am I ready to anoint them Stanley Cup favorites? Absolutely not.

That's a valid counterpoint.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the moves that GMGM made this past off season in hopes of them panning out. We're in for one hell of a ride this season.

I know better with this team than to anoint them already. Hell DC sports is littered with reasons to not "crown they asses" after a good offseason. Cautiously optimistic.

What if Pete DeBoer is a mistake? His tenure in Miami wasn't very impressive.

New Era, your predictions are pretty close to mine, though I'm not seeing how St. Louis finishes ahead of Nashville or even Minnesota. They're about 12 years late to the party on Jason Arnott and Jamie Langenbrunner, and their coach is a knob.

You can pretty much interchange Calgary, St Louis with Minnesota, Nashville, Columbus. I wanna see how Heatley and Setoguchi work out in Minny, Nashville is probably going to have to score a ton, but are very solid defensively and in net obviously, and Columbus will need a big bounce back from Steve Mason if they are to get in. With St Louis we're all still awaiting that "Youth Movement" that's already happened in LA, to happen in St Louis.

Should be another crap shoot in the West. That's always fun isn't it.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I think that Drew Doughty may have befriended Alexi Yashin. He's missed 4 days of camp (a 25K fine every day) because he wants a bigger contract. The Kings offered him 6.8M! How can you turn that down?!? Apparently he wants much more than they're offering. Imagine...getting paid millions of dollars to play a game. Seriously, most 20-year olds are making minimum wage serving fast food. How can you be that greedy?

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Archived