2011-12 NHL Season

njmeadowlanders

Why are some of you picking the Flyers to miss the playoffs completely? They still have plenty of offense...

Exactly. I think they addressed the one issue they had (goaltending) and are a legit contender.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love it how everyone assumes he did it because he is black. It's not like he shouted a racial slur at him. Maybe he just doesn't like Simmonds, or the Flyers in general. Why is it that no one said that the man who threw waffles on the ice during a Leafs game did because he hates white people? Oh, right - because he didn't. I don't see how people can actually conclude that this was because of his skin colour. If he threw a banana at Schenn, would everyone say it was racist? Of course not! This isn't the 1930s people. Whenever something bad happens to a black person, everyone comes out and pulls the race card (but not Simmonds, he took it with class). I remember that a contestant who was voted out on Survivor a few years back said that they voted him out because he was black. I can't believe that the general public is buying into this crap. IT WASN'T BECAUSE OF HIS RACE. I don't see how hard it is to understand that, or how easy it is to draw that ridiculous conclusion. Not saying that racism doesn't happen, but you can't just throw it around for everything like this.

Do you know the person who threw the banana personally? If you dont, you CANNOT say what his intentions are. Shut up.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Because until they prove otherwise that they can play in the postseason, people will always have their doubts about the Flyers. How many times over the last decade have experts and analysts put all their eggs in the Flyers basket, many times. Maybe this massive roster change will help, but with such a lack of carry over from last year, most think it'll be tough for them.

But who knows, with this fad lately of teams breaking their cup droughts, maybe it is Philly's time again.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

So Mike Modano signs a one-day contract with Dallas so he could retire as a Star. That was a nice sentimental move. I wish that Sundin would've done that with the Leafs. Apparently Selanne would be open do doing that so he could retire in Winnipeg.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

So Mike Modano signs a one-day contract with Dallas so he could retire as a Star. That was a nice sentimental move. I wish that Sundin would've done that with the Leafs. Apparently Selanne would be open do doing that so he could retire in Winnipeg.

I don't know why.

Selanne did some great things with the Jets, but I think most people (at least me) will remember him as a member of the Avalanche.... Totally kidding, Selanne is a Duck and always will be one, just like Paul Kariya.

I don't know why.

Selanne did some great things with the Jets, but I think most people (at least me) will remember him as a member of the Avalanche.... Totally kidding, Selanne is a Duck and always will be one, just like Paul Kariya.

You scared me for a second.

In other news...

Any update on the Doughty situation?

Doughty and his agent want $7 million a year, which would make him the 3rd highest paid defenseman in the league behind Weber and Campbell and more than Chara. The Kings won't pay him more than their current highest paid player, Anze Kopitar, but will offer him an equal deal at $6.8 million, which would still be $600K more than Lidstrom. Doughty and his agent haven't budged yet, and apparently he's been practicing in Michigan to stay in shape.

Interesting note about Doughty's agent, SoCal teams, and holdouts... Doughty's agent, Don Meehan, is also Bobby Ryan's agent. Ryan went through the same type of contract dispute in Anaheim last year (Ducks weren't paying him more than Getzlaf or Perry, and Bobby knew that, but it was more of a years dispute for UFA status). Anyways, as training camp approached, a deal still wasn't done and it was apparent that Meehan was going to hold out as long as he could to get Bobby's highest demand. Bobby was tired of waiting and didn't want to miss camp, so he circumvented his agent and talked directly to Ducks GM Bob Murray to get a deal done and get in camp on time.

So basically, if Doughty doesn't do something about it himself, he'll be waiting until the Kings give in.

Um yeah, Teemu has never said that. He spent a whole 3 1/2 seasons in Winnipeg and 12 going on 13 seasons in Anaheim. Teemu also went directly went to the Ducks after the lockout when his knee was better so he could come back to win a Cup in Anaheim. He's spent the last 5 years waffling between retirement and Anaheim, and only Anaheim. Even over the summer when the Winnipeg situation came up, what he said was "Oh, that would be interesting for sure, but I'm not leaving Anaheim. It's either Anaheim or I'm done." Anaheim is his home now and has been for a while. Whenever his career is over, yeah he'll still spend summers in Helsinki, but his kids are here, in school, playing hockey with kids of other former Ducks, and Teemu has a job with the Ducks when he's done.

Yeah, Teemu Selanne is, was, and forever will be an Anaheim (Mighty) Duck.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Just waiting for the "WHY IS IT OKAY FOR QUENTIN TARANTINO TO CALL BLACK PEOPLE N WORD BUT WHEN A DRUNKEN IRISHMAN DOES IT" defense analogue.

Also, I'll assume that these guys JUST HAD BANANAS WITH THEM at a hockey game. Total coincidence, spur of the moment thing.

Of course it was pre-meditated. Unless you're at Yankee Stadium where can you buy a banana (or any fruit for that matter) at any stadium/arena?

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Unless you're at Yankee Stadium where can you buy a banana (or any fruit for that matter) at any stadium/arena?

I suppose many sporting venues actually sell fresh fruit, but I've never said to folks, "I'm going to a ballgame today. You know what goes great at a ballgame? A banana!"....

Unless you're at Yankee Stadium where can you buy a banana (or any fruit for that matter) at any stadium/arena?

I suppose many sporting venues actually sell fresh fruit, but I've never said to folks, "I'm going to a ballgame today. You know what goes great at a ballgame? A banana!"....

Agreed.

It was a horrible incident comitted by a moron. Why try to disect it?

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Um yeah, Teemu has never said that. He spent a whole 3 1/2 seasons in Winnipeg and 12 going on 13 seasons in Anaheim. Teemu also went directly went to the Ducks after the lockout when his knee was better so he could come back to win a Cup in Anaheim. He's spent the last 5 years waffling between retirement and Anaheim, and only Anaheim. Even over the summer when the Winnipeg situation came up, what he said was "Oh, that would be interesting for sure, but I'm not leaving Anaheim. It's either Anaheim or I'm done." Anaheim is his home now and has been for a while. Whenever his career is over, yeah he'll still spend summers in Helsinki, but his kids are here, in school, playing hockey with kids of other former Ducks, and Teemu has a job with the Ducks when he's done.

Not saying what I think, just what I heard from people, I know it's hardly the most reliable source. I know that he will always be a Duck, but if he did, it would be to appease the fans. I agree that that shouldn't happen, because the 2011 Jets are the Thrashers, who he never played for, while his Jets are the Coyotes, who he would never play for.

Because until they prove otherwise that they can play in the postseason, people will always have their doubts about the Flyers.

If not for a fluky Game 6 OT goal, Philly may have been '10 champs. Who says they can't play well in the post-season?

Because until they prove otherwise that they can play in the postseason, people will always have their doubts about the Flyers.

If not for a fluky Game 6 OT goal, Philly may have been '10 champs. Who says they can't play well in the post-season?

Granted, it was one time and I mean just making it to the Cup Final is a massive achievement, but the media labels them with these crazy expectations, then people bit*h and complain when they don't fulfill them. Maybe Holmgren decided enough is enough and went out and made the necessary changes.

Still think Bryzgalov was given way too much though.

"If" Reimer had been called up earlier, the Leafs would likely have made the playoffs. "If" the Padres won one more game in 2010, they'd be in the post-season. "If" not for one fluky misplay, the BoSox would have likely won the World Series in 1986. "If" Fraser had eyes, then the Leafs may very well have won the Cup in 1993.

It wasn't a missed call or a cheap play, so it was a good goal nonetheless. Hawks won the Cup, plain and simple.

Not saying what I think, just what I heard from people, I know it's hardly the most reliable source. I know that he will always be a Duck, but if he did, it would be to appease the fans. I agree that that shouldn't happen, because the 2011 Jets are the Thrashers, who he never played for, while his Jets are the Coyotes, who he would never play for.

To sum it all up: It will never happen.

In other news...

Any update on the Doughty situation?

Doughty and his agent want $7 million a year, which would make him the 3rd highest paid defenseman in the league behind Weber and Campbell and more than Chara. The Kings won't pay him more than their current highest paid player, Anze Kopitar, but will offer him an equal deal at $6.8 million, which would still be $600K more than Lidstrom. Doughty and his agent haven't budged yet, and apparently he's been practicing in Michigan to stay in shape.

Interesting note about Doughty's agent, SoCal teams, and holdouts... Doughty's agent, Don Meehan, is also Bobby Ryan's agent. Ryan went through the same type of contract dispute in Anaheim last year (Ducks weren't paying him more than Getzlaf or Perry, and Bobby knew that, but it was more of a years dispute for UFA status). Anyways, as training camp approached, a deal still wasn't done and it was apparent that Meehan was going to hold out as long as he could to get Bobby's highest demand. Bobby was tired of waiting and didn't want to miss camp, so he circumvented his agent and talked directly to Ducks GM Bob Murray to get a deal done and get in camp on time.

So basically, if Doughty doesn't do something about it himself, he'll be waiting until the Kings give in.

It's really not the money that the Doughty camp cares about, they (his agent) want fewer years something like 5 years and the Kings want 7. Why don't the Kings want give Doughty a shorter deal? Simple. They don't want to deal with having Doughty and Kopitar be free agents in the same year. Honestly the money is not the issue and never has been. The issues are years and how much of a cap hit that will create. So it's really not about how much to pay Doughty, but how much paying him will create a cap hit and handicap the team from making moves during the season. Dean Lombardi has a number in his head, and in the end he will win. It's going to be Doughty who's going to cave and come to camp. It'll probably be a 6 year deal at less money than what the Doughty camp (the agent) wanted. I'm starting to get the feeling that Don Meehan is the Scott Boras of hockey and a 100% complete greedy ass who cares more about how much money he can get and not about the players.

... and once at the gate, the security guard would ask, "Is that a banana in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived