How will you remember Ricky Williams

dbackdiehard17

I'll remember Ricky as the guy who cost the Saints a whole lot of draft picks. He was talented and did some good things for them but never lived up to that trade. That's not his fault; who could? What I can't understand is how teams didn't pick up on his peculiarities at Texas. Did he just suddenly become eccentric when he got to the NFL?

I'll also remember Ricky as the subject in one of my favorite sports pics of all time:

img029.jpg

Oh, and for the ridiculously wide pants stripes of the Ditka era. :D

ricky%20williams.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Oh, and for the ridiculously wide pants stripes of the Ditka era. :D

ricky%20williams.jpg

I never noticed that before... I guess it wasn't just Ricky smoking something...

If there is one thing I sense from Ricky, is he goes by his expectations, not others. It may not be to others liking, but he shouldn't give a :censored: about that. I commend him for that. In the end, he actually had a VERY productive career and overall a decent life during that time. Wasted talent? bull :censored: It could be worse... he could have ended up like Maurice Clarett or Lawrence Phillips.

I saw, I came, I left.

I'll remember him as a wasted talent, career dampened by his drug problems.

I'm not sure I necessarily agree with this. It's not like he was hooked on serious drugs and couldn't pull himself out of it like Josh Hamilton or anything. I think he just enjoyed other things more than playing football. Pot can be seen as his football downfall because it's against the rules, but you pretty much have to make the conscious decision that doing what you want is more important to you than football and all the things it can bring you if it's going to prevent you from having an NFL career. What some call a drug problem, I consider more of a desire issue. At least in this case.

Well, I think he could've been a great player, not just a very good player, had it not been for his personal issues.

NFL players should be allowed to smoke weed if they want to. I mean, come on everyone.

Come on? Hmm, I never thought of it like that. I'm convinced.

Williams was just a strange dude who did his own thing. He could have been one of the alltime greats had he wanted to, but he had other things he cared about more. His craziness was just being who he was, and not contrived antics like Chad Johnson or others. He wasn't a bad person like TO, he was just himself. You've got to respect that, at least.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I'll remember Ricky as the guy who cost the Saints a whole lot of draft picks. He was talented and did some good things for them but never lived up to that trade. That's not his fault; who could? What I can't understand is how teams didn't pick up on his peculiarities at Texas. Did he just suddenly become eccentric when he got to the NFL?

That was on dumb ass Ditka, not Ricky.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Ricky is one of the more interesting players there was. Do we want them to "Love the game" or do we respect their "other interests?" And what of those interests are kind of non-specific?

My gut tells me his lost his passion for it (assuming he ever had it) and that he came back for the money. That said, he was productive when he was on the field and had a very long career. And to paraphrase from an above post, his "Rickyness" was just who he was; he did not want to be famous, like a Chad Ochocinco, who tried his best to be famous.

As for pot, while I agree with DG that they (we, infact) should be allowed to smoke it (you had me at "c'mon"), players have to be smart if they want to play and put that stuff aside...they know the rules. Ricky made a choice. Was it as simple as "pot over football"? Who knows.

Could he have been higher on our list of great RBs? Sure. But he lived for himself. He owed us nothing, so fine by me. And as he leaves, there is no reason do dislike him and I don't personally think the NFL suffered during his absence.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

i remember ricky as the guy from texas that was billed a future hall of fame back. Saints trading the entire draft class in what could have been the steal of the century. I forget who the saints traded with. bears i think? and i remember him having some good years but never living up to the draft trade the and after college media hype.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

People keep bringing up how Ricky cost the Saints what virtually amounts to an entire draft worth of picks. But does anyone remember who on the other end of that trade?

Redskins-Facepalm-psd37809.png

Why didn't they (the Redskins) use all those picks to become a dynasty like the Cowboys did when they traded Herschel Walker to the Vikings for all those picks? To me, no one really won in that trade.

That being said, after watching the Run Ricky Run documentary, I'll remember him as a role model to others.

Why?

Well, it's certainly not for what he did before his 1st retirement. But it's for how he came back. Sure. Some people will say he came back for the money. Whatever. I'll believe he came back because he wanted to redeem himself. I've heard multiple accounts that since he's returned, he really is a changed man. Much more insightful. I remember Rich Eisen of the NFL Network saying that Ricky is different from most people, though this was not said in a negative tone. To me, Ricky Williams symbolizes triumph and redemption. That there is not only multiple paths in life, but also multiple destinations of salvation, inner peace, and happiness.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

People keeping bringing up how Ricky cost the Saints what virtually amounts to an entire draft worth of picks. But does anyone remember who on the other end of that trade?

Redskins-Facepalm-psd37809.png

Why didn't they (the Redskins) use all those picks to become a dynasty like the Cowboys did when they traded Herschel Walker to the Vikings for all those picks? To me, no one really won in that trade.

not to redskin jack this thread but that trade alone symbolizes why they have been in limbo for the last 20 years. In fairness they did get CHamp Bailey unfortunately the rest of the drafts afterwards netted them nothing.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I'm glad my "come on" argument was so convincing :)

I'm not a marijuana smoker. I think smells bad and the marijuana "culture" annoys me. However, I'm not convinced it's any worse for you that drinking beer and NFL players aren't tested for Budweiser in their system. The whole thing is dumb.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived