New Hornets Logo, ETC...

BRYWHIT

Does anyone thing the Hornets may mix things up since this will be their first season in the western conf? Their NBA store has very few items which seems wierd. Maybe they are waiting to introduce something. I like the name ( Unless we could get Jazz ) but the logo and colors are outdated. Anyone have a clue?

NOLAbanner.jpg

i doubt they'll do much to change the existing logo, but you never know. we've seen a few NBA changes already for this past year and for the upcoming season. the reason the name seems out of place is that "Hornets" is a regional name to the piedmont of NC that goes back to Revolutionary War stories. it represented our area well but has no meaning elsewhere (kinda like Jazz in Utah, Michigan Lakes in Los Angeles). the teal and purple color combo was a new look back in '88 and has worn off it's appeal by now. Shinn and co have tweaked the colors to a more traditional Mardi-Gras color scheme to remove some the attachment to Charlotte.

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

I do feel that the NO Hornets need some sort of reworking of thier identity. As someone who deals with actual hornets from time to time, I must honestly say that Ive never come across a teal and purple species of hornet :D

in actuality, there are only two species of social wasp in the continental United States that are commonly known as "hornets".

the bald-faced hornet (Dolichovespula maculata) is actually not really a hornet at all, but a type of yellowjacket that builds aerial nests. These are the noted inverted cone shaped paper hives that are often seen hanging from trees or eaves on buildings and such. They are found throughout the mainland US including here in California. They are about half an inch long and are black with pale yellow or white markings. Bald-faced hornets are generally active only during daylight hours and just like most species of social wasp, they are extremely aggresive and can sting multiple times.

the only true hornet in the mainland US is the european hornet (Vespa crabro L.). Found mainly in the eastern half of the country (including Louisiana ^_^ ), the european hornet is large, approximately 1 1/2 inches in length. They are burnt orangish and black in color with some yellow. The euro hornet will build thier nests in more protected places such as a hollow tree or attic rather then in open space like the bald faced hornet. Of course they are aggresive and are capable of inflicting multiple stings, but unlike the day-active bald faced hornet the euro hornet will also be active at night, making them potentially more dangerous.

therefore, I propose the New Orleans Hornets go to this color scheme:

Black, Yellow, Burnt Orange, Gray

if I find time I will put out a concept for them, with uniforms and all.

Since this is logical it will never happen.

Since Utah is known as The Beehive State, it was proposed that The NO Hornets and Utah Jazz swap logo identities when Charlotte relocated.

New Orleans would revert back to the Jazz and Utah would inherit the Hornet, but since it's not really a bee, they would become the Utah Buzz, still keeping some sound semblence of their current name, with some kind of bee as the logo.

I think Utah nixed that idea before it got any steam. Something about the Buzz having a drug users connotation.

However, that would be a great team defense nickname - The Buzz Kill.

Marketing wise, that'd be one of the most absurd things ever. Talk about confusing the customers... like if Microsoft and Apple switched names. Regardless of whether it would make more sense to have those names, those teams would be better off just changing their identities to something new and original, instead of trying to educate the fans that "no, we're not the Jazz anymore. New Orleans took that name back. Now we're the Buzz... we got the Hornets' logo in return... wait, you forgot to buy your ticket!"

It's marketing suicide, which IMO would be the bigger reason why it wouldn't happen, not drug-use connotations of Buzz, regardless of what the official word may have been.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

ICS,

Those colors sound interesting. I'd like to see how they are used. What would the primary color be? Black for away and light grey for home?

NOLAbanner.jpg

New Orleans would revert back to the Jazz and Utah would inherit the Hornet, but since it's not really a bee, they would become the Utah Buzz, still keeping some sound semblence of their current name, with some kind of bee as the logo.

They could not become the "Buzz" because of legal issues involving Georgia Tech's mascot, who is known as Buzz... There used to be a minor league baseball team called the Salt Lake City Buzz or somethin, and They ended up losing in a court battle with GT (who already owned the rights) over the rights to the name "Buzz"..... The minor league team was forced to change names....

Please correct me if I'm wrong.....

The Lion has Spoken

P.S.....I dig the logo Steve-O....very nice

AU-USU-Scoreboard.gif

How can you guys be so shallow. The word "jazz" does have more than one meaning you know. Just incase you didn't know it also means "Animation; enthusiasm". [unnecesseray rude comment mod-edited out.] Besides, when was the last time you saw a piece of Jazz apparel that had a musical instrument or any musical reference in it at all?

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

How can you guys be so shallow. The word "jazz" does have more than one meaning you know. Just incase you didn't know it also means "Animation; enthusiasm". [unnecessary rude comment mod-edited out.] Besides, when was the last time you saw a piece of Jazz apparel that had a musical instrument or any musical reference in it at all?

The Jazz used to have a logo that used a musical note, implying the musical connotations of the name.

Now they have a logo that features mountains, not something I generally associate with "animation, enthusiasm". So it hasn't done anything to make people think of any other definition of Jazz.

Besides, how many sports teams are named after an adjective, especially when the more common use of their name is as a noun?

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Besides, how many sports teams are named after an adjective, especially when the more common use of their name is as a noun?

There's always a first for everything!

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

"Welcome to the NBA on TNT, tonight's game featuring the Los Angeles Good vs. the Utah Jazz. Make sure to catch the Jazz' next game against the Atlanta Fun."

BTW, bs2282, please drop the attitude. You're not impressing anybody.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

BTW, bs2282, please drop the attitude. You're not impressing anybody.

What attitude? I'm not trying to impress a soul Syphi. Sometimes you just have to be blunt to get the point acrossed.

I was actually quoting somebody else's post. That first paragraph came from somebody within FanHome and I thought it made a very interesting point. I didn't mean the whole "learn something new" thing.

Retired Number's To Come

I do feel that the NO Hornets need some sort of reworking of thier identity. As someone who deals with actual hornets from time to time, I must honestly say that Ive never come across a teal and purple species of hornet :D

in actuality, there are only two species of social wasp in the continental United States that are commonly known as "hornets".

the bald-faced hornet (Dolichovespula maculata) is actually not really a hornet at all, but a type of yellowjacket that builds aerial nests. These are the noted inverted cone shaped paper hives that are often seen hanging from trees or eaves on buildings and such. They are found throughout the mainland US including here in California. They are about half an inch long and are black with pale yellow or white markings. Bald-faced hornets are generally active only during daylight hours and just like most species of social wasp, they are extremely aggresive and can sting multiple times.

the only true hornet in the mainland US is the european hornet (Vespa crabro L.). Found mainly in the eastern half of the country (including Louisiana ^_^ ), the european hornet is large, approximately 1 1/2 inches in length. They are burnt orangish and black in color with some yellow. The euro hornet will build thier nests in more protected places such as a hollow tree or attic rather then in open space like the bald faced hornet. Of course they are aggresive and are capable of inflicting multiple stings, but unlike the day-active bald faced hornet the euro hornet will also be active at night, making them potentially more dangerous.

Hey ICS, I have a Hornet nest right above my drive way on my second story roof. What should I do?

1. Grab nest

2. Lick inside.

It'll clean 'em out quick. :D

[Damaged Tounge from licking Hornet nest] I lickked za hernat nessssst. Nowww, I cancht talshk propersly[/Damaged Tounge from licking Hornet Nest]

Archived