Sarnia Sting Jersey Contest

Coco Coolio

Eh... as a Sting fan, I'm not exactly thrilled with this (and I sure won't be buying one) but I guess it could have been a lot worse.

teamlogossig.png

There comes a point when you don't stand for the constant heartbreak anymore, and walk away.

My only question is, the template they provide has the striping and shoulder yoke of the current third, so can that be altered, or do they expect us to use that, which severely limits the design choices and makes this essentially a colouring contest?

EDIT: Couldn't sleep, so I made up a quick submission. Still might make a few changes before sending it in though. I'm not entirely happy with the shoulder numbers, and I don't know how doable the sublimated honey comb pattern is with Edge jerseys.

stingcopy.jpg

Wow, this is very good! I could use this as either a home or alternate if I owned the Sting.

That logo is really awesome! I like how they added the Bluewater Bridge in the background. As for the jersey, it is good, but could be better. Also, for those who said that graphic designers won't win, did you notice that the winner was a graphic designer from Illinois?

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

The logo is a rip-off of the Blues' third jersey logo. They took the team's primary logo, put it in a roundel (that features the same beveling and circles as St. Louis's), and throw a local landmark behind the logo. Not very original but I don't mind the look.

That logo is incredibly sloppy in some areas. Hopefully they would clean it up a bit before producing the jerseys. I like the shoulder stripes, but the wavy arm stripes look a little odd. I think I'd have to see what it looks like in real life to really judge it though.

My only question is, the template they provide has the striping and shoulder yoke of the current third, so can that be altered, or do they expect us to use that, which severely limits the design choices and makes this essentially a colouring contest?

EDIT: Couldn't sleep, so I made up a quick submission. Still might make a few changes before sending it in though. I'm not entirely happy with the shoulder numbers, and I don't know how doable the sublimated honey comb pattern is with Edge jerseys.

stingcopy.jpg

this looks good.... as a pratice jersey. im looking for a throwback idea here to submit.

Love the sleeve stripes, the vertical ones... not so much. Why can't the striped motiff be used on the hem in a traditional way?

• 4 weeks later...

Just to let people know, I'm the "graphic designer" from Illinois. I'm actually a design student, and thought I'd clear a few things up. The wavy arm stripes were put on the jersey after they chose it as the winner...anyone who actually saw my original concept would know that the arm stripes were originally straight. But I guess they did this to help the design fit the cut of their jerseys.

Also, when they contacted me and told me they were using someone else's logo I wasn't totally thrilled but I got over it...It's still my jersey design that will be a good portfolio piece once I get out of college and start looking for design work.

It's a shame the voting was "compromised". It would have been nice to win the contest the way it was intended, by the fans, but to end up getting a call saying that the organization bypassed the voting and picked my concept was a great surprise.

Thanks to those who had nice things to say about my winning design...

Archived