Favorite MLB ballparks

ltjets21

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rankings from the parks I've been to:

9. U.S. Cellular Field- Experience depends on where you sit as well. Worst upper deck ever.

10. Tropicana Field- Baseball is not meant to be played indoors. Obviously not built for baseball. I hope TB gets a park soon.

Have you been to new Comiskey since the upper deck was renovated?

I am pretty sure the main reason Tropicana Field was built was to attract a baseball team. It's a baseball stadium first and foremost, always has been.

I'm biased, but mine is Safeco Field just because of its massive scoreboard. Huge upgrade compared to what we used to have.

20130328newsafecoscreen_js_007.jpg

Yikes, not many fans in that shot
I don't think that's during a game.
Look at what inning it was, it was definitely during a game

I'm biased, but mine is Safeco Field just because of its massive scoreboard. Huge upgrade compared to what we used to have.

I doubt it, that's a suit on the field, they're probably just previewing it before their opener.

I loved Safeco when I went a few years ago, I'd love to see it now with all the upgrades. My favorite section was the bullpen area for fans where you could practically reach out and touch a player.

Coors Field unveiled their new party deck in right field today aka "The Rooftop". It's not only the biggest balcony in all of sports, but also the largest bar in the state of Colorado. Looks awesome.

BkZj460CQAA5dQ-.jpg

BkZjoGTCcAAPube.jpg

coorsfield-rooftop-sign.jpg

Very cool and a good idea. When I went to Coors field I took a walk up there because I was always curious why they'd put outfield seats that high up and I wanted to see the view. Turns out the view was terrible so turning it into a party area makes better use out of it than some seats that go unused most of the time.

Cleveland has a very similar layout to Coors Field and they should think about doing the same thing. The Indians rarely even sell upper deck tickets though.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The picture of Safeco's scoreboard wasn't taken during a game, it was taken during an open house in March of 2013.

Rankings from the parks I've been to:

9. U.S. Cellular Field- Experience depends on where you sit as well. Worst upper deck ever.

10. Tropicana Field- Baseball is not meant to be played indoors. Obviously not built for baseball. I hope TB gets a park soon.

Have you been to new Comiskey since the upper deck was renovated?

I am pretty sure the main reason Tropicana Field was built was to attract a baseball team. It's a baseball stadium first and foremost, always has been.

Perhaps the upper deck is better now, but I'm in no rush to sit up there again. Last time I sat up there was 2006, and I had to lean way out to see home plate. Not to mention that the section is really steep. The park can also be really strict about seat assignments. If you don't have a field level ticket chances are you aren't getting to that level.

The Trop may have been built for baseball, but the layout for the concources wasn't thought out well. I had decent seats along the first baseline at field level, but it involved a maze of stairways to get to the section. I just expected better.

To be honest I'd go back to all of these places. I'm looking to go to U.S. Cellular in May and Busch III and maybe the Trop and Fenway in June.

I saw my first major league game at Busch II in its final year, so it has a special place in my heart. I really like New Busch, but maybe I'm biased.

I actually really like Cleveland as well. Cincinnati is an alright park, but the few blocks around it are poorly set up for hosting sports events.

As far as minor league parks go, I love Victory Field in Indy, but I've never been to another minor league park to compare it to.

I have been to the folowing:

Tiger Stadium

Comerica Park

Fulton County Stadium

Turner Field

US Cellular Field

Rangers Republic

I have to say Tiger Stadium was a classic. I have fond memories of going there when I was a kid. One characteristic that was neat at Tiger Stadium was the broadcast booth. It was right above and behind home plate.

• 1 month later...

Kingdome. No place like dome. This was our first big league stadium. Never forget.

BjyU9-ZCEAE_Quo.jpg

What was that big apparatus hanging from the middle of the roof? And how long was it there? I know it had to have been gone by at least early-mid 90s.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

Kingdome. No place like dome. This was our first big league stadium. Never forget.

BjyU9-ZCEAE_Quo.jpg

What was that big apparatus hanging from the middle of the roof? And how long was it there? I know it had to have been gone by at least early-mid 90s.
That pic was from from Opening Night 1985. I don't know what that stuff is. Streamers perhaps? It was present for the 1979 All Star Game as well. It appears to be missing from the ceiling by the time Jerry Reuss took his photos in 1988.

On Friday, I will be attending my 18th MLB park since 2002 (AT&T Park, San Francisco).

I have been to:

Fenway Park (36 times and counting)

Yankee Stadium (the old one)

Rogers Centre

Tropicana Field

Oriole Park at Camden Yards

US Cellular Field

Kaufmann Stadium

Comerica Park

Shea Stadium

Citizen's Bank Park

Nationals Park

Olympic Stadium (Before the Expos moved)

Wrigley Field

Miller Park

Busch Stadium (The current one)

Petco Park

Chase Field

Taking Fenway out of the equation because I'm biased, my top three so far are Detroit, St. Louis and Milwaukee. WrigleyVILLE is awesome. Wrigley Field stinks.

mainescarf.png

Coors Field unveiled their new party deck in right field today aka "The Rooftop". It's not only the biggest balcony in all of sports, but also the largest bar in the state of Colorado. Looks awesome.

BkZj460CQAA5dQ-.jpg

BkZjoGTCcAAPube.jpg

coorsfield-rooftop-sign.jpg

Very cool and a good idea. When I went to Coors field I took a walk up there because I was always curious why they'd put outfield seats that high up and I wanted to see the view. Turns out the view was terrible so turning it into a party area makes better use out of it than some seats that go unused most of the time.

Cleveland has a very similar layout to Coors Field and they should think about doing the same thing. The Indians rarely even sell upper deck tickets though.

I'd add Miller Park to this. I sat right behind home plate in the upper deck the first time I went to a game there and had trouble distinguishing ground balls from pop flys. Turn it into a party deck for all the drunken meatheads who like getting sh~tfaced on $8 beers.

Some of the responses on here have really surprised me, I guess the cool thing is that our tastes in ballpark design/atmosphere/amenities are very diverse across the board. I never thought I'd ever hear someone say they enjoyed Tropicana Field over Camden Yards.....or over any other ballpark for that matter. So what does everyone value the most in their ballpark experience? For me, it'd have to be the ballpark design combined with atmosphere/feel.

Here's my ranking of parks I've been to:

1) San Francisco (pure awesomeness, what else is there to say?)

2) Boston (what a baseball park should feel like--heard the same about Wrigley)

3) Baltimore (I would like to invite wonderbread to this place again esp when it's sold out)

4) Pittsburgh (haven't been there since they started winning, probably should be higher on list, best view of downtown in MLB)

5) Seattle (surprised how nice the view and design were here, one of the best in baseball)

6) Colorado (nothing wrong with this park, love the mountains)

7) Washington, D.C. (the ideal park/setting for DC)

8) Anaheim (haven't been there since they remodeled the 2nd time around)

I really have to get out and see all the ballparks in the midwest, I've heard great things!

AT&T Park in SF is pretty sweet. :)

I remember Jacobs Field or whatever it's called now in Cleveland being nice.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Been to:

The Jake

Shea Stadium

Citi Field

Yankee Stadium (old)

Qualcomm Stadium

Great American Ballpark

Fenway

I was too young to remember much of Fenway, so my favorite on the list is Great American Ballpark. I loved the mix of the view of the city and the Ohio River.

12. Exhibition Stadium (Toronto) -- Early 80s, aunt and uncle living in Toronto, went to two Angels-Blue Jays games mainly to see Reggie Jackson and Rod Carew, two of the best and two of my favorites. I remember being shocked that the stadium was shaped the way it was, and also remember peering down from CN tower at rail yard at future location of SkyDome.

11. Memorial Stadium (Baltimore) -- Same aunt and uncle moved to Baltimore and I took in a couple games there. Cavernous, anonymous stadium but one of my favorite all-time sports memories was at Mariners game there watching Ken Griffey Sr. and Jr. running out to outfield arm in arm. Blessed to see that one.

10. Veterans Stadium (Philadelphia) -- Terrible cookie-cutter stadium but my first visit to MLB stadium (with same uncle living in Philly at the time), seeing Bob Forsch one-hit the Phils in 79, one year before their greatest year ever. Always held soft spot for Phils because of that experience and 80 season.

9. Riverfront Stadium (Cincinnati) -- My home team (I'm from KY) and site of most of my visits to MLB games. First game there with Little League saw folks throw batteries at future Red Dave Parker and his Bucs. Loved sitting in yellow section because it was covered, during several rainy games.

8. Angel Stadium (Anaheim) -- Visited there with brother-in-law year before Angels won it all, against Diamondbacks the year they won it. Great game, and I was shocked at all the renovations that actually made it a nice stadium after being so humdrum before.

7. Progressive Field (Cleveland) -- Only been there once but loved the experience, thought it was such a vast improvement to the Mistake. Plan to go back there next summer with Cleveland area family.

6. Nationals Park (DC) -- Went there opening season when cherry blossoms were in bloom. My son had his picture taken with the eagle mascot as well as all four presidents. Really great experience sitting on front row in right field. Very nice seeing some of our nation's patriotic architecture from stadium.

5. Turner Field (Catlanta) -- First time there was impressed with The Alley under outfield stands, with so many things for kids to do. The two times we've been there we've seen some of the most incredible games of our lives, ending both times on walk-offs.

4. Great American Ballpark (Cincinnati) -- New field of my favorite team has really grown on me as they've added new amenities. When it opened it lacked the steamboat restaurant feature as well as a lot of the kids activities, so I felt sort of "That's it?" Over the years, though, it's really improved, and we witnessed my favorite live game experience the first series the Yankees played in Cincy since 1976, when the Reds beat Pettitte and the Bombers in a back and forth duel.

3. Kaufmann Stadium (KC) -- Randomly went there when passing through with my dad at the tail end of a 6,000 mile driving tour of the west, and was really shocked at the beauty of the stadium, especially its water feature. The Royals were totally irrelevant in the early 90s when I was there, but the game experience was great.

2. Oriole Park at Camden Yards (Baltimore) -- From the moment we entered, we were in love. Every part of the experience was perfect to me, from the BBQ aroma throughout the stadium, to the beauty of the architecture, to the fact that they were honoring Fernando Valenzuela (one of my all-time faves) for a Player of the Week award during one of his many short comebacks.

1. Fenway Park (Boston) -- No comments necessary. The real deal. A gritty, hard-core, true baseball fan's heaven.

Archived