Favorite MLB ballparks

ltjets21

Target- Target field is great, especially when you take in part what it did to that part of downtown. Before, it was the end of the downtown, a discount parking lot. But in that tiny footprint, they made an absolute gem. Everything is stacked tight, but done beautifully. The place has about 10 unique sight-line experiences that make it a modern classic.

This is absolutely the most important takeaway from Target Field: it has about four or five nooks and crannies that make for really interesting environments. I love sitting in the little four-row enclosed section in right field -- a cubby-hole wind-tunnel right on top of the action. A meteorologist there even wrote about how each part of the stadium can literally feel different.

http://blogs.mprnews.org/updraft/2010/03/target_field_features_many_mic/

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

Do you realize the stadium is 100 years old?

Yes, but the suites were installed in 1989.

But there was only so much room to build them. There was a limit to how big they could make them.

Estadio de Béisbol Monterrey. Former and perhaps future MLB ballpark. Influenced by Jack Murphy Stadium.

Bwt8gSDIAAAD_mp.jpg

When did Monterrey have an MLB team?

Shouldn't this thread be retitled "PhantomDreamer posting pics of random stadiums, most misidentified as former or future MLB stadiums"?

What's random about it? Estadio de Béisbol Monterrey was once a MLB ballpark. Regular season games were played there, it counts.

Shouldn't this thread be retitled "PhantomDreamer posting pics of random stadiums, most misidentified as former or future MLB stadiums"?

What's random about it? Estadio de Béisbol Monterrey was once a MLB ballpark. Regular season games were played there, it counts.

So if I go on a trip to Paris and stay there for a week, I can tell people I once lived in Paris?

So if I go on a trip to Paris and stay there for a week, I can tell people I once lived in Paris?

No but you could call it your FAVORITE place. The thread is called FAVORITE mlb ballparks.

1). Dodger stadium (the renovations have fix 90% of the problems it had before.)

2). Atnt park (beautiful, modern classic.)

3). Angel stadium (its modern but it doesn't feel bland. A nice little change if you primarly go to a classic park.)

4). Petco park (fits the area nicely, feel It's at its best during the day.)

30). Oakland Co (raiders play there even if its meny problems weren't there it'd be enough for me to justify putting it last. )

uig7aiht8jnpl1szbi57zzlsh.gif4jzjfvwxifvemelyh9xjbnyr4.gifefvfv5b5g1zgpsf56gb04lthx.gif594153172016.gif

Kershaw is GOD! Kershaw is LIFE! Kershaw is ALL!

I'll only rate the currently used parks I've been to out of fairness to the 21 I've yet to visit. I've also visited since demolished Shea, soon to be demoslished Candlestick and now football only Qualcomm but won't include them.

1) Petco Park - It's just a gorgeous venue that is perfectly integrated into the Gaslamp and East Village and is really part of its city in a way few other parks can match. Do agree with the comment that it is even better during the day. Always love how open it is particularly on the concourses which give you a great view of the Bay and city as you wander. Hard to find a bad seat as even the upper deck is cantelivered to be right on top of the action. Plenty of shade on hot days, but plenty of sun for those that like it. Also helps that it has, bar none, the best beer and food selection of any sporting venue I've ever visited. After 5 years there are still beers and food I've yet to try.

2) Fenway Park - The place oozes history, which you can now see even better after they finished cleaning up all the old things it used to ooze pre-renovation. The definition of a quirky band box and any seats worth getting are practically on the field (do avoid the upper half of the main deck however as they really are obstructed views). And I get a kick out of the Fenway Frank vendors every time. No pre wrapped dogs here. Fans are definitely territorial as it's always interesting to show up in opposing gear.

3) Angel Stadium - quintessentially LA, even more so than Dodger Stadium with it's totally suburban location and freeway views. In great shape for a stadium pushing 50 and in many ways is not unlike the "retro" parks. And the prices are shockingly affordable in a region that is known for fleecing people. Fans are far friendlier at Angel Stadium than up the 5.

4) Safeco Field - Gorgeous upper deck views, good location near Pioneer Sq and a good looking park come together to produce a real winner with Safeco. Also like that the roof is less a roof and more an umbrella. It's huge but feels less obtrusive than it otherwise could have been.

5) Dodger Stadium - Even when taking Dodger fans into account it is an amazing ediface to visit particularly when you come in from the home plate side then drive around it. I've always loved parks with the old 60's light standards. And lets face it, the whole place is actually a small canyon, not just a ballpark. Plus you've got to love a Dodger Dog

6) AT&T Park - The location is without a doubt the park's stellar attraction, as putting a park direction on the water was inspired. The only downside are the compromises they made to do so shoehorning it into a slightly smaller than desirable lot which leave the park with small concourses, too few bathrooms etc... Does have a good food and beverage selection though.

7) Chase Field - My most recent "new" park to visit. The novelty of a sealed air conditioned roof was quite interesting, and when it's 100+ degrees outside it's obviously needed. But there was something strange visiting a ballpark you enter more like an arena. And indeed inside it feels more like an arena than a ballpark. Upper deck was very far away from the action. Food selection was passable but the beer selection was pitiful.

8) O.co Coliseum - Mount Davis... ruined this once decent multipurpose ballpark, and the Raiders ruin the field every fall. Concourses are small, dark, and sad. Bathrooms haven't been cleaned since the Nixon administration. Seats are practically in the next zip code they're so far from the field. Food selection is decent and they do have some decent brews too. Fans are the real winner here as the ones that come are knowledgeable, and passionate.

9) Turner Field - Turner Field was a very big disapppointment. For a newer park, even one with it's Olympic origins, it felt more like an old multipurpose stadium than a retro park. Has not aged well with rebar showing through concrete, brick falling off walls, it really feels like it was built on the cheap. The lower concourse is the darkest, and dankest I've ever visited. And the upper concourses are devoid of any character. And all of this without Oakland's obvious excuse of being MLB's sole NFL/MLB multipurpose park left.

Archived