Your 2012 National Hockey Lockout Thread

Lee.

Fan's in Toronto expect something out of their NHL team? I don't really see the pressure they're putting on their team when they merrily sell out every game for the only franchise not to make the playoffs since the lock out.

You aren't honestly be suggesting that selling out every game for a pathetic team shows that Leafs fans DON'T care, are you? It means the exact opposite. Ask Justin Pogge, Mikhail Tellqvist, Andrew Raycroft, and Jonas Gustavsson. When you thrust a goalie into Toronto with the expectation of being the star #1, fans and media will settle for nothing less and will tear him apart at the first sign of faltering. Toronto makes Philadelphia look like goalie heaven.

I think JVR could work at centre for us. He has experience playing there, and would be a sure upgrade over Bozak. If that is the case, there will be a bit of a logjam for bottom-six centres, which will hopefully result in a Limbardi demotion.

Are you seriously comparing these guys to Luongo? None of them were established goalies when they got to Toronto. You could argue Raycroft was but a lot of goalies that put up stellar rookie seasons falter, look at Steve Mason. The problem in recent years has been that Leafs management and fans have crowned starters before they've proven themselves. The last goalies that have succeeded in Leaf Land were Ed Belfour and Curtis Joseph, goalies who had already established themselves before getting to Toronto. Leaf fans do expect a lot, but unlike Vancouver they are not expecting a Stanley Cup immediately. Luongo has proven that he is an excellent goalie (in the regular season at least) and I think having him on the team would make Toronto a playoff team. That's all they need to be for a couple years at least.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You aren't honestly be suggesting that selling out every game for a pathetic team shows that Leafs fans DON'T care, are you? It means the exact opposite. Ask Justin Pogge, Mikhail Tellqvist, Andrew Raycroft, and Jonas Gustavsson. When you thrust a goalie into Toronto with the expectation of being the star #1, fans and media will settle for nothing less and will tear him apart at the first sign of faltering. Toronto makes Philadelphia look like goalie heaven.

Are you seriously comparing these guys to Luongo? None of them were established goalies when they got to Toronto. You could argue Raycroft was but a lot of goalies that put up stellar rookie seasons falter, look at Steve Mason. The problem in recent years has been that Leafs management and fans have crowned starters before they've proven themselves. The last goalies that have succeeded in Leaf Land were Ed Belfour and Curtis Joseph, goalies who had already established themselves before getting to Toronto. Leaf fans do expect a lot, but unlike Vancouver they are not expecting a Stanley Cup immediately. Luongo has proven that he is an excellent goalie (in the regular season at least) and I think having him on the team would make Toronto a playoff team. That's all they need to be for a couple years at least.

I wasn't arguing whether or not Luongo would help the Leafs. I was just pointing out the flaw in the claim above. To say that Luongo wouldn't have a huge amount of pressure on his shoulders on Toronto is ridiculous. I was using those 4 examples to show how much pressure Toronto put s on their goalies. I didn't put that Luongo would falter like them - only that if he did, the fans and media would tear him apart. While it's true that Luongo falters in big games, he won't be playing any of those anytime soon in Toronto, so I'd think he'd do fine.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

The alumni rosters for the Winter Classic are looking pretty snazzy already— Kenny Holland said they're going to have 2 alumni games to make sure they honor everyone the can, essentially. Here's the confirmed players so far based on press tweets:

Red Wings

• Chris Osgood
  • Mike Vernon
  • Dino Ciccarelli
  • Alex Delvecchio
  • Ted Lindsay
  • Joe Kocur
  • Kirk Maltby
  • Kris Draper
  • Darren McCarty
  • Mickey Redmond
  • John Ogrodnick
  • Luc Robitaille
  • Larry Murphy
  • Mark Howe

Maple Leafs
  • Darryl Sittler
  • Rick Vaive
  • Wendel Clark
  • Doug Gilmour
  • Dave Andreychuk
  • Darcy Tucker
  • Mike Palmateer
  • Felix Potvin
  • Curtis Joseph
  • Johnny Bower
  • Ron Ellis
  • Jim McKenny

That's a bunch of great players. And many more to come, the way it sounds. Still hoping Stevie changes his mind... CoPa would blow up if he stepped on the ice.

Interesting no Lidstrom yet.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

No Lids, Stevie, or Fedorov yet. I bet Holmstrom and Lidstrom will play if Homer retires (which I would think would be announced soon...).

Regardless, I hope Yzerman and Lidstrom will be there, I would hope they would play, too. It's too bad Shanny is all wrapped up with the NHL, would be cool to see him on the ice, too.

Yzerman will be there. Joe Nieuwendyk was GM for the Stars, but still played in the Flames/Habs alumni game.

Would love to see Nieuwendyk and Roberts play for the Leafs team.

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Yzerman will be there. Joe Nieuwendyk was GM for the Stars, but still played in the Flames/Habs alumni game.

Would love to see Nieuwendyk and Roberts play for the Leafs team.

Might as well throw Lanny Mac in there as well. Sure he is known as a Flame, but did his damage with the Leafs, when he was one of the best in the game. Gilmore is already playing :/

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Seems like a shoo-in, but apparently he's not planning on it:

"It will be a fantastic event with two great organizations at a storied venue," Yzerman said via email to Eric Lacy of the Detroit News. "The perfect location and matchup, this is wonderful for the NHL.

"At this time I don't plan on participating in the alumni game but hope to watch the Classic on TV."

Yzerman, now the general manager of the Tampa Bay Lightning, reportedly did not offer a reason for his decision not to suit up.

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=616127

I sure hope he changes his mind. With 2 planned games, there's supposed to be like 75 alums there. He HAS to show up. He'd be practically the only living legend not there...

"It will be a fantastic event with two great organizations at a storied venue," Yzerman said via email to Eric Lacy of the Detroit News. "The perfect location and matchup, this is wonderful for the NHL.

"At this time I don't plan on participating in the alumni game but hope to watch the Classic on TV."

Yzerman, now the general manager of the Tampa Bay Lightning, reportedly did not offer a reason for his decision not to suit up.

I sure hope he changes his mind. With 2 planned games, there's supposed to be like 75 alums there. He HAS to show up. He'd be practically the only living legend not there...

Guarantee if Gordie Howe was in good health, he'd be there. Still lots of time between now and then, he is one of the greatest players ever to play, and arguably the greatest Wing, I don't know how the fans would take it, but if I was a Wings fan, I wouldn't be happy with him.

Guarantee if Gordie Howe was in good health, he'd be there. Still lots of time between now and then, he is one of the greatest players ever to play, and arguably the greatest Wing, I don't know how the fans would take it, but if I was a Wings fan, I wouldn't be happy with him.

What is Mr. Hockey's health like? If he can stand on skates, my money is he plays one shift.

EDIT: HOLY CRAP HE'S PLAYING!

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2012-07-11/2013-winter-classic-alumni-game-rosters-gordie-howe-red-wings-maple-leafs

I would love to see one shift from the line of Delvecchio, Howe, and Lindsay, played at a speed appropriate for their age. Also, have Mark Howe on defence for that shift. Do that, and guarantee there won't be a dry eye ANYWHERE.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

What is Mr. Hockey's health like? If he can stand on skates, my money is he plays one shift.

EDIT: HOLY CRAP HE'S PLAYING!

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2012-07-11/2013-winter-classic-alumni-game-rosters-gordie-howe-red-wings-maple-leafs

I would love to see one shift from the line of Delvecchio, Howe, and Lindsay, played at a speed appropriate for their age. Also, have Mark Howe on defence for that shift. Do that, and guarantee there won't be a dry eye ANYWHERE.

I just figured like most 84 year olds, they have something wrong with them. But, he seems to be doing well that's awesome!!! So glad this is happening.

If Stevie Y doesn't have a good excuse, I'll be pretty bummed. And I'm sure most of Hockeytown will be, too. It's the perfect opportunity to come back and show some gratitude to the fans.

That's awesome that Gordie's playing, too. Good for him. Not sure how much ice time (if any) they'll get, but hey. Considering how late in life he was playing competitively, really doesn't surprise me that he is joining the team. Should be fun to see this one.

I just heard on TSN that Howe, Delvecchio and Lindsay are going to be the coaches for the Wings, well Johnny Bower and 2 guys I missed out on hearing are coaching the Leafs.

Yzerman can't suit up for the Detroit old-timers because it (snort) might give (chuckle) people the impression that (chortle) he still has a (pfft) connection to the (heh) Red Wings organization and we don't want (snicker) to invite the possibility (heehee) of a conflict of interesBAHAHAHA

That's a bunch of great players.

And Kirk Maltby

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Slow on the jump there, Dasher :P

Let's hope he isn't the best scorer on the team again this season.

Truly. While it was nice to see Teemu on top, Getzlaf, Perry and Ryan (?) need to get their asses in gear from the get go if the Ducks hope to be anywhere at the end of the season.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived