Your 2012 National Hockey Lockout Thread

Lee.

"Luongo played well with Toews, Keith, and Seabrook" is a cherry so well-picked that I hope someone makes me a delicious ice cream sundae with it. Luongo had an all-star team and also Shane Doan. That he didn't crap the bed for once in his post-2006 life was half miracle, half playing with not just Toews/Keith/Seabrook, but also Sidney Crosby, Scott Niedermayer, Chris Pronger, Martin Brodeur, and other luminaries who through accident of birth grew up on one side of a river or imaginary line.

You know, it's a unique tragedy of hockey that players can work in virtual anonymity, and no one seems to mind all that much when they do. In other sports we want our best players to be immortals who follow in the footsteps of fellow immortals. There's still a far too large contingent of the hockey media that lionizes Shane Doan for his cowardly career because he's "loyal" and "tenured" and "didn't uproot his dear family." No one's ever won the Conn Smythe for keeping their kids in a good school district, so why should I care? All it says to me is that he's complacent with living somewhere warm where no one knows who he is and no one demands anything ridiculous of him. That would be fine for you and I if we worked in middle management for TeleSystems Solutions or Applications Unlimited or some other gobbledygook office park fodder, but we're supposed to expect a little more in something as results-oriented as sports, aren't we? And if hockey will allow these sorts of pressure-free environments, then we have to stfu about the people in them. I feel like bringing this up now because today was supposed to be the big day where Doan talked to Jamison about whether he would still be able to veg out in Jobberland or have to find work elsewhere. I'm guessing the conversation went like this?

- Are you going to buy the team so I can stay here and not have to move?

- Of course.

- Okay yay!

and then everyone will go "oh what a true leader he is." I will go "glad my team didn't sign some lazy schmuck who doesn't mind being on losing teams because Toronto is scary and Montreal has French-Canadians whom I am bigoted against."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mason Raymond re-ups in Vancouver. 1 year, $2.275 mil

Canucks cap space is down to $3 million

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I realized that there will be a few teams with new captains this year. Detroit and New Jersey for sure, almost certainly Columbus, maybe (hopefully not) Ottawa, maybe Phoenix. Am I missing any? I have a feeling that Giroux will wear the C in Philly, especially with the way Laviolette talked about him in the playoffs. Not sure if Datsyuk or Zetterberg will take over for Lidstrom.

Mason Raymond re-ups in Vancouver. 1 year, $2.275 mil

Canucks cap space is down to $3 million

This is entirely too much money for someone who should be a career AHLer.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Hockey Buzz:

Last night, a friend tipped me on a rumored proposal that would have the Hawks sending Kane and Niklas Hjalmarsson to the Habs for Tomas Plekanec and PK Subban. And the Hawks are allegedly holding out for the Canadiens to add a high draft pick or two.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/John-Jaeckel/Rumor-And-Non-Rumor/128/45505

Sources sound flimsy as hell, but if a trade involves Kane I can't give it too much credibility at this point.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I read the rumor, and then I just stared at your avatar for about 20 seconds, because that made a whole lot more sense.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I know he'd get a frosty reception at first from the fans in Chicago but I would not mind Luongo playing for the Blackhawks.

Yeah you would. The minute he choked away a playoff series, you would not only mind, but you would hate him. Trust me, there's a reason Luongo wants to go to Florida, he hates pressure and wants to play in a situation where there will be no expectations on him and the team and he can just collect his money.

Luongo still brought his team to the SCF two years ago, he's not some massive choker. If the Canucks would've won one more game, nobody would be calling him a choker.... He's better than Crawford, and that's all that really matters.

I was thinking about this the other day when Luongo gave his interview on the radio... right after the Canucks were eliminated, the story was "1 seed taken out by lowly 8 seed that was a mess all regular season and barely made the playoffs", and it was decided to be Luongo's fault for letting this 8 seed get past the mighty Canucks. That was it; before the series was even over, it was decided that Luongo was going to be run out of town. Then that little 8 seed that beat them ended up having one of the most dominating playoff runs ever. Obviously it wasn't just that the Canucks were bad against the Kings; the Kings tore through anyone unfortunate enough to be in their path. Now we're still running Luongo out of town based on that "1 beaten by an 8" mentality, even though the team that beat them ended up being dominating Stanley Cup champs.

Hockey Buzz:

Last night, a friend tipped me on a rumored proposal that would have the Hawks sending Kane and Niklas Hjalmarsson to the Habs for Tomas Plekanec and PK Subban. And the Hawks are allegedly holding out for the Canadiens to add a high draft pick or two.

http://www.hockeybuz...Rumor/128/45505

Sources sound flimsy as hell, but if a trade involves Kane I can't give it too much credibility at this point.

There's no way the Habs are trading PK Subban.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

There's just something about being the best team in the regular season and going 5-7 in the first round of the playoffs over two years.

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

Luongo's going to wilt in Chicago, Toronto, or anywhere else where fans and the media actually expect something out of the local NHL team.

The fans in Vancouver are incredibly critical of goal tenders, if you don't think Luongo has been under extremely intense pressure in Vancouver, you're simply totally ignorant of this market.

Fan's in Toronto expect something out of their NHL team? I don't really see the pressure they're putting on their team when they merrily sell out every game for the only franchise not to make the playoffs since the lock out.

It's amusing reading this thread and seeing the people who've bought into the internet and media characterization of Luongo, and how out of touch with reality that is.

There's just something about being the best team in the regular season and going 5-7 in the first round of the playoffs over two years.

More like there's something to the fact that the Presidents' Trophy winners have lost in the first round four out of seven years.

In fact, since the lockout, there have been just as many #8 seeds that have made it to the Final as there have been #1 seeds. '06 Oilers and '12 Kings for the #8's, and the '08 Red Wings and '11 Canucks for the #1's. The Presidents' Trophy winner has only won the Cup once since the 2002 Detroit Red Wings, and that was the '08 Detroit team.

I'm not sure if this is a good thing for the NHL or not. That's a lot of elite teams spitting the bit when the second season begins.

spacer.png

More like there's something to the fact that the Presidents' Cup winners have lost in the first round four out of seven years.

In fact, since the lockout, there have been just as many #8 seeds that have made it to the Final as there have been #1 seeds. '06 Oilers and '12 Kings for the #8's, and the '08 Red Wings and '11 Canucks for the #1's. The Presidents' Cup winner has only won the Cup once since the 2002 Detroit Red Wings, and that was the '08 Detroit team.

I'm not sure if this is a good thing for the NHL or not. That's a lot of elite teams spitting the bit when the second season begins.

President's TROPHY

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Fan's in Toronto expect something out of their NHL team? I don't really see the pressure they're putting on their team when they merrily sell out every game for the only franchise not to make the playoffs since the lock out.

You aren't honestly be suggesting that selling out every game for a pathetic team shows that Leafs fans DON'T care, are you? It means the exact opposite. Ask Justin Pogge, Mikhail Tellqvist, Andrew Raycroft, and Jonas Gustavsson. When you thrust a goalie into Toronto with the expectation of being the star #1, fans and media will settle for nothing less and will tear him apart at the first sign of faltering. Toronto makes Philadelphia look like goalie heaven.

I think JVR could work at centre for us. He has experience playing there, and would be a sure upgrade over Bozak. If that is the case, there will be a bit of a logjam for bottom-six centres, which will hopefully result in a Limbardi demotion.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

It's amusing reading this thread and seeing the people who've bought into the internet and media characterization of Luongo, and how out of touch with reality that is.

Luongo's last five playoff games on the road:

8 goals allowed

4 goals allowed (and yanked)

3 goals allowed in under 10 minutes (and yanked)

Did Not Start

Did Not Start

Luongo's not a big game performer.

Archived