Big Ten mascot logos

deliver2david

Do anyone remember some talk about IU getting a squirrel mascot (around '04 when I was there)?

I don't remember the squirrel concept. I was at IU around 2000 and there was some talk of a buffalo as a mascot. There's a buffalo on the state seal so it made some sense.

Neither the Buffalo nor the bulldog were ever official logos or mascots. Sometimes an individual team would adopt something like those, but it was never the university. The only official mascfot IU has had was its very short lived "Hoosier Pride" mascot in 1979 (Lee Corso era).

It was basically the image of a rube in overalls and a cowboy hat, one step away from being barefoot with wheat sticking out of his mouth. Needless to say it did not paint the U or the state in a good light.

I still think they should go with Indiana Jones as their mascot, or a dog named Indiana Jones, since that is where the name came from. But they should pick a dog breed that is a little less used, no bulldogs or huskies. Maybe a beagle or an American fox hound. Something with some red in its coat.

Indiana has also had a buffalo:

HoosierMascot_0.png

People with losing records all time against the Hoosiers don't get to make fun of them.

EDIT-That said, I'm convinced that some Big Ten school desperately needs to adopt a pig or a cow or some other patently ridiculous farm animal as a live animal mascot because it's so fitting for the league in general.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived