NBA Prototype Jerseys

Lights Out

That Cavs jersey is worse than what they actually went with. Having no black to counter the periwinkle and the sherbet orange, except for a thin line on the neck and armhole trim, really hurts it.

The Nuggets jersey looks like it was designed by someone who'd never seen a basketball uniform outside of Europe ("And this space is where your sponsors will go..."), and the Bullets one just looks like Generic NBA Basketball Team. None of the final designs used by any of these teams could be considered the height of design, even for their time, but these prototypes show things could have been much worse.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

It says they may have used that Nuggets jersey during Pre-Season. I highly doubt that otherwise we would've found out eventually, but then again we've had situations where we have a hard time finding out about other stuff so who knows.

I really don't think so. I'm pretty sure that this is from a preseason game again the Sixers, when both teams wore throwbacks, though. The Nuggets' I believe, had a vertically-arched, varsity block "DENVER" on the front. I can't see them having worn this and some soon-to-be-discarded prototype for the preseason.

!BhvITqQ!Wk~$(KGrHqIOKj4Es!(VdLhmBLKlkG10,!~~_35.JPG

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

It says they may have used that Nuggets jersey during Pre-Season. I highly doubt that otherwise we would've found out eventually, but then again we've had situations where we have a hard time finding out about other stuff so who knows.

I really don't think so. I'm pretty sure that this is from a preseason game again the Sixers, when both teams wore throwbacks, though. The Nuggets' I believe, had a vertically-arched, varsity block "DENVER" on the front. I can't see them having worn this and some soon-to-be-discarded prototype for the preseason.

!BhvITqQ!Wk~$(KGrHqIOKj4Es!(VdLhmBLKlkG10,!~~_35.JPG

So they wore the ABA throwbacks in 1993? Interesting.

I know those Sixers jerseys were worn during the 96/97 season, which was the 50th Anniversary of the NBA. Several teams wore Throwbacks, I can only remember the Knicks, Celtics and Lakers. The latter had the Celtics wear the Bill Russel whites against the Lakers on the road who wore the Elgin Baylor blue. Lakers wearing the 1962 away uniform at The Forum must've been weird to see.

bSLCtu2.png

Those Ebay jerseys are FAKE. The seller is notorious for buying old jerseys, particularly game-worn jerseys of no-name players, and relettering/numbering them and passing them off as genuine game-worn jerseys. He does have some legit stuff, but there's an equal amount on dodgy stuff. He's well known in the game-worn/used community as someone to avoid. The Bullets "proto" in particular has been floating around the web for at least 5-6 years.

The first NBA throwback games were in the 1992-93 season. The above game featured the Sixers & Nuggets wearing 1967-68 throwbacks. I'm not sure if the Nuggets wore those throwbacks again that season, but the Sixers also used them vs. the Warriors later in that season (with the Warriors wearing the classic "The City" unis). There were a few "Turn Back The Clock" games played before the 1996-97 season, usually to commemorate a specific milestone or anniversary.

Yeah, when Shawn Bradley was drafted in '92 or '93, they showed him with the blue PHILA jersey so much that I thought they were actually chainging to it full time.

If only.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Cavs jersey is bad, the Nuggets jersey is horrible, and the Bullets jersey is boring compared to what the Bullets actually wore. Good thing these stayed as prototypes. Nice find!

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

Archived