Italian Heritage Day jerseys

Viper

I noticed that the Brewers and Diamondbacks are both wearing special jerseys today, with both teams decked out in green and red and with the team names in what turned out to be Italian.

A quick Google search revealed the occasion (and graphics of both jerseys):

The Milwaukee Brewers will host ?Italian Heritage Day? at Miller Park on Sunday, July 1 at 1:10 p.m. when they take on the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Team Will Wear Special ?Birrai? Jerseys for Game vs. Diamondbacks and

All Fans Will Receive a Klement?s Famous Racing SausageTM Italian Bobble

The Brewers and the Diamondbacks will each wear uniforms with the red, white and green colors from the Italian flag. The Brewers jerseys will read ?Birrai,? which is ?Brewers? in Italian, while the Diamondbacks will wear jerseys that say ?iD-backs.? The Brewers jersey will be green with red accents and white lettering. ?Birrai? jersey t-shirts and jerseys will be available at the Brewers Team Store by Majestic at Miller Park beginning late next week.

I guess now we also know which sausage is going to win today's race...

CCSLC signature.png

Even though that's one fugly jersey and I wish they'd stick to the team colors when they did it, I think it's kind of cool that the Brewers are doing these "ethnic" jerseys seeing as how the summer ethnic festivals are kind of a big deal around here.

After watching this game and seeing those jerseys, I feel like apologizing to my wife for cheating on her -- and I'm not even married.

But a green and red uniform was kinda refreshing. Sick and tired of every team (except A's) with black, red or blue.

Go A's!

After watching this game and seeing those jerseys, I feel like apologizing to my wife for cheating on her -- and I'm not even married.

But a green and red uniform was kinda refreshing. Sick and tired of every team (except A's) with black, red or blue.

Pretty much how I feel about it. I was hoping for matching hats & pants, but perhaps I was being naive.

534534_10150933451000003_1011221824_n.jpg

:puke:

Kelly green is still a criminally under used color though.

I am so sick of the pandering...

...oh, I guess we only say that for the Spanish jerseys.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I guess I shouldn't have held out hope that this thread would stay free of any "pandering" comments...

...anyway, on topic of the actual unis...those read more Mexico than Italy. Still, good on the Brewers for actually taking the time to get the chest scripts right without throwing some arbitrary article in front of it. Between this and the "Cerverceros" jerseys, the Brewers are at least making the concentrated effort to get it right.

All that said...maybe they should've just added the "Birrai" to their normal shirts. But then again, red and green as a combo is so criminally underutilized it ain't even funny?and the only other pro sports team that does just happens to play on the other side of I-94/43.

(So does this mean the Bucks do Italian/Mexican Heritage Night every night? :P)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I guess I shouldn't have held out hope that this thread would stay free of any "pandering" comments...

...anyway, on topic of the actual unis...those read more Mexico than Italy. Still, good on the Brewers for actually taking the time to get the chest scripts right without throwing some arbitrary article in front of it. Between this and the "Cerverceros" jerseys, the Brewers are at least making the concentrated effort to get it right.

All that said...maybe they should've just added the "Birrai" to their normal shirts. But then again, red and green as a combo is so criminally underutilized it ain't even funny?and the only other pro sports team that does just happens to play on the other side of I-94/43.

Don't forget the Wild.

Anubis.png

Does Milwaukee have a large Italian-American population? Outside of the Fonz, I've never really considered Wisconsin a hotbed for Italian settlement.

I'd say the Fonz is more than enough reason to justify this!

It would have looked a lot better if they hadn't used the BP template. It goes to the theory that Majestic is test-driving the colored panels/inserts idea for real game jerseys. They tried it on the WBC jerseys in 2009, and now they tried it with the BP templates in a real game. Everyone hated it then, and I don't see anyone thinking it looked good this time either.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Don't forget the Wild.

Too late?I already forgot them. :P

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

Don't forget the Wild.

Too late?I already forgot them. :P

I get why they used green/red but being a huge Italy fan in general, seems so odd to not be royal blue since all the Italian teams wear that color.

UaFEwbCX.jpg

Good point. And it's actually one I thought about mentioning at first...don't know why I didn't.

(Off-topic: either the Brewers or the Royals REALLY need to pair up that particular shade of blue in the above image with their metallic gold?hell, let's add the St. Louis Rams to this too?such a striking combination, such a shame that not one single major pro sports team uses it, nor can I recall it ever having been used.)

Does Milwaukee have a large Italian-American population? Outside of the Fonz, I've never really considered Wisconsin a hotbed for Italian settlement.

Milwaukee's Lower East Side (Brady Street) and Third Ward were traditionally Italian communities. Now they're more of a college town and an arts district respectively, but both of them still have their share of Italian-owned businesses (bakeries, mom & pop restaurants, etc.).

Yuck. Just... yuck.

I think that a standard Brewers jersey with "Birrai" would have been fine. But the Brewers jerseys... ugly as they are, have nothing on the "iDBacks." A Black jersey with red/green side panels in an asymmetrical arrangement is just plain terrible.

Milwaukee's Lower East Side (Brady Street) and Third Ward were traditionally Italian communities. Now they're more of a college town and an arts district respectively, but both of them still have their share of Italian-owned businesses (bakeries, mom & pop restaurants, etc.).

Isn't the south side pretty heavily Italian too? At least, I seem to pass by a ton of family-owned Italian restaurants along the main drags through the southern half of town.

As for the unis, what they really should have gone with is an Italian version of the ball-in-glove throwbacks, which are just about the right shade of blue anyway.

CCSLC signature.png

Archived