What new rivalries do you see emerging due to conference expansion?

BRM_PTX

I'll bet anyone here $100 bucks that Boise State will never be in the Pac-12 for all-sports including football. If I'm wrong I will gladly pay the first person to call me out.

I'm calling you out. It's not that I believe Boise will ever join the Pac-12, but I just want to be the guy to get that $100 bucks if it were to happen. :)

The ACC should have dropped the whole academics charade and let WV join the conference along with another northern based Big East school (likely UConn). Letting one "dumb school" in the fold would not have hurt the academic standing of the other ACC schools....

ONE "dumb school"? They already have Florida State :P . Seriously, I knew I guy who went there (quite a few years ago, though) and he majored in criminal justice, just so he would never have to write an essay. That's right, 4 years of multiple choice, math equation, and fill-in-the-blank exams.

It is what it is.

I'll bet anyone here $100 bucks that Boise State will never be in the Pac-12 for all-sports including football. If I'm wrong I will gladly pay the first person to call me out.

I'm calling you out. It's not that I believe Boise will ever join the Pac-12, but I just want to be the guy to get that $100 bucks if it were to happen. :)

The $100 bucks is yours if Boise State is ever admitted to the Pac-12 in all-sports including football.

West Virginia - Oklahoma: Very well could be the top 2 teams in the Big 12 this season (knock on wood) so it could be a highly competitive series right off the bat. And OU may still have sour feelings towards WVU for the 2008 Fiesta Bowl.

Pitt - Maryland: Works because of their relatively close locations... will probably have a couple of Penguins-Caps jabs in any parking lot trash talking.

90758391980.gif

West Virginia - Oklahoma: Very well could be the top 2 teams in the Big 12 this season (knock on wood) so it could be a highly competitive series right off the bat. And OU may still have sour feelings towards WVU for the 2008 Fiesta Bowl.

Pitt - Maryland: Works because of their relatively close locations... will probably have a couple of Penguins-Caps jabs in any parking lot trash talking.

I said West Virginia-Oklahoma State because of Dana Holgorsen's former job at Okie State and both have high octane offenses. It's still a good choice though with Oklahoma.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

I said West Virginia-Oklahoma State because of Dana Holgorsen's former job at Okie State and both have high octane offenses. It's still a good choice though with Oklahoma.

Yeah that's true. And he was the OC at Texas Tech before Okie State. If WVU-OSU has a few years of some back and forth high scoring games I could see that becoming a bit of a rivalry. Basically at the end of the day I'm sure what happens in games will determine future rivalries.

90758391980.gif

Arkansas-Mizzou

LSU and A&M are wanting to match up for Thanksgiving and Arkansas and Mizzou will be cross-division rivals. Plus, border states. When/if the SEC adds two Eastern teams to push Mizzou to the West I assume they'll matchup as the last game each year.

Penn State vs. [insert FCS bottomfeeder here]

Boise State vs. Oregon, for real

Boise State in the Pac-1? will never, ever happen. Except where they're an associate member in an Olympic sport. But the real deal? No. way. Ever.

Disagree. When push comes to shove and the superconferences start forming, the PAC will drop the academics charade and go for the ratings money like everyone else.

What kind of ratings money will Boise bring in?

Competitive, tough opponents are fundamental for a true "rivalry." Look at Nebraska-Oklahoma, for example. We played for nearly a century and have pretty much equaled each other in terms of achievements. Multiple Heisman winners, multiple National Titles and after 100 years, the series was left virtually 50/50 with the Sooners having a very slight (single digit) lead. For the same reasons, Nebraska never saw Colorado as a "true" rival, even though the Buffs hated us and marked their calendars with a red circle on Thanksgiving Friday. Colorado's had their big wins over us, but by and large the Husker-Buff games tended to be blowouts in favor of Big Red.

In the Big Ten, Nebraska-Penn State is a guaranteed crossover game, but with the sanctions and mess over there I doubt that they'll be very competitive for quite a while. Iowa is consistently a decent team, but I really see a bigger rivalry growing with Michigan.

The Wolverines obviously hate Sparty and the Bucks more than they hate Nebraska, but with divisional play it's probably going to come down to Nebraska-Michigan for the Legends Title more often than not.

Plus, we can always argue about 1997.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

If Louisville moves to the Big XII, it might be hard to find a competitive football rival other than West Virginia. The only possible football rivalries are Kansas, KSU, and maybe TCU. Basketball on the other hand, there are many potential rivalries brewing. Obviously Kansas, KSU, and WVU are definite rivals with Baylor as a fringe game.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

I find it very amusing that the ACC continues to put up a front about "academics". Academics didn't have anything to do with Florida State joining the conference. Any FSU fan who makes fun of WV's academics deserves to be laughed at mercilessly, as Florida State has the academic reputation equivalent to a four-year community college.

Boise State to the PAC is also laughable for much the same reason. Boise State is good at one sport and has no academic prestige to speak of. There are only two conferences in the country that actually care about academics anymore, and those are the B1G and the PAC.

Penn State vs. [insert FCS bottomfeeder here]

Boise State vs. Oregon, for real

Boise State in the Pac-1? will never, ever happen. Except where they're an associate member in an Olympic sport. But the real deal? No. way. Ever.

Disagree. When push comes to shove and the superconferences start forming, the PAC will drop the academics charade and go for the ratings money like everyone else.

You have no idea how badly I want Oregon to play Boise every year, like USC - Notre dame.

If Oklahoma ever goes to the Pac-12, OU-UO would be one hell of a rivalry, especially with their history.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Archived