2012 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

As a Vikings fan, I would be for a 14-16 team playoff system if it were to be implemented this year. :P But now I just cannot see them squeaking into the playoffs with both games remaining against playoff teams. Those losses against Seattle and Washington are proving to be killers, as it has come down to tiebreakers in the NFC playoff race. Now it will take a small miracle to make the postseason.

But for now, I am hoping AP can break Eric Dickerson's all-time rushing mark of 2,105 yards. To see him come back from such a devastating injury and put up numbers like this is astonishing and certainly makes him worthy of the NFL MVP. He is the only reason Minnesota is still in the playoff hunt, after all.

Just to be that guy - the Washington and Seattle losses don't hurt Minnesota at this point.

'Skins lead the East, and Seattle is #5, not #6.

spacer.png

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the Falcons just blew out a team everybody said should blow them out. I don't know how to feel or celebrate. This doesn't happen.

It's a statement win. The Falcons looked like a legit Super Bowl threat today. Falcons fans have every reason to celebrate and feel good. I think this is the kind of win that separates them from the previous two incarnations of the Falcons.

But remain always wary of the playoff failures that have plagued them. If the Falcons play in January like they played today, they have an excellent chance of playing in New Orleans.

Just like they did when they went 13-3 and got blown up by the Packers in the playoffs. Until they do anything more than wet the bed in the post-season, they'll have the monkey on their backs.

Also keep in mind that they played the New York Chameleons Giants today.

The same Giants team that just scored 52 points on the Saints a week ago. The same Giants team that last postseason held the Falcons to 2 points.

Yep, same Falcons team as the last three playoff teams.

I'm sick of watching this Bears team.I want to see some big changes, but I'd be surprised if Lovie wasn't on the sidelines next year. I hope they drop the next two games so that we might actually get to see some changes. Unfortunately the Cardinals offense will probably make the Bears offense look like they're half-competent. I'd rather have five blocking dummies as the offensive line at this point. At least they wouldn't double team someone to leave someone else unblocked. I think Devin Hester has just about run his course here too. He's worthless on offense and his decision making with the ball is downright awful. Chris Conte is just a bum who shouldn't be on the field. And Alshon Jeffrey. He's a great talent but you just have to learn at some point. I have actually grown to like Brandon Marshall a lot. He's probably my favorite player on the team right now.

It seemed like they Packers were doing all they could to give this game away and they still couldn't lose. Who had the idea of running that punt return play? That might have been the worst trick play you could call. You're winning, fairly deep in your own territory, and it's a punt you have a lot less time than a kick return. And am I the only one that didn't think the reffing was awful? Probably bad calls, but I could easily see how they made both the last offensive PI and the no call on the play after it. Maybe I just stopped caring at that point, but I wasn't mad about those calls.

Urlacher's a great football player (or was at least), but I wouldn't put any stock into anything that came out of that guy's mouth. He's just a meathead whose entire life is football. His IQ is probably close to Devin Hester's. Next year I'm hoping for a new coaching staff, some people that act like Brandon Marshall (never thought I'd say that), and at least a couple offensive linemen that look like they know how to put their jock strap on. Oh, I almost forgot about the waste of space on the end of the line they have as an excuse for a tight end.

But they'll beat the Cardinals and finish with a winning season and Lovie will be right back to do the same thing next year. He's really perfected this routine. They just need a truly awful season so things actually change.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

The irony of all this parity talk of the past decade is how only 3 teams have won the AFC since 2003.

9 teams have won the NFC in that same 10-year span... just saying.

7 teams in 17 years for the AFC, 12 are those three

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Lots of interesting stuff happening in Bears-land after this latest lost. Lovie Smith throws Cutler under the bus, blaming the pre-halftime interception as the moment that changed the game. Conte blames the refs, then joins Urlacher in blaming the fans for booing and not being "real fans." Marshall is the only voice of reason, saying that everyone should be held accountable, even if it means firing people.

What a cluster :censored: .

Well, he is right on that. As soon as I saw Culter throwing one of his patented temper tantrums on the sideline, I knew it was the Packers' game to lose.

That said, Lovie should've clamped down on those tendencies of Cutler the moment he arrived, or at least gotten an offensive coordinator who could (read: NOT A guy who lost his last job because of his inability to handle a petulant diva of a QB). It seems to me that every team in the NFC North has enough raw talent to take anyone in the NFL, but the Packers are the only one with have halfway competent coaching.

And am I the only one that didn't think the reffing was awful? Probably bad calls, but I could easily see how they made both the last offensive PI and the no call on the play after it. Maybe I just stopped caring at that point, but I wasn't mad about those calls.

There were plenty of terrible calls and non-calls to go around (the non-called facemask on Sam Shields immediately comes to mind). Though I will admit couple of those push-offs were ticky tacky, but that's usually what happens to receivers after they give the refs a reason to call legit ones like he did earlier in the game.

As a Vikings fan, I would be for a 14-16 team playoff system if it were to be implemented this year. :P But now I just cannot see them squeaking into the playoffs with both games remaining against playoff teams. Those losses against Seattle and Washington are proving to be killers, as it has come down to tiebreakers in the NFC playoff race. Now it will take a small miracle to make the postseason.

But for now, I am hoping AP can break Eric Dickerson's all-time rushing mark of 2,105 yards. To see him come back from such a devastating injury and put up numbers like this is astonishing and certainly makes him worthy of the NFL MVP. He is the only reason Minnesota is still in the playoff hunt, after all.

Have faith my friend. As sick as this sounds, I actually like the Vikings and have reasons and consider them my second team. But the way this season has gone, anything can happen. Houston will be tough, but Green Bay at home, the Pack will probably have nothing to play for. Plus the only team you're losing the tiebreak to right now would be the Giants and they have the Ravens next week.

Next to the Colts, the best comeback story of the year.

I do still have a sliver of hope remaining for my team, but I'm not going to hold my breath. Adrian Peterson is the only reason the Vikings have any kind of chance remaining. Without him, they would be a 5 or 6 win team at best. Ponder has proven himself incapable of doing well with a lackluster receiving corps, while the defense is not solid enough to overcome a one-dimensional offense. Overall, Minnesota is a pretty mediocre team right now. Not bad enough to receive a high draft pick, but still not talented enough to be a threat in the playoffs.

It has been a fun season, though, you are right on that point. If you had told me before the season began that Minnesota will be in the thick of the playoff race with two games to go, I would have called you a Vikings fan.

Just to be that guy - the Washington and Seattle losses don't hurt Minnesota at this point.

'Skins lead the East, and Seattle is #5, not #6.

I realize this, but I also realize that those two losses could hurt the Vikings come the end of the year. Of course, you could say the same about all six of the Vikings losses this year.

Sam Shields held on that 4th down pass. Pass interference. Not saying the Packers didn't deserve to win this game, but its so cheap when they win like that. Bull :censored:

But the 3 PI penalties 17 was called for, were offensive penalties. How can you deny that?

The first 2 were. the third was not a push off. he was trying to get his arms free, didn't push off. I see why the refs called it because of what they saw. But the fact is it was not a penalty.

Even so your argument doesn't hold. "Jeffery cheated but got caught, so its okay for shields to hold"

When did I say it's okay for Shields to get away with PI?

All three were penalties. Jeffery pushed off on all of them.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Ponder has the ability to be good. 1.) Needs receiving help, you saw soon as Percy went down, he went down. 2.) Playoffs or not. Bill Musgrave has to go, they need a bring mind to shake up that offense. The lack of getting Jarius Wright and Stephan Burton involved is a piss off, also not using Kyle Rudolph nearly enough.

When you don't have a 6'5'' speedster to stretch the defense, you need to get lateral. Play calling as been really poor, and that's why I'm usually a defendant of Ponder.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Ponder has the ability to be good. 1.) Needs receiving help, you saw soon as Percy went down, he went down. 2.) Playoffs or not. Bill Musgrave has to go, they need a bring mind to shake up that offense. The lack of getting Jarius Wright and Stephan Burton involved is a piss off, also not using Kyle Rudolph nearly enough.

When you don't have a 6'5'' speedster to stretch the defense, you need to get lateral. Play calling as been really poor, and that's why I'm usually a defendant of Ponder.

I completely agree with your assessment of the play calling. Even before his injury, the only two players making a significant impact on that offense were Harvin and Peterson. Rudolph had his moments, but the ball was only fed to those two guys for the majority of the season. Draft a good receiver or two in April, change up the play calling, and we'll see how good the Vikings offense can be come 2013.

And am I the only one that didn't think the reffing was awful? Probably bad calls, but I could easily see how they made both the last offensive PI and the no call on the play after it. Maybe I just stopped caring at that point, but I wasn't mad about those calls.

There were plenty of terrible calls and non-calls to go around (the non-called facemask on Sam Shields immediately comes to mind). Though I will admit couple of those push-offs were ticky tacky, but that's usually what happens to receivers after they give the refs a reason to call legit ones like he did earlier in the game.

This has nothing to do with the game, but there is no such thing as a non call. The call he made was no call. Therefore the facemask wasn't a "non-call", the call was that it wasn't called.

I completely agree with your assessment of the play calling. Even before his injury, the only two players making a significant impact on that offense were Harvin and Peterson. Rudolph had his moments, but the ball was only fed to those two guys for the majority of the season. Draft a good receiver or two in April, change up the play calling, and we'll see how good the Vikings offense can be come 2013.

I'm interested in what Greg Childs can bring to the table. Tall, lanky. It's just unfortunate that he got hurt in the preseason. The draft is pretty slim pickings right now, especially at the skill positions. Keenan Allen is probably the number 1 WR available.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

If there was any question before today, Peyton Manning and the Broncos are FOR REAL.

And so are those Seattle Superseahawks. Doing a 1-2 in Canada against those Bills.

I know the Steelers have fans across the nation, but this sounds like a friggin' home game for them -- in Dallas of all places!

Seems that way with any road team since Jerry's World opened up. Guarantee the Steeler nation doesn't show up at old Texas Stadium.

They were definitely borderline, but it wasn't a glaringly obvious mistake in my opinion. And if you've already been called for the same thing twice, you have to go out of your way to make sure the referee can't call you for it again. If you're an offensive linemen and blatantly hold a guy twice in a short period of time, you better believe that the referee will be paying close attention to you after that. Same thing goes for a receiver who pushes off a couple times like Jeffery did.

It just seems like the Bears have a lot of players that aren't "football smart."

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I know the Steelers have fans across the nation, but this sounds like a friggin' home game for them -- in Dallas of all places!

Seems that way with any road team since Jerry's World opened up. Guarantee the Steeler nation doesn't show up at old Texas Stadium.

Ever since the new stadium opened, it feels as if Jerry is more concerned about selling tickets and hosting major events (boosting his own stock), than winning actual football games.

6uXNWAo.png

Archived