brandIDENTITY: Bucsketball Season **10/25 Update: "Believe In Magic"**

tBBP

Aiight, jackals...I'm back.

I've been holding on to a lot of stuff I've put together for quite a while now...and have been tweaking, re-tweaking, re-developing and e-tweaking again when I've had time to do so. Lately, I've had a bit more time to do more with this stuff, and so now I've got several of these things ready to go now. What follows is a series of concepts for an arena I've only gone into one other time before: the NBA, and basketball period. (By the way, who prettied up the website? NICE JOB, fellas!) I think I've got some rather interesting ideas to get out of my head...along with some stuff folks have probably never seen before, and that's in keeping with the whole "push the envelope" mantra I've been on for quite a while, now.

A few notes: I have no idea as to a timeline for this series, as I'll get to them when I have the time to (and if you know me, you know why)--I really don't even know if I'll get to every team during this series. That said, I set only one hard rule for myself here: all uniform concepts will be done on my adidas Rev30 concept template, since I spent so much time creating it back when adidas first unveiled the Rev30--wishbone collar, power-web mesh pattern and all. (I know some don't care for it, but it's my series, and I don't feel like changing it, so there. ;) )

That said, let's get on with this here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part 1: No Frills, No Bull

I'll start this thing off real simple. I really don't see anything wrong with the current Chicago Bulls identity, save for few ancillary little details, so the point of this concept was to only slightly freshen things up some (you may not even pick up on some of it). The only thing I'll really say is this: red with black trim carries the concept--I really wanted to focus on that aspect (if you look at the current roadies, there's a bit more white in there than I'd like, ideally). Not much difference with home and road here from the existing sets...that said, the black alt brings back the cursive "Chicago" script from the late '70s/early '80s (?), for more of a truly "alternate" look. Oh--and there's not much difference with the court, either.

So those were the words; these are the visuals. Have at them.

CHIbulls_stylebook2-1_zps5a1319c3.png

CHIbulls_stylebook2-2_zps85784acf.png

CHIbulls_stylebook3.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me know what's up... ~Buc

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bring back the pinstripes on the black uniform.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I'm glad you evened out the "frown lines" in the bull's face. It makes a pretty big impact, less 1970s, which is good.

Simplifying the uniforms almost worked. I'm not too keen on the black diamonds on the road shorts. I would try white diamond with black trim there. The removal of the striped waistband isn't really my cup of tea either.

The court is awesome, though. Love the removal of the midcourt basketball. The endcourt font is much better now. My only critique is that five logos seems a bit much; maybe try three instead.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

I'm glad you evened out the "frown lines" in the bull's face. It makes a pretty big impact, less 1970s, which is good.

Simplifying the uniforms almost worked. I'm not too keen on the black diamonds on the road shorts. I would try white diamond with black trim there. The removal of the striped waistband isn't really my cup of tea either.

The court is awesome, though. Love the removal of the midcourt basketball. The endcourt font is much better now. My only critique is that five logos seems a bit much; maybe try three instead.

Okay...maybe somebody noticed the little tweaks in the Bulls logo after all. ;)

As for the waistband...do not ask me how I managed to forget about that, but you make a good point. Imma have to go back and look at that. Keep an eye out. And yeah, the five logos on the court was a bit much for me, too--that's the way their court is currently, so i just used that as a reference point. I'll also look at revisiting that, too.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

Minus the five Bulls head logos, that court is gorgeous. I like the update of the baseline font, and I love the sides of the paint being black instead of red. I don't know what other logo to use inside the 3 point lines, and I never noticed that the real court has five of the same logo.

I like the script 'Chicago' returning, and the alternate is the perfect place for it. I originally liked the black diamond/white outline on the red uniform, but after vicfirth made his suggestion, it bugs me now. I do think a white diamond with black outline would look better.

This is a pretty good modernization of a classic look. The heavier lines and curved frown makes it look much more modern and aggressive. The uniforms look about as good as they could if the Bulls got rid of the striping.

PS- Will you use the wishbone collar for all teams? That would suck, as one of the things that I like about NBA unis is the different collars.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

@CDD: Give me a couple more rounds of tweaks (I've found that after a good couple concepts or six, I can get it to or close to optimal-use for widespread distribution, to make it as user-friendly as possible), and sure--I'd have no problem sharing that with the masses. And also, I also think the red pinstripes on Chicago's old black alts made for some unnecessary clutter. (That said...don't be surprised to see some pinstripes pop up in fufure concept sets in this series--I already got some ready to go.)

In the meantime, since I'm still sitting here with nothing to do, I figured I'd post a quick update, per vicfurth's suggestion which later got seconded.

Here's the two frame-2s (that's what I call the uniform itself) posted together, so show the update. The white diamond--and corresponding trim--is back on the roads, and the waistbands have been added.

CHIbulls_stylebook2-2_zps85784acf.png

UPDATE

CHIbulls_stylebook2-3.png

Any better? Any worse? Lemme know.

I think the Black diamond on the roads faired better for contrast. The combination of elements for the road is now thrown off, IMO. The black lettering with white outline of the numbers / lettering now clashes with the white striping / diamond with black outlines.

You really can't go wrong either way on those road uniforms. LOVE the court and the touch-ups to the logo. I'm not the biggest NBA fan these days, but I can't wait to see the rest of this series.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE bring back the Bucks Irish Rainbow :D

I think the Black diamond on the roads faired better for contrast. The combination of elements for the road is now thrown off, IMO. The black lettering with white outline of the numbers / lettering now clashes with the white striping / diamond with black outlines.

Noted. I should've done a side-by side with the white/black trim on the roadies...maybe I will later today. (My thought process was the same as yours.)

And Nick, don't worry...I been sketching on your Bucks for quite some time (it was actually one of the first identites I set out on in this little endeavor). I think I got some rather interesting stuff on deck for that...keep an eye out.

Yeah, I should have said this in my post before: If the diamond changes colors, the lettering/numbers should follow suit.

I prefer the black diamond on the shorts for the road jersey, but overall pretty nice job here. Shoe concepts are something I haven't seen too much of, and I like how those turned out as well. Black alternate looks very classy, much better than what they currently have, but I wouldn't succumb to the urge to add pinstripes, unnecessary clutter on a jersey that is supposed to be simple. The one thing I would recommend would be to add some black trim to the home jersey, as you have emphasized black in the rest of the designs in the set and it is a part of their identity. Overall, nice job and looking forward to more. I do hope you get to all of 'em eventually, nice to see you with some new stuff.

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."

Cohenj.png

Aiight, here we go...frame-2 update #2.

I wasn't feeling the white-heavy road set, either, so I went back and changed it to black. How's this?

CHIbulls_stylebook2-4.png

Archived