Names/logos cities have used multiple times

kw11333

Boston Celtics

New York Knicks/Knickerbockers

Chicago White Sox (originally used by the Cubs)

MLS teams are odd. The league itself does not recognize any of the teams histories prior to '96, but the teams do.

That arguably applies to every NFL team that was around before 1960. Even more for the Packers, who the NFL pretends didn't exist for two years before they joining the league.

Enlight of this Hornets/Bobcats fiasco, I was thinking which cities have used the same name and/or logo more than one time.

There has been two Washington Senators teams, and the current day Nationals use the same "W" logo as the 2nd of the two Senators teams.

Ottawa has had two "Senators" teams as well, and they even have adopted the original logo used by the team in the 1910's.

Are there more instances of this?

The first Sentors team was also known as the Nationals. There was also a Washington National team in the American Association. Anyhow....

The Miami Marlins have existed as two seperate and unrelated minor league teams.

The St. Louis Cardinals used to be a football team (then they moved to Phoenix),

The Pittsburgh Steelers were originally the Pittsburgh Pirates

Early baseball had a number of redundancies that are reflected in modern baseball.

The Boston Braves/Red Sox were both the Boston Red Stockings at some point.

Similarly, the Chicago Cubs and White Sox have both been the White Stockings.

None of these teams have any association with their current counterparts:

Philadelphia Athletics (AA)

St. Louis Browns (NA/AA)

Cincinnati Red Stockings (AA)

New York Metropolitans (AA)

Milwaukee Brewers (AA)

Philadelphia Phillies (NA)

Washington Nationals (NA)

Baltimore has used the Colts name twice (CFL/NFL)

Actually three times. There was a Baltimore Colts team in the AAFC. That league folded in 1949; and three teams came into the NFL: the Colts, the 49ers, and the Cleveland Browns. The Colts folded after one year; then a new expansion team was founded a few years later, which became the second team to use the name Baltimore Colts. (Incidentally, the AAFC also had teams called the Buffalo Bills, the New York Yankees, and the Brooklyn Dodgers; so add all of those to the list of names used multiple times.)

The Baltimore CFL Colts (later Baltimore Stallions) had three stars in their logo to signify that this was the third iteration of the name "Colts":

1mj0en56f1he4oxk3ce2pppfw.gif

I thought the current Colts franchise was originally the New York Yankees, who became the Dallas Texans before ending up in Baltimore to use the name of the old AAFC team.

And I was reminded that there was a Long Island Ducks team in the EHL, as there currently is in the Atlantic League, an independent baseball league:

ehl--liduck67.gifducks_logo.gif

My dad used to a Long Island Ducks puck; I think he still has it somewhere.

Baltimore has used the Colts name twice (CFL/NFL)

Actually three times. There was a Baltimore Colts team in the AAFC. That league folded in 1949; and three teams came into the NFL: the Colts, the 49ers, and the Cleveland Browns. The Colts folded after one year; then a new expansion team was founded a few years later, which became the second team to use the name Baltimore Colts. (Incidentally, the AAFC also had teams called the Buffalo Bills, the New York Yankees, and the Brooklyn Dodgers; so add all of those to the list of names used multiple times.)

The Baltimore CFL Colts (later Baltimore Stallions) had three stars in their logo to signify that this was the third iteration of the name "Colts":

1mj0en56f1he4oxk3ce2pppfw.gif

I thought the current Colts franchise was originally the New York Yankees, who became the Dallas Texans before ending up in Baltimore to use the name of the old AAFC team.

Sort of... the Texans player contracts were trasnferred to the Baltimore ownership, but not the actual franchise... kind of the inverse of the Cleveland Browns deal.

in one of the 1930s AFLs, there was a team called the Chicago Bulls. Either in the same one or a different AFL, there were the Cincinnati Bengals (and I wanna say the Buffalo Bisons or Bills)

A few years before the current NY Giants were formed, there was an earlier NFL team named Brickley's New York Giants...and there were at least two football teams named the Brooklyn Dodgers, as well as at least two or three New York Yankees elevens.

The current Buffalo Bills are at least Bills II, seeing as there was an AAFC team by that name

Houston Aeros (WHA/IHL/AHL)

Cincinnati Cyclones (ECHL/IHL/UHL?/ECHL again)

Orlando Solar Bears

Omaha Royals (yall remember those couple years they were the Golden Spikes, don't you?)

San Francisco Seals

not exactly same name, but same theme: the LA Kings' name and original appearance were based on a 40s hockey team named the LA Monarchs, who had been moderately successful.

Also on the same theme kick: Altoona Rail Kings Curve

The Oakland Raiders

Birmingham Barons

Memphis Chickasaws/Chicks

Wilkes-Barre Barons

Lancaster Red Roses & York White Roses

Kansas City Comets

Cleveland Force

Common in Italian soccer almost to the point of absurdity (see Torino, Fiorentina, Pro Vercelli, among many others...hell, even Inter [though Mussolini forced them away from their name while he was in power, seeing as he didn't exactly encourage what Inter stood for])

If dictator meddling counts here, CF FC Barcelona

Quad City(Cities) River Bandits

and back in the day, the NY Rangers had an in-house junior/farm team, the New York Rovers. Like how we call the Rangers the Blueshirts, the Rovers were affectionately called the Redshirts. The first Rovers wound up folding in the early 50s, though shortly afterwards a new Rovers team began play. The second Rovers wouldn't last all that long, either, as they would become the Long Island Ducks.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

- The Toronto Maple Leafs were a baseball team in the International League that predates the current Maple Leafs hockey team (1896-1967) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_Maple_Leafs_%28International_League%29

- The Maple Leafs were also a soccer team in the Canadian National Soccer League in the 30s

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_National_Soccer_League

- The Maple Leafs is also the name of a current semi-pro baseball team in the Intercounty League (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_Maple_Leafs_%28semi-pro_baseball%29)

- While not *exactly* the same, Edmonton has a professional team named the Oilers and a junior team named the Oil Kings. Hamilton has also had more than one team named the Tiger(-Cat)s

- Victoria has had several teams named the "Cougars"

- How many Rough()Riders teams were there in the CFL again?

- Ottawa had a lacrosse team named the Rebels after the "Rideau Hall Rebels", one of the first professional hockey teams in the world.

- There have been two junior hockey teams known as the "Quebec Remparts"

The Houston Aeros have been around for 2 separate franchises and 3 leagues (WHL, IHL, AHL). The current version of the club still recognizes the WHL Aeros' titles and retired numbers (9-Gordie Howe) with banners up in the Toyota Center

You mean WHA, right?

yea, thats what i meant. thats what i get for typing before my coffee took effect.

Archived