What would have been the 2013 Winter Classic Designs

Pizzaman7294

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice to see that Toronto resisted the urge to go with the St. Pats throwbacks.

Why? That would have been awesome.

The St. Pats era, while part of the Leafs' lineage represents a sort of failed experiment. An attempt to brand themselves as a Celtic/Irish/Catholic-centric club, a hockey version of Celtic FC if you will. It didn't really take and they became the Maple Leafs, a team embraced across southwestern Ontario, and most of English Canada for decades. While the lineage of the St. Pats and Maple Leafs is one and the same the Leafs were the team that a nation got behind while the St. Pats were the team that didn't even really appeal to the demographic they were pandering to.

Also Maple Leafs vs Red Wings is a great historical rivalry. St. Pats vs Red Wings was never even a thing.

Plus there's the fact that the Leafs were chosen for this game because of their widespread appeal. The Toronto Maple Leafs brand is very strong. Why dilute it with a uniform set so far removed from the look the brand is known for?

...But the St. Pats vs the Cougars was a thing and we've seen Detroit use the striped jersey before. I thought they may go to that jersey match up. Not that I'm disappointed that they didn't this looks so much better.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

found some more images on fansedge....

NjYPB.jpg

I'm calling fake on these...

I highly doubt they'd spell his name wrong.

Image URL on the Fansedge site: http://c-product.ima.../29-07743-Y.jpg

Is it possible that fans Edge rendered these up themselves? Or would the image have been sent to them by Reebok?

untitled-6.jpg

...But the St. Pats vs the Cougars was a thing and we've seen Detroit use the striped jersey before. I thought they may go to that jersey match up.

That would have been cool wouldn't it? Its just that I love the St.Patricks name. I wish they would have kept it. I would have been a rabid "St.Pats" lover rather than a rabid "Maple Leafs" hater. :)

And I think eventually fans would have warmed up to the name. And instead of today hearing insufferable fans chant "Go Leafs Go" every 2 seconds (even when its not hockey season), we could hear classy fans chant "Go Pats Go". ;)

Out of all the nicknames that have come and gone in the NHL since 1917, "St.Patricks" is my third favourite.

The Catch of the Day!

Zetterberg really has some child-bearing hips, damn.

All the better to check you with, my dear.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Nice to see that Toronto resisted the urge to go with the St. Pats throwbacks.

Why? That would have been awesome.

The St. Pats era, while part of the Leafs' lineage represents a sort of failed experiment. An attempt to brand themselves as a Celtic/Irish/Catholic-centric club, a hockey version of Celtic FC if you will. It didn't really take and they became the Maple Leafs, a team embraced across southwestern Ontario, and most of English Canada for decades. While the lineage of the St. Pats and Maple Leafs is one and the same the Leafs were the team that a nation got behind while the St. Pats were the team that didn't even really appeal to the demographic they were pandering to.

Also Maple Leafs vs Red Wings is a great historical rivalry. St. Pats vs Red Wings was never even a thing.

Plus there's the fact that the Leafs were chosen for this game because of their widespread appeal. The Toronto Maple Leafs brand is very strong. Why dilute it with a uniform set so far removed from the look the brand is known for?

...But the St. Pats vs the Cougars was a thing and we've seen Detroit use the striped jersey before. I thought they may go to that jersey match up. Not that I'm disappointed that they didn't this looks so much better.

Yeah, but no one cared when the St. Pats played the Cougars.

I donno. This game was supposed to (and still may) feature two of the strongest brands in the NHL who also happen to be historical rivals. They should look the part.

Its just that I love the St.Patricks name. I wish they would have kept it. I would have been a rabid "St.Pats" lover rather than a rabid "Maple Leafs" hater. :)

And I think eventually fans would have warmed up to the name. And instead of today hearing insufferable fans chant "Go Leafs Go" every 2 seconds (even when its not hockey season), we could hear classy fans chant "Go Pats Go". ;)

Out of all the nicknames that have come and gone in the NHL since 1917, "St.Patricks" is my third favourite.

I think your the only person in existence whose fandom of Toronto hockey would have hinged on the keeping of the St. Pats name.

Again, they changed it because they couldn't even get the demographic they were pandering to with the name to support the club. I may be remembering the story wrong, but I think the St. Pats even resorted to giving their players fake Irish names, so yes it was pandering.

Not saying that most of English Canada wouldn't have gotten behind them if they kept the name, but that's not what happened. The Leafs became the Passion that Unites Us All. Hard to argue with the success of that brand change back in 1927.

I think your the only person in existence whose fandom of Toronto hockey would have hinged on the keeping of the St. Pats name.

No. There are 3 other people. 2 are in mental asylums and one is a hermit that lives in a shack somewhere in the mountains. :lol:

Again, they changed it because they couldn't even get the demographic they were pandering to with the name to support the club. I may be remembering the story wrong, but I think the St. Pats even resorted to giving their players fake Irish names, so yes it was pandering.

Not saying that most of English Canada wouldn't have gotten behind them if they kept the name, but that's not what happened. The Leafs became the Passion that Unites Us All. Hard to argue with the success of that brand change back in 1927.

I never heard that story about giving players Irish names. But I will tell you this. Did you know that Querrie (the owner) was planning on renaming the club just before the start of the 1926/27 season to.......

MAPLE LEAFS!!!!!

No joke. You see when Querrie bought the Arenas in 1919 he had actually renamed them the Toronto Tecumsehs after the lacrosse team that he owned. A few months later some of the owners of the Toronto St.Patricks OHA clubs joined Querrie as investors and suggested he call the team the St.Patricks instead, after the OHA club. Querrie agreed because he was the kind guy that loved being associated with winning. Since the St.Patricks had just won the district of Toronto championship in the OHA, Querrie wanted to be associated with that winning identity and renamed his club the Toronto St.Patricks hockey club about a month before the start of the 1919/20 season.

Anyway with the St.Pats struggling in 1926, Querrie wanted to name the team after the AAA baseball club the Toronto Maple Leafs because they had just won the 1926 junior World Series and he wanted to be associated with that winning team. Believe it or not but the baseball Maple Leafs were hugely popular in Toronto back then. He decided not to because of struggling finances and the fact he wasn't even sure he could afford the entire upcoming season. In fact during the 1926/27 season he was planning on selling the team to Philadelphia investors who were planning on relocation. Conn Smythe stepped in and offered to buy the team. He would rename the club the Maple Leafs himself but for different reasons that when Querrie was planning.

And do you know why Smythe wanted to rename the team right away and not wait until the next season? Well this has never been confirmed but the story is is that he was a Protestant and didn't like the "St.Patricks" name, and wanted to change it as soon as possible.

Go figure.

The Catch of the Day!

Archived