The 2013 NHL Season Thread

charger77

Wow. Kings are now on a 7-of-8 winning streak, and won the street fights vs. the Blues. Very rarely have I seen a team fold so dramatically in a game like St. Louis did tonight.

And for Jacob Muzzin (I'm gonna nickname him "Muzzletop" here on out), welcome to the show, rookie!

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always been curious, why are teams allowed to substitute players to serve penalties?

Most likely it's a goaltender that's been given a penalty and you wouldn't want to put the goalie in the penalty box.

Dwight King 2 min for Slashing; Served by Dustin Penner.

This sitaution is example #1 of the NHL rulebook's coincidental penalties reference table.

http://www.nhl.com/n...13_RuleBook.pdf (page 145)

A3-2:00 minor

B10-2x2:00 minors

Team B will play one player shorthanded for two minutes. Team B must place an additional player to serve the extra minor penalty to B10.

If I'm interpreting this correctly, it is because of Rule 19.5:

19.5 Applying the Coincidental Penalty Rule – When multiple penalties are assessed to both teams at the same stoppage of play, the following rules are to be utilized by the Referees to determine the on-ice strength for both teams:

(i) Cancel as many major and/or match penalties as possible

(ii) Cancel as many minor, bench minor and or double-minor penalties as possible

I've also seen players serving penalties for an injured teammate, and players serving for an ejected teammate (see Kaleta's checking from behind major+game misconduct the other day).

/nerd

Caps were losing 3-0 in the 2nd to the Bruins, came back & scored 3 goals & one in OT for a win. I couldn't make this stuff up.

I remember when the lower cases were 2-11.

I miss that team.

It was an impressive "come from behind" win for this Caps team. Then again, my brother, who is a Bruins fan, doesn't like Rask at all and I understood why last night.

Also, I don't miss those 2-11 Caps one bit.

Wednesday Night Rivalry or whatever is really losing steam already if this week's rivalry match is the Blackhawks and...the Avalanche. There was that one time the Avs beat the Hawks on the way to a Stanley Cup. I guess we're still supposed to be looking for payback or something. Maybe someone at NBC saw the Hawks destroying everything in their path with a Bowman in charge and mistook them for the Red Wings. I don't know. Whatever. Dumb.

And Drew Remenda really has to give it up. The whole Sharks thing would do well to ease up on the sentiment that the Sharks are the best ever at everything.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Another status qui night in the Western Conference. 4-10 still separated by like 2 points. Also, after tonight, Chicago could have a 20 point lead in the Central, amazing... Up yours SAS!

Don't expect that to change much between now and Game 48, since it's West-on-West combat the entire year.....

Wednesday Night Rivalry or whatever is really losing steam already if this week's rivalry match is the Blackhawks and...the Avalanche. There was that one time the Avs beat the Hawks on the way to a Stanley Cup. I guess we're still supposed to be looking for payback or something. Maybe someone at NBC saw the Hawks destroying everything in their path with a Bowman in charge and mistook them for the Red Wings. I don't know. Whatever. Dumb.

And Drew Remenda really has to give it up. The whole Sharks thing would do well to ease up on the sentiment that the Sharks are the best ever at everything.

Well, it did produce this:

spacer.png

That video - there was a time when Espen had two NHL analysts on at the same time.

"I can't really hear what Jeremy says because I got my two stanley cup rings plugged in my ear"

Him not pluralizing ear was really funny to me as a kid.

PvO6ZWJ.png

You answered your own question with "Brodeur injured." Their weapons are good, but not great, and not good enough when backstopped by Johan Hedberg, the other old goalie.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Game winning goal in the final minute from Dan "Gorilla Salad" Carcillo. I don't even know what sports is anymore.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Typical ESP-FAIL. Let's talk about the 'Hawks for 3 mins and then pretend we are talking about hockey by talking about a fight, then we'll go back to basketball 24/7/366 (yes, I know there are 365 days in a year, i'm making a point)

Braves.jpg

BigMac's posts make me want to punch babies.

Hockey is weird and I love it.

1. Who cares what ESPN says about hockey. Or anything.

2. If it weren't for this streak the NHL would be getting 3 minutes of coverage per week.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

If you wanted to make your point, you wouldn't have needed to explain it.

It's kinda like how explaining your joke makes your joke not very funny.

Well I know how people like to correct others so I am just covering my bases.

Braves.jpg

BigMac's posts make me want to punch babies.

Hockey is weird and I love it.

Archived