The 2013 NHL Season Thread

charger77

So, second time this season we're going to have to talk sense into people about a clean, hard hit by Andrew Desjardins, then.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dirty hit by Desjardins on Frasier. Then again, what did I expect from those San Jose scumbags.

Even Jim Fox didn't say it was that bad. I'm in Vegas so I get the LA feed.

Like what Still Mighty has said, just shut up dude.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

So, I dumped the standings as of yesterday into a spreadsheet and moved the teams around into the new divisions. I tried to make sense of the new playoff format (highest seeded division winner plays lowest wild card team, and you could have some interesting travel still out west, like Anaheim-Winnipeg in a first round series, for example. I guess this isn't much, if any, different than the current system though.

Yeah, it's only 68 more air miles than LA to Saint Louis, and that travel really bogged the Kings down last year.

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

Went to the Lightning game tonight. Isles did a great job of taking advantage of Lecavalier being injured by keying in on Stamkos and St. Louis. Stuck to them like glue. Also got sticks in lanes and executed defensive hockey plan well. Going back on Saturday vs. Carolina.

Braves.jpg

BigMac's posts make me want to punch babies.

Hockey is weird and I love it.

Dear Chicago Blackhawks,

You weren't the worst divisional rival (Nashville). In fact, you may have been the best. Your fans were always the easiest to get along with, even recently when the bandwagon blew up. For most of our time in the Central you were our brothers in the basement, but I never thought ill towards your rise to prominence. Good luck in the west.

Love,

the Columbus Blue Jackets

PvO6ZWJ.png

Dear Dallas Stars,

We liked your 5:00 games as much as you liked our 9:00 games.

Love,

the rest of the old Pacific

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

Has anyone heard who will be considered division champions in the new playoff format? Will it be regular season or the four teams that get past the first two rounds? If it's the latter, we could have crossover wild card teams winning division titles of divisions they're not in. While this has never happened with the CFL, I bet it would happen in the NHL since lower seeded teams get hot in the playoffs more often relative to other sports.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Has anyone heard who will be considered division champions in the new playoff format? Will it be regular season or the four teams that get past the first two rounds? If it's the latter, we could have crossover wild card teams winning division titles of divisions they're not in. While this has never happened with the CFL, I bet it would happen in the NHL since lower seeded teams get hot in the playoffs more often relative to other sports.

As I understand it, the top two seeds for each conference will be reserved for the division champions during the regular season, and spots #3-8 are determined by points order. It's only that the top-3 finishers in each division are guaranteed spots. And those 3rd-place finishers in any division could be the 4-seed through the 8-seed, depending on their points total.

Seems like we're making the Stanley Cup harder than it needs to be. It's like reading the realignment thread. Okay guys, 29 teams, 4 and a half divisions, first round if you finish in 9th better than the other conference finishes 8th you cross over into their bracket but you have to walk on your hands for a minute without falling down.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If we have two divisions per conference why not just the top four teams in each division play each other 1v4 and 2v3, then those two division champions play for the conference championship? You know, plain and simple like it used to be.

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - 2006  |  New Orleans JazzCats - Major League Hockey (AHL) - 2023

Because that could result in some terrible teams making the playoffs and decent teams missing. Also, it's bad for pretty good teams in divisions with dynastic teams. Ask Hawerchuk or the Stastnys.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

And that doesn't already happen with the winner of the NASCAR division getting a 3 seed while every team below them has more points? Ask whoever is 9th if they think that's fair, or whoever is 4th and gets the 4/5 death draw.

If the regular season is just a means to determine playoff seeding, and the majority of your schedule is against your division, and you can't beat those other teams enough times to be in the top four, then they deserve and won the right to that spot. If a "weaker" team in another division made it, too bad. They won the games that needed to be won, which is, if anything, more important in the crapshoot that is the Stanley Cup Playoffs than who can win more points, which is not a good way to determine who is better as long as the loser point is available, IMO.

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - 2006  |  New Orleans JazzCats - Major League Hockey (AHL) - 2023

Because that could result in some terrible teams making the playoffs and decent teams missing. Also, it's bad for pretty good teams in divisions with dynastic teams. Ask Hawerchuk or the Stastnys.

To wit, the previous format once yielded:

A 63 point LA Kings team that actually beat a 111 point Oilers team in a best-of-5 series

A 21-49 Maple Leafs team reaching the playoffs

The 27-39 Minnesota North Stars reaching the Stanley Cup Finals

We'll mock the 2012 Kings all we want, but 40-42 pales in comparison to what happened during the '80s and early '90s.

spacer.png

To wit, the previous format once yielded:

A 63 point LA Kings team that actually beat a 111 point Oilers team in a best-of-5 series

A 21-49 Maple Leafs team reaching the playoffs

The 27-39 Minnesota North Stars reaching the Stanley Cup Finals

We'll mock the 2012 Kings all we want, but 40-42 pales in comparison to what happened during the '80s and early '90s.

I've watched parts of that series on youtube and it was ridiculous. Game 1 was 10-8 and game 4 had Edmonton blowing a 5-0 third period lead.

edit: found a good video of game 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8dZUyOA1RE

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived