The 2013 NHL Season Thread

charger77

The Beej, even if they manage to get past the Blackhawks, would then probably have to play Anaheim (yes they won tonight, but let's see them do it three more times before the Ducks can win four).

I'm happy for the Jackets, I really am, but baby steps.

Beej actually won the season series. (2 wins to 1. 4 points to 3.)

This Ducks team is really starting to show some cracks and be more and more the team I expected them to be before the season. Ever since that epic, season high, top of the mountain moment in that win over Chicago in Anaheim, the Ducks have gone 5-7-2. (Two OT losses to Columbus.) 12 points out of 28. They should be damn thankful that they got out to the start they did and that this is only a half season. If we had to go the full 82, I'd fear for where they'd ultimately end up.

They'll hang on to the #2 spot and still win the division. But if they don't get some damn jump in their step soon (and really I think it's as simple as that, effort and focus) they aren't going to win one damn thing. Pull it together, Ducks. Easy schedule to finish out (@ Flames, @ Oilers x2, @ Vancouver, vs Phoenix), use it.

---

Oh and once again, hats off to Columbus. While the Ducks did not play well, the Jackets kept coming with it. They stuck around and took advantage of it. Keep it up, Columbus. Save us from the Stars and end the Red Wings' 21-year reign of terror. Go Jackets. (Especially tomorrow. Would be a dear and take out the trash on your way out of SoCal? Thanks :P )

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All I can gather here is that 'red can stop pushing the Beej Nation comments, because, clearly, this board has not only caught on, but is actually starting to show some fatal symptoms of the disease.

You know, if Columbus can finish at least 3-1 over their last four, I could actually root for them in the playoffs! Because, otherwise, my wonky rules prohibit my supporting a team in the playoffs that lost more games than they won. And that includes the Lightning if they ever made the playoffs with a losing record.

spacer.png

Jackets beat the Ducks in OT. Detroit falls to Calgary in regulation. Blackhawks clinch the 1 seed in the West. Beej are 2 points clear of the Wings for 8th. This is the most improbable of scenarios.

Also: Jimmy Howard, coming on strong late for the 2013 GIF Vezina. Look out, Mike Smith!

derpwings.gif

derpwings2.gif

Beaten to it, I'm afraid.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I couldn't post last night because I was too excited and because I didn't know what to say. I still don't.

The Blue Jackets were given a gift by Calgary and for the second straight game they reverse a third period deficit (which was a deficit because of one of the silliest goals I've ever seen. Talk about bad puck-luck) and win in overtime. It's really unbelievable. They're all character guys. They're all the guys everyone would love to have in their lockerroom and this is the first year where I don't have a player on the team that I curse every time he's on the ice. If last year's team had the same heart and soul and "give a damn" they would've been a playoff team.

This year's team was 5-12-2. They were out of it. They'd need to win 18 or 19 of their last 29 games to even have a shot and they've gone 16-4-3 since March 1st. The conversation was about whether they were gonna take Seth Jones or Mackinnon, then the conversation shifted to the worrywarts cringing as the team won games pushing them out of the Jones-Mackinnon draft position, now everyone's on the playoffs believe train and we don't care about Jones or Mackinnon. It hasn't happened yet, but if they make the playoffs it'll be one of the best sports stories in recent memory and they're already my favorite CBJ team (it's been that bad around here that a maybe 8th seed is my favorite team). And if they keep Detroit out of the playoffs too? Psh did I go to heaven?

I honestly don't care if they win a game in the playoffs. Just getting this far, establishing themselves as a hard-working team that doesn't quit, showing that they've turned the corner as an organization and a competently run hockey team with a plan and a future is enough.

I can't wait until next season.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Congrats McCarthy and the other Beej fans on here. I'll definitely be pulling for you guys in the playoffs.

There are still four games to play. Let's not start printing those playoff tickets just yet. And...Nashville is the only team in the west that doesn't have at least one game in hand over the Jackets. St. Louis, Dallas, and *Phoenix have two, Detroit has one. There's still a lot of hockey to play.

*I guess we have to count the Coyotes, right?

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

I don't understand why the NHL has not tried this.

Because team owners and arena operators don't like to nuke 25% of their schedule?

Or 67% of all inter-divisional and rivalry games?

If it's all about the money lost from losing 12 home dates (41-29 = 12, as far as I know), I covered that by putting the schedule all on weekends so that the games can be broadcast overseas to markets that would pay to watch them. Think of what else you could do with 12 free arena dates, also!

College hockey has things like the Beanpot Tournament, and the Swiss League has the Spengler Cup, which generates a significant amount of revenue for HC Davos. Why couldn't the NHL organize a tournament like this? I realize there is the risk of injury in what would amount to an exhibition tournament - but if that's the case, schedule it after the playoffs or something.

Aside from that - Iguess I'm pulling for the Beej, too. This season will have an asterisk beside it anyway...

Jackets beat the Ducks in OT. Detroit falls to Calgary in regulation. Blackhawks clinch the 1 seed in the West. Beej are 2 points clear of the Wings for 8th. This is the most improbable of scenarios.

Also: Jimmy Howard, coming on strong late for the 2013 GIF Vezina. Look out, Mike Smith!

derpwings.gif

derpwings2.gif

Leave it to Steve Begin to score both of those. We're one point back of Edmonton for 12th in the West.

This wasn't the plan asshats!

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Congrats McCarthy and the other Beej fans on here. I'll definitely be pulling for you guys in the playoffs.

There are still four games to play. Let's not start printing those playoff tickets just yet. And...Nashville is the only team in the west that doesn't have at least one game in hand over the Jackets. St. Louis, Dallas, and *Phoenix have two, Detroit has one. There's still a lot of hockey to play.

Yeah, Detroit is not going to go away easily and the Jackets have 3 more road games left (LA, SJ, and Dallas). It's still a tall hill to climb, but I do know that you can never at any point count out this Blue Jackets hockey team.

Let's see if we're alone in 8th on April 27th, then we can truly celebrate. Really though I feel like they've already exceeded their goals and expectations this year so playoffs would just be gravy.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Yeah, Detroit is not going to go away easily and the Jackets have 3 more road games left (LA, SJ, and Dallas). It's still a tall hill to climb, but I do know that you can never at any point count out this Blue Jackets hockey team.

Let's see if we're alone in 8th on April 27th, then we can truly celebrate. Really though I feel like they've already exceeded their goals and expectations this year so playoffs would just be gravy.

Exactly. Just getting up off the mats - or in this case, ice - after being 5-12-2 to get this far is pretty damned impressive. Honestly, when they got to the point where 12 of the final 17 games were on the road, I figured the playoffs were a long shot at best. The fact that there are 4 games to play and they're still in the playoff hunt is pure bonus. No matter what happens from here, it's been a great season. The future looks pretty bright.

BB52Big.jpg

Plus, if you consider Rick Nash's departure, there are (were) no other recognizable names left when the season started. Or very few.

Anyway, there are a few factors to consider as to why the Blue Jackets have a playoff chance. But instead of writing a paragraph, I will summarize it in 2 words: Sergei Bobrovski.

Anyway, there are a few factors to consider as to why the Blue Jackets have a playoff chance. But instead of writing a paragraph, I will summarize it in 2 words: Sergei Bobrovski.

And we all know what can happen with a hot goalie in the playoffs.

BB52Big.jpg

Why stop at 8th. If CBJ can gain 5 out of a possible 8 points, and Minnesota and St Louis who obviously are playing like they don't want to be around long. Blue Jackets can move up in these standings, I know just getting in is what matters but this team can do it, I know they can.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

And we all know what can happen with a hot goalie in the playoffs.

And we still miss him, even after 3 years. :(

Halak's name still gets brought up in the media and on social networks, all the time over here. It went especially rampant these last few days, considering Price's recent struggles, which includes getting pulled 2 games in a row, and Budaj is not doing much either.

Archived