The 2013 NHL Season Thread

charger77

The Caps played a hockey game last night and lost to the Devils 3-2. However, the Caps were leading 2-1 at the start of the third period and that's when the wheels came off.

They took SEVEN (albeit one was at the end of the game) penalties in that period. Here's the infraction breakdown for the 3rd:

1:16 WASHINGTON boarding - 2 min N. Backstrom drawn by A. Larsson

1:16 NEW JERSEY cross checking - 2 min A. Larsson drawn by N. Backstrom

2:55 WASHINGTON holding - 2 min M. Hendricks drawn by I. Kovalchuk

3:09 WASHINGTON smothering puck - 2 min T. Kundratek

6:52 WASHINGTON tripping - 2 min A. Ovechkin drawn by A. Ponikarovsky

9:59 WASHINGTON hooking - 2 min J. Erskine drawn by P. Elias

10:51 WASHINGTON interference - 2 min T. Poti drawn by D. Clarkson

20:00 WASHINGTON spearing - 5 min T. Brouwer

Being on the PK for nearly the entire period is no way to win a hockey game!!

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't switching Nashville and Winnipeg make more sense? Nashville seems like it should be in the Southeast, and Columbus seems like it should be in the Great Lakes heavy Central.

I'll be damned if a team in the central time zone moves east before the Blue Jackets. Detroit getting picked over us would be preferable to that.

Anyways, I don't think it's going to happen anymore as it's looking like a Winnipeg-Quebec flipflop, but that's what I said three years ago so what the hell do any of us know?!

PvO6ZWJ.png

The West will collectively raise hell if the Wings move East. This obsession with time zones is getting weird. Where is this North America where Detroit is considered more aligned with Boston, Toronto, and Ottawa than Chicago, Minneapolis, and St. Louis?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

"Me and Ericsson were going to fight, we were backing up," Dorsett said. "Tootoo was being himself and came in swinging, being the cheap player that he is. In my mind he should have gotten a suspension. Tootoo is a pretty irrelevant player."

- Derek Dorsett on his fight with Jordin Tootoo

Why is that guy still in the league?

PvO6ZWJ.png

Tootoo is a nice story as far as being the first Inuit in the league (frankly, I don't know how it took this long), but he offers absolutely nothing as a player. Why the Red Wings of all teams would sign him still befuddles me.

Unrelated to absolutely anything, but whoa guys, don't ever leave an unfinished can of Dad's root beer out overnight and then take a swig from it in the morning. It was delicious last night, but now I feel like I just drank Dr. McSchmarfenberger's Olde-Tyme Medicinal Tonic. Now I'm going to grow hair on my teeth.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Photo of admiral, one week from today:

gigantism.jpg

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The West will collectively raise hell if the Wings move East. This obsession with time zones is getting weird. Where is this North America where Detroit is considered more aligned with Boston, Toronto, and Ottawa than Chicago, Minneapolis, and St. Louis?

This. North American pro sports will always be very east-heavy with the majority of any one league's teams east of the Mississippi. If leagues are dead set on geographical alignment (and I don't see any other way to do it) then you have to fudge it a bit when it comes to the eastern-teams-that-aren't-as-eastern-as-the-other-eastern-teams.

Original Six crap?

But you can't then leave the Blackhawks to whither and die while the other five teams can enjoy each other's company. Furthermore, it would be unfair to the West to have no ancient rivalries in their Conference.

Ideally I'd like to see Toronto back in the West with the likes of Detroit, Chicago, and Minnesota (giving each conference three Original Six teams), but that's probably not happening.

Tootoo is a nice story as far as being the first Inuit in the league (frankly, I don't know how it took this long), but he offers absolutely nothing as a player. Why the Red Wings of all teams would sign him still befuddles me.

There was a big out cry in the off season from the fan base here that the team was not "tough enough" and it really flared up after the Weber/Zetterberg incidend and notbody on the team did a thing about it.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Jets defenseman Zach Redmond got severely injured during practice in Raleigh yesterday. Anybody on here that keeps up with the Jets could point me to a beat writer article that would be great... also, 33 years ago today... this:

EDIT, got tweeted this article about Redmond (scary stuff) http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/Jets-Redmond-out-for-season-too-early-to-tell-how-recovery-will-go--192554561.html

Braves.jpg

BigMac's posts make me want to punch babies.

Hockey is weird and I love it.

Ideally I'd like to see Toronto back in the West with the likes of Detroit, Chicago, and Minnesota (giving each conference three Original Six teams), but that's probably not happening.

While having a 3-3 Original Six split among the Conferences would be nice to have, I just can't get on board with the Leafs moving away from their three biggest rivals in the East.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

While having a 3-3 Original Six split among the Conferences would be nice to have, I just can't get on board with the Leafs moving away from their three biggest rivals in the East.

I'm just gonna say that Montreal/Toronto has (very sadly) lost some meaning now that they play each other all the time.

Or move all the "original" six teams into the East. Let the insufferableness stay in one conference.

Yeah forget Toronto/Montreal or Chicago/Detroit. Nashville/Phoenix is what truly captures the hearts and minds of hockey fans.

Archived