The 2013 NHL Season Thread

charger77

Actually, this discussion about the Sharks reminds me of an interesting question (to me!) that ultimately rates how much one values championships. It was really between the Lightning and Senators, but the Sharks also work here.

Basically, here's the outline:

Sharks/Senators - been in the postseason more often than not, and had many star players come through the organization, past and present.

Lightning - missed the playoffs 13 of 19 seasons, and have only had a handful of star players in time. Also had some of the worst ownership groups the NHL has ever seen.

Of course, the Lightning (somehow) won a Stanley Cup, while neither the Sharks or Senators have (Sharks haven't even played in a Final).

So, if you had to choose, which team would you rather have been a fan of for the past 20 years? It seems easy to pick the team that's won a championship, but there's a respect to be had for organizations that routinely put out rosters that can get to the playoffs, where anything can happen. The late 1998-2001 Lightning teams were some of the worst in NHL history. The Senators were pretty awful in their first four seasons, but they had the excuse of being brand new.

spacer.png

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shark fans had a real easy transition into the league after being an expansion team. Playoff upsets of the Wings and Flames come to mind, and losing in the West Final in 2004 probably stands as their best and easiest shot at the Cup, yet they got beat up by a former coach and player.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Didn't the Japanese mob own the Lightning at first?

2004 was so weird in hindsight. The Sharks guys like Nils Ekman and Alyn McCauley put up very competent numbers and weren't exactly a star studded cast, yet ko'd the Dream Team Avalanche in the 2nd round. Hard to believe that was our closest chance to the Cup.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Shark fans had a real easy transition into the league after being an expansion team. Playoff upsets of the Wings and Flames come to mind, and losing in the West Final in 2004 probably stands as their best and easiest shot at the Cup, yet they got beat up by a former coach and player.

That's kind of a stretch. Don't know if they could have beaten Detroit in the West had Gelinas not ended their year first, and even with that, the Philly/Tampa dog fight in the East Finals proved that conference had the more equipped Cup Final team.

And remember, in those West Finals, the Sharkies had trouble at home but somewhat redeemed themselves with their own steals at the Saddledome.

They did beat Colorado in the 2nd round, and Calgary was kinda supposed to be that feeble #6 seed that was lucky to be where they were. I think the Minnesota Wild had done the exact same thing the previous year, but they got whacked by (oddly) a #7 seed.

Calgary and the "C of Red" was the most overrated narrative of the 2004 postseason. Calgary was 5-7 at the Saddledome. They did their damage by winning three of four in Vancouver, two of three in Detroit, all three in San Jose, and splitting four in Tampa.

spacer.png

Calgary's run in 2004 will always stand as a fluke, I saw it first hand. I can remember what the feeling was after they tanked in Game 4, like almost nobody thought they'd win two straight.

The Sharks in 2004 had really good goaltending and their depth is what really got them by Colorado and tied with Calgary. But as we know after that fact, even with their really good teams, they blew it. Kinda forgot they lost in 5 to Vancouver in 2011.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Calgary and the "C of Red" was the most overrated narrative of the 2004 postseason.

Yes, but Shirts Off For Kiprusoff was a fun time to like hockey and be 17.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 goal in 2 games so far for the Sabres' Ron Rolston era. Anybody want Thomas Vanek at the trade deadline?

Vanek for Stalberg, a 1st, and a prospect. I also want the right to punch Patrick Kaleta in the face. Repeatedly. Indefinitely.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Actually, this discussion about the Sharks reminds me of an interesting question (to me!) that ultimately rates how much one values championships. It was really between the Lightning and Senators, but the Sharks also work here.

Basically, here's the outline:

Sharks/Senators - been in the postseason more often than not, and had many star players come through the organization, past and present.

Lightning - missed the playoffs 13 of 19 seasons, and have only had a handful of star players in time. Also had some of the worst ownership groups the NHL has ever seen.

Of course, the Lightning (somehow) won a Stanley Cup, while neither the Sharks or Senators have (Sharks haven't even played in a Final).

So, if you had to choose, which team would you rather have been a fan of for the past 20 years? It seems easy to pick the team that's won a championship, but there's a respect to be had for organizations that routinely put out rosters that can get to the playoffs, where anything can happen. The late 1998-2001 Lightning teams were some of the worst in NHL history. The Senators were pretty awful in their first four seasons, but they had the excuse of being brand new.

Speaking as a Sens fan, I would trade every playoff appearance for a Stanley Cup. I was a pretty spoiled hockey fan growing up since I was too young to remember any of the really awful expansion-era teams. I got to see my team in the playoffs every season from the age of 5 to the age of 16 so simply making the playoffs seemed like more of a formality than an achievement. A championship is something that can never be taken away and a memory that's cherished forever. When sports fans get into debates about their respective teams it always comes down to championships. No one really brags about making (and losing in) the playoffs in 13 of the past 15 seasons.

Speaking as a Sens fan, I would trade every playoff appearance for a Stanley Cup.

While it doesn't quite apply to those of us who have seen our teams win the Stanley Cup, I'm sure that's a trade that every NHL fan would gladly make.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

1 goal in 2 games so far for the Sabres' Ron Rolston era. Anybody want Thomas Vanek at the trade deadline?

Vanek for Stalberg, a 1st, and a prospect. I also want the right to punch Patrick Kaleta in the face. Repeatedly. Indefinitely.

How about the right to punch Pat Kaleta in the face indefinitely for future considerations?

Do you think the Sabres would consider trading Miller?

He's been on the decline and is entering his contract. He also seems to be growing increasingly frustrated with the Sabres. I could see the Blackhawks or Leafs having interest. I know Crawford and Reimer have been playing well this year but I'm not sure either team is really confident that those guys could lead their teams to a cup.

Archived