• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought once Gillette stadium was replaced we'd never see an NFL stadium in MLS again. Guess not. (Assuming this happens of course)

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

What is success for a new MLS team, attendance-wise? 15,000 a game? 20?

Sub-question, will there be a team that can match the 40,000 Seattle gets? Or, what comes first -- Seattle's attendance meets the rest of the league in the middle, or a team reaches Seattle's level?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

how did i even forget about Seattle when I made my previous post?

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

My understanding is that CenturyLink was originally designed for both soccer and football, so not sure it's in the same category as Gillette or RFK.

Per Wikipedia: CenturyLink Field is also designed for soccer.[16] The stadium meets FIFA sight line requirements and provides separate locker rooms for soccer teams.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

My understanding is that CenturyLink was originally designed for both soccer and football, so not sure it's in the same category as Gillette or RFK.

Per Wikipedia: CenturyLink Field is also designed for soccer.[16] The stadium meets FIFA sight line requirements and provides separate locker rooms for soccer teams.

I'll take it! :)

In the future, the US should have their qualifying games against Mexico in Seattle. Imagine putting 70,000 American fans in there like the Seahawks do. It will be really loud. It could be our answer to Azteca. The Niners melted up there last year and lost by 30. Plus I don't believe Seattle has a whole lot of Mexicans like LA either.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

What is success for a new MLS team, attendance-wise? 15,000 a game? 20?

Sub-question, will there be a team that can match the 40,000 Seattle gets? Or, what comes first -- Seattle's attendance meets the rest of the league in the middle, or a team reaches Seattle's level?

That is one of the most pressing questions in a post-Beckham MLS.

BusinessWeek.com ran a small story today on with some interesting facts regarding MLS.

Galaxy attendance is down 6% from last year.

Chivas attendance is down by 33%.

Overall league attendance is down approx. 4% from last year but up 11% since 2008 (SEA and POR have to assist that).

The league revenues and expenses are more nebulous than the other major sports leagues of North America. In 2013, the original owners like Hunt and Kraft have to have made their losses back from the early years when they were buying airtime for games and keeping ad revenue, but how much is still a mystery.

This is a league which Montreal paid $40M in fees to get into and that a 60% share of DC United sold for $50M.

We also know that if you are a player under age 25, you are most likely going to make the salary of an experienced school teacher and the salary cap is not even $4M/team.

In the future, the US should have their qualifying games against Mexico in Seattle. Imagine putting 70,000 American fans in there like the Seahawks do. It will be really loud. It could be our answer to Azteca. The Niners melted up there last year and lost by 30. Plus I don't believe Seattle has a whole lot of Mexicans like LA either.

If it ain't broke...

Right now the US has a psychological edge over the Mexicans in Columbus much like they have on us at Azteca. No need to mess with a good thing right now.

With all these teams clamoring for MLS franchises, we may see regulation in North American soccer after all. What would be the theoretical limit?

It's relegation, not regulation and I don't see it ever happening. As much as I'd love it to (especially as a fan of a second-division side), I just don't think it's feasible.

6fQjS3M.png

With all these teams clamoring for MLS franchises, we may see regulation in North American soccer after all. What would be the theoretical limit?

FIFA prefers 20 teams in a league, clearly MLS is going to go over that.

I'm sure they'll justify it by saying that they have 2 countries in their league.

Relegation is antithetical to the American way of life. We must create methods to both A. sustain the aristocracy and B., shut out the proles from ever having a chance of moving up. Relegation is too simple and pure a meritocracy; we're not so good at that.

FIFA prefers 20 teams in a league, clearly MLS is going to go over that.

I'm sure they'll justify it by saying that they have 2 countries in their league.

Meh, I don't think we care much what FIFA has to say about the matter. Unless they pull the "we'll give you the 2022 WC after all if you do this because Qatar's a trainwreck" card, I think we don't particularly care.

6fQjS3M.png

It's relegation, not regulation and I don't see it ever happening. As much as I'd love it to (especially as a fan of a second-division side), I just don't think it's feasible.

We won't see the promotion/relegation system in North America.

How mad would you be if you were Montreal, Portland, Seattle or, Vancouver who had to pay millions to get into MLS then suddenly they introduce a promotion/relegation system and a team like Minnesota (just for argument's sake because they won NASL in 2012) gets in MLS only because of performance?

How mad would you be if you were Montreal, Portland, Seattle or, Vancouver who had to pay millions to get into MLS then suddenly they introduce a promotion/relegation system and a team like Minnesota (just for argument's sake because they won NASL in 2012) gets in MLS only because of performance?

plus, it is too foreign to NA sports fans. Top premier leagues with underdogs every now and again are what fans like.

No regulation since MLS has a single entity business plan plus it is easier to fleece a city from public money for a soccer-specific stadium knowing that they will not be sent down to a lower division.

plus, it is too foreign to NA sports fans. Top premier leagues with underdogs every now and again are what fans like.

That is true.

I don't know about the markets you guys are in, but the Canadian Championship and CONCACAF Champion's league games here in Toronto has significantly less attendance. Speaking to casual soccer fans, I've found that they just don't get the concept. "Why would a team from Canada play a team from Mexico? They aren't in North America!"

I could see the casuals struggling with the concept.

For it to ever happen, it would have to be a second division of MLS; it wouldn't happen between leagues.

If it ever happens (which I severely doubt), it would be many, many, many years down the line.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived