Well, two teams who have borrowed names from the original NASL are playing for the first time. :P

Rowdies, maybe. But the Cosmos organization never left - when the league ceased operations, the Cosmos just went from fielding a team to running soccer camps to now fielding a team again. There's a continuity of ownership that you don't usually see in these cases.

But man, do I wish I was in Tampa today. I'll be there for the rematch at Hofstra.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, two teams who have borrowed names from the original NASL are playing for the first time. :P

Rowdies, maybe. But the Cosmos organization never left - when the league ceased operations, the Cosmos just went from fielding a team to running soccer camps to now fielding a team again. There's a continuity of ownership that you don't usually see in these cases.

But man, do I wish I was in Tampa today. I'll be there for the rematch at Hofstra.

Great match last night. Sellout crowd of over 7000 were there to see the 0-0 tie. Officiating was spotty, and a Rowdies player got a red card with 10 secs. or so left in stoppage time. I really think if done right, this Tampa Bay market could support MLS in time.. This ownership group knows what they are doing. This is the teams 4th season and theyre more than on their way to bigger and better things.

Yeah that was a really entertaining 0-0 game. Rowdies keeper Diego Restrepo was definitely player of the match. The ref was really spotty against both teams, I think, but it was pretty entertaining.

But the atmosphere was fantastic, I took my sister and a good friend and we hung out with Ralph's Mob and everything. Plus, we threw the streamers on the field and I got to chuck 3.

With the draw in the Atlanta-Carolina game, there is a 4 way tie at 4 points for the lead in the NASL, with the rowdies ahead on goal differential.

The Cosmos have had the same trouble both games - dominating the play, with tons of shots on goal, but can't get it past the keeper.

I'm pretty impressed so far that they're holding their own with teams that are already in mid-season form. I know the Strikers didn't have the greatest spring, but the Rowdies did pretty well for themselves. I honestly expected the Cosmos to struggle as they got used to playing together, and maybe they still will.

The Cosmos have had the same trouble both games - dominating the play, with tons of shots on goal, but can't get it past the keeper.

I'm pretty impressed so far that they're holding their own with teams that are already in mid-season form. I know the Strikers didn't have the greatest spring, but the Rowdies did pretty well for themselves. I honestly expected the Cosmos to struggle as they got used to playing together, and maybe they still will.

If the Cosmos can find a way to get the ball in the back of the net on a regular basis they will be pretty hard to beat.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Bosnia and Herzgovina were beating the US 2-0 at half. Then Jurgen gave the best halftime speech ever, and the Yanks scored 4 straight. Altidore had a hat trick, an assist, and one of the best free kicks I've seen. B&H scored a goal late, but the US beat the #13 team in the world.

So what does this mean? Bosnia is going to qualify for the World Cup next summer. A great win against a world class team means that this team is legit. That's 12 straight wins going into games against Costa Rica and Mexico in the next few weeks.

Bosnia and Herzgovina were beating the US 2-0 at half. Then Jurgen gave the best halftime speech ever, and the Yanks scored 4 straight. Altidore had a hat trick, an assist, and one of the best free kicks I've seen. B&H scored a goal late, but the US beat the #13 team in the world.

So what does this mean? Bosnia is going to qualify for the World Cup next summer. A great win against a world class team means that this team is legit. That's 12 straight wins going into games against Costa Rica and Mexico in the next few weeks.

For the first time maybe ever, the US Men's National team has an abundance of riches not in goal! Klinsmann should go to the Oldsmobile Offense, you know, the 4-4-2 ;) Jozy Altidore has partners upfront, whether it's Eddie Johnson, Clint Dempsey, Landon Donovan, even the new kid Aron Johansson. The midfield, wow...Clint and Landon, plus Michael Bradley, Jermaine Jones, Fabian Johnson, Joe Corona..wow, too many to name.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

I as at a Twins game Wednesday afternoon but I was checking my phone for updates on that USMNT-Bosnia match with my buddy. So glad to hear Johannsson made his US debut and performed well, and I couldn't be happier at the fact we not only beat a top squad, but made a multiple-goal comeback to win. Very pumped for the rest of the Hex

sport-scarf_vikes_zps08004021.png

I as at a Twins game Wednesday afternoon but I was checking my phone for updates on that USMNT-Bosnia match with my buddy. So glad to hear Johannsson made his US debut and performed well, and I couldn't be happier at the fact we not only beat a top squad, but made a multiple-goal comeback to win. Very pumped for the rest of the Hex

Holy :censored:, I had no idea Bosnia-Herzegovina was a FIFA top 15 team.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Holy :censored:, I had no idea Bosnia-Herzegovina was a FIFA top 15 team.

Yeah, same here. On the train ride there my friend was saying they were #13 and I had to look it up because I couldn't believe it!

sport-scarf_vikes_zps08004021.png

On one hand, Bosnia-Herzegovina have beaten a bunch of not-really-good teams in qualifying (they were drawn with Greece and Slovakia as their Pot 1 and Pot 2 opponents—the two weakest available) which is more than anything why they're at #13 in the rankings. Similarly, Switzerland are now at #15, leading their group who's "top" team is Norway. Never wrapped my head around how a team who hasn't qualified for a major tournament since Euro 2000 could be ranked #12 following Euro 2012 but whatever.

On the other hand, Edin Dzeko's really, really good and they'll more than likely be in Brazil come 2014.

6fQjS3M.png

I'd be fine with drawing Costa Rica, especially considering the issues we've had there the last few times we've played there. Mexico in Columbus though, hopefully we can win by multiple goals given that they can't beat us there.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

I have a feeling that Bosnia's ranking is comparable to an undefeated Big East CFB team in early November. Yeah, you are ranked #9 but we all know you aren't that good.

...but, in the case of BIH, you start going down their lineup and thinking, "Wow, they've got some serious players. I had no idea."

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Then again, you could say the same thing about the US's ranking growing, so...

Oh, for sure. The fan in me likes to think we are Louisville. We have some impressive friendly victories. (Bowl victories in Louisville's case, like the Sugar Bowl) We can win Gold Cups and CONCACAF (Louisville wins the Big East, though it is no where near like winning the SEC. It is better than winning the MAC.) Both have good players but only one or two great ones. Both are now seeing days of promise and more light to greater glory. Will it be fulfilled? Maybe not. In fact, probably not. It is all probably just hope from hungry fans. However, the prospects never seemed brighter.

Archived