In fairness, Red Bull Arena is closer to Manhattan than MetLife (or at least is by NJ Transit). It also looks super depressing as you pass it by; there's nothing around it except dead fields and dead buildings.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In fairness, Red Bull Arena is closer to Manhattan than MetLife (or at least is by NJ Transit). It also looks super depressing as you pass it by; there's nothing around it except dead fields and dead buildings.

When were you in my neck of the woods?

MetLife is closer to NYC, and now there is a NJ Transit train that serves it though you have to transfer in Secaucus. The PATH station is right by Red Bull arena in Harrison, but it is closer to Newark just across the Pasaic River from Penn Station and the Ironbound, which is a hotbed for Soccer. Kearny, Harrison and the Ironbound were major area for soccer even before this renewed intrest in soccer in the USA. Several members of the 1990 World Cup team were from the area.

BTW the only place where the is more Protugese and Brazillians than Ironbound is Brazil and Portugal, so you have that helping to drive interest in socccer too.

They are fixing things up btw, new buisnesses hotels shopping centers etc. Also not far from there is the Tops Diner, one of the best in New Jersey and the location of where some of the first soccer games were played in America.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

MetLife is closer to NYC, and now there is a NJ Transit train that serves it though you have to transfer in Secaucus. The PATH station is right by Red Bull arena in Harrison, but it is closer to Newark just across the Pasaic River from Penn Station and the Ironbound, which is a hotbed for Soccer. Kearny, Harrison and the Ironbound were major area for soccer even before this renewed intrest in soccer in the USA. Several members of the 1990 World Cup team were from the area.

BTW the only place where the is more Protugese and Brazillians than Ironbound is Brazil and Portugal, so you have that helping to drive interest in socccer too.

They are fixing things up btw, new buisnesses hotels shopping centers etc. Also not far from there is the Tops Diner, one of the best in New Jersey and the location of where some of the first soccer games were played in America.

Wrestlemania 29 :). The train from Penn Station passed by Red Bull Arena en route to Secaucus en route to MetLife.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Wrestlemania 29 :). The train from Penn Station passed by Red Bull Arena en route to Secaucus en route to MetLife.

I know this is the soccer thread but, jealous about Wrestlemania.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I love being able to receive sports channels from NYC now. On MSG, the Red Bulls play. On SNY, the Cosmos are seen. And soon, YES will be replaying Manchester City games, and in 2015, NYFC Football Yankees games.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

No, but NYCFC can be. As could possibly the Cosmos.

But who wants to watch minor league soccer?

People who like soccer.

People who like baseball go and watch minor league baseball.

People who like hockey go and watch minor league hockey.

There are also people who like soccer.

6fQjS3M.png

I think that was more a slam on the Cosmos, who currently play in the second division, than NYCFC and MLS.

I'm believing so. But, with the backing of SNY, this does appear that the Cosmos might be trying to become the third NY/NJ team in MLS.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Who knows? The Cosmos decided not to pursue MLS at a certain point - among other things, they weren't willing to turn over the rights to their crest, which was a condition of entry. Perhaps that'll change in a couple years, especially if they do well in the second division (and if NYCFC is another Red Bulls).

Well I didn't have an MLS team close enough to really get into, so I found the next best outlet, the Rowdies. I've become really into the culture and team over the last 2 years, an made it to the 3 games I could while I was home this summer. If you don't support your local team, just because they aren't the tippy top, then they don't have you as an outlet to bring more fans to games, resulting in no chance of top league soccer.

Anyone familiar with the free beer movement? It's a blog that has a goal of soccer fans buying their non-fan friends a beer and inviting them to watch a game. Since I'm underage, I try to do the same thing in a way, I offer rides to anyone who is interested if they pay for their ticket. Who knows, maybe if they start going to games and attendance blows up, you could have first league soccer very soon.

Well I didn't have an MLS team close enough to really get into, so I found the next best outlet, the Rowdies. I've become really into the culture and team over the last 2 years, an made it to the 3 games I could while I was home this summer. If you don't support your local team, just because they aren't the tippy top, then they don't have you as an outlet to bring more fans to games, resulting in no chance of top league soccer.

Anyone familiar with the free beer movement? It's a blog that has a goal of soccer fans buying their non-fan friends a beer and inviting them to watch a game. Since I'm underage, I try to do the same thing in a way, I offer rides to anyone who is interested if they pay for their ticket. Who knows, maybe if they start going to games and attendance blows up, you could have first league soccer very soon.

That's smart. The in-person experience at soccer games is way better than watching on TV. For so many sports, it's the exact opposite (especially football). I go to Sounders games because they're relatively cheap, guaranteed to last no more than two hours, and they're always fun.

^

Being a hardcore TFC fan some days it's hard to get up for a game. It never fails though, the second I get to BMO and see the gates I get excited all over again.

I'll say it over and over and over again, soccer is easily the best in stadium experience. One day I'd love to get out to Seattle though, I see the TIFO online and watch the games online and would just love to be there.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

No, but NYCFC can be. As could possibly the Cosmos.

But who wants to watch minor league soccer?

So EVERY league outside the BPL is minor league?
No. MLS is pretty good, not anywhere as good as the top European leagues, but why should amyone watch the Cosmos when MLS is better and there are better leagues than MLS?

^

Being a hardcore TFC fan some days it's hard to get up for a game. It never fails though, the second I get to BMO and see the gates I get excited all over again.

I'll say it over and over and over again, soccer is easily the best in stadium experience. One day I'd love to get out to Seattle though, I see the TIFO online and watch the games online and would just love to be there.

Wow, that is saying something TFC may be the worst professional team in the world. Some pub clubs in London can beat them,

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived