• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, I actually like talking about soccer and not holding pissing matches over the Cosmos so I figured we needed a thread to actually talk about, oh you know, the other teams in the country.

Anyone see Feilhaber's golazo last night? Brilliant.

There is nothing preventing anyone in this community - yourself included - from discussing any aspect of domestic soccer besides the Cosmos in this thread. Similarly, the membership of this community - again, yourself included - is free to ignore all Cosmos-related chat that takes place in this thread. That being the case, a second "Domestic Soccer 2013" thread would be superfluous.

Since that thread's gone, let me bring it over here:

Everything about this afternoon's Fire-Houston match was depressing. The past year has me wondering whether the Fire are still going to be here in five years' time.

Oh, and staying on topic: :censored: the Cosmos.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Hey, I actually like talking about soccer and not holding pissing matches over the Cosmos so I figured we needed a thread to actually talk about, oh you know, the other teams in the country.

Anyone see Feilhaber's golazo last night? Brilliant.

There is nothing preventing anyone in this community - yourself included - from discussing any aspect of domestic soccer besides the Cosmos in this thread. Similarly, the membership of this community - again, yourself included - is free to ignore all Cosmos-related chat that takes place in this thread. That being the case, a second "Domestic Soccer 2013" thread would be superfluous.

Thank you "Brian in Boston" as for the name Cosmos, you are correct.

When the original business shot down and somebody buys the name, that does not make it the same history. The name was liquidated and Pepe won it the sale.

The dead company sold off assets, as did the Cosmos did in the 1980s. Selling assets means you are over and done. All which is left is to bring back the name you buy to re-use. It was done with Hostess.

crashcarson15 and Sodboy13... seeing as you have clearly been of the mind that this thread has been hijacked by ruminations on subject matter non-essential to the discussion of "Domestic Soccer 2013", why don't we take any "pissing contest" you might want to engage in with me regarding my moderating of this thread to private messaging. In that way, we'll maintain the sanctity of the thread that you seem to value so much.

Thank you.

Really any team that adopts the name of Cosmos needs to have Carl Sagan's rotting corpse as a mascot.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

What other solution do they have than a 10 game first season?

The only things they could have done was:

1) Go to a single season structure. Then you'd have 1 year of split season and then 1 year or regular, then going back to split season. Not ideal.

2) Play through the World Cup. Not a smart idea for a 2nd division league.

3) Play 2 even seasons but have a break in the first season. Again not ideal.

I'm sure most people would say don't go to the split season in the first place which is fine and I might agree with you, but that's impossible since we are here so what's the solution? Maybe there is one but I think this is the best you can ask for out of this situation.

Why is it not smart for the NASL to play through the World Cup? Little to none of their players will be taken and its not like Americans are making a mass exodus to go to Brazil so no one will go to their games. I dont get it. Seems like theyre making it complicated for no reason. As far as I know MLS is not taking a break and a lot more of their players will go to the World Cup.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

USWNT giving an extended tour of the woodshed to Mexico this evening.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Might have more to do with attention spans, not wanting to compete for attention.

Frankly, I rather like the format so far. Can't properly evaluate for a couple years but I expect it will work well.

Part of it might also be that the Group Stage match times will have some games in primetime. There will be match times of 6PM and 9PM/Eastern.

I agree with taking a break during the World Cup, especially one that shares time zones with the US.

I still think the split-season format is dumb.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Why is it not smart for the NASL to play through the World Cup? Little to none of their players will be taken and its not like Americans are making a mass exodus to go to Brazil so no one will go to their games. I dont get it. Seems like theyre making it complicated for no reason. As far as I know MLS is not taking a break and a lot more of their players will go to the World Cup.

Didn't MLS have a break in the season last World Cup? At least for the group stages? I get why the MLS would do it since they'll have a decent amount of players gone for that.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

What other solution do they have than a 10 game first season?

The only things they could have done was:

1) Go to a single season structure. Then you'd have 1 year of split season and then 1 year or regular, then going back to split season. Not ideal.

2) Play through the World Cup. Not a smart idea for a 2nd division league.

3) Play 2 even seasons but have a break in the first season. Again not ideal.

I'm sure most people would say don't go to the split season in the first place which is fine and I might agree with you, but that's impossible since we are here so what's the solution? Maybe there is one but I think this is the best you can ask for out of this situation.

Why not just break down the seasons 15 and 15? You could very well have a bottom-half team hosting the championship game because they started the season in good form.

Also, I think they should play through the World Cup but be smart in when they schedule games. Let's say the USA knocks off Argentina in the group stage. Wouldn't that propel more people to want to get out and support their hometown team? Don't schedule NASL matches over top of big matches but there's a way to build off of WC momentum.

6fQjS3M.png

Well the issue with a 15 and 15 seasons is you'll take a break after 10 games, come back and play 5 games to complete the first half. Then zero break to start the second season. Again I don't think I'm on board with the split season either, but its here we have to deal with it.

I just disagree with playing during the world cup. You're already a step below the MLS which is a step below all other leagues, which is a step below International, which really cranks it up for the World Cup. I think its better to let everyone fall in love with the World Cup and build that into something rather than hope they won't notice how much worse the soccer is at the NASL level vs. World Cup level.

I don't think you can schedule around the group stages. There are games nearly every single day, especially on the weekends. You can schedule around the US but what about European or Hispanic fans? This is a league that lives for the weekends. You'll end up with the random tuesday evening game which no matter what isn't ideal even for established leagues/teams in the US.

Its not ideal, but lets get through it and forget it ever happened. And hopefully your team (to CrashCarson15, OUR team) is the one that takes advantage of it.

Archived