Prediction: MLS will fold within 2 years

Notch Novelty

Yeah they do, I don't know the specifics but MLS does have a deal with ESPN/ABC in which MLS gets compensated. Good point by Paynomind with the youth soccer. So many kids are playing this game. Every week at work I see as many if not more kids in their soccer uniforms after a game than I do baseball/softball. The best part is that now they have a league to watch at home or go see. They now have stars to to call their own like Landon Donovan and Freddie Adu. And even when the WUSA was around the girls could look up to Brandi Chastain, Mia Hamm, etc.

Soccer will be there soon, just give it time.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good point, however, how many teams does Kraft own? I know he had the Quakes and Revs at one time.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

How? They have been in the league what 7, 8 years and never near the black.

That hasn't stopped the NHL... or many MLB teams... and I know that it's different when you're a more established North American sport like hockey or baseball, but there's the other side of the coin which says the MLS owners probably didn't expect to make money for the first while.

I'd really like to see the MLS survive. I'm not a big soccer fan, but diversity is good, and it's nice to have another sport (outside of hockey) that the U.S. competes in but doesn't completely dominate.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

There's no way the MLB teams are losing money. Seriously. But until they prove whether they are or aren't, we won't know.

I can't see soccer becoming big.

It translates horribly to television. I can't see America ever getting into soccer at any level more than they have now. And soccer at a kids level has been there for years. Pretty much all of my friends played it. I used to play it during recess at school everyday. But just like when my friends and me grew up, the interest faded. Besides, soccer doesn't have any appeal to Americans. Americans seem to like sports that have a. violence or b. were originated in America. Soccer has neither of those appeals.

The trend of more kids flocking to soccer is no different than kids going to basketball or football. In 1996, youth soccer still had 2.4 million more particpants than baseball, and over 5 million more than youth football -- and it didn't equate to the success of soccer in 1996, and it probably won't now. I think the rise in the number of soccer players is based on how the league's operate. They make it competitive for everyone by spreading the best players out amongst the teams, no blowouts = fun for everyone.

IUe6Hvh.png

There's no way the MLB teams are losing money. Seriously. But until they prove whether they are or aren't, we won't know.

There's no way the Expos are making money.

Nor the Blue Jays for that matter.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I would say 20 of the 30 teams are in the Black or near it.

MLS attendance has been up but still have those crowds of 4500 and 21000. ESPN/ABC will eventually drop them and will smell the doom for the league.

The talent has gotten better but it will be too little too late.

I would say 20 of the 30 teams are in the Black or near it.

MLS attendance has been up but still have those crowds of 4500 and 21000. ESPN/ABC will eventually drop them and will smell the doom for the league.

The talent has gotten better but it will be too little too late.

Do you actually think the MLS will fail, or are you just hoping the league will fail. I see this league getting bigger and bigger with each passing year. Attendence as well as interest in the sport is improving. Now if only the MISL had this going for them...things aren't looking that good. Well, at least the attendence is up a little.

peshtigobloglogocc.jpg twittericonkingslut.gif

Guys, it's a prediction and fact.

The league hasn't made money thus is failing. I would call that a fact.

Plus, I looked at the attendance. Fact

Prediction, It's called opinion and free speech. He's doing it again.

Stiring the pot?

Before this becomes something more than MLS discussion don't do it again Roger or anyone else and start a personal battle. That is something I don't want.

What I don't get, Andrew, is why you say a point, have everybody show you that in fact the league is building several stadiums, has a good youth movement going, has one of the better soccer prospects there is, and how attendence is actually going up, and you just repeat the same point like nothing happened.

If there is an impact from MLS it is that US soccer as a whole has been improving. Making it to the quarter-finals is no small feat. Sure the MLS is losing money, but I think the rewards are worth the costs.

I saw, I came, I left.

Youth soccer has def picked up, probably due to less contact and also with a surprise skate boarding is one of the most popular sports in the US.

My question to all is it little too late for league? I mean one day owner could say it's failing and is still failing. XFL for example knew they wouldn't make money but he lost so much he folded it.

Rochester should def be added to the mix if the league continues to play. Rather than putting teams into markets that don't have soccer.

For attendance figures - http://www.kenn.com/soccer/mls_attendance.html

JQK - :notworthy:

Archived