Prediction: MLS will fold within 2 years

Notch Novelty

How can league playing in mostly football stadiums, not turning a profit, and has no ratings continue to survive?

Columbus has thee only soccer only stadium and we're promised many soccer only stadiums. Los Angeles or is it Dallas is getting a stadium.

I believe within next 2 years, the MLS will fold. Columbus, DC, and possible another attendance supported team will drop down to the A-League.

Adu, leaving for Europe will only hurt the league since they arn't playing him and is only hurting him.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Los Angeles already has the soccer stadium...the Home Depot Center. Dallas is getting one in the next few years. New England doesn't need one...Robert Kraft owns them and the Patriots, and he is more than happy with the turnout and support the Revolution have received.

As far as Adu...he's only 14! He's not the best player on the team, so he's not getting that much playing time. YET. He may be a full-game player by the end of the season. The anticipation will build, more fans will show up (though from what I hear, D.C. already has strong fan support) and watch on TV.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Giants Stadium has been turning out healthy crowds for Metrostars games. And although held up in goverment bull:censored:, The Metrostars will eventually construct a Home Depot Center-type stadium in Harrison, NJ, which will undoubtedly help them out.

I don't think MLS is going anywhere.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

"Technically, RFK is a soccer-only stadium as nothing else goes on there but rock concerts."

That would change if the Montreal Expos move to Washington, and DC United may be forced to move to FedEx Field in Landover, MD next year or play at Howard University in Washington.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

I thought I read that Dallas moved out of the Cotton Bowl a couple years ago.

snappers_sig.gif

Dubya's thoughts on "terrorist" nations: "They never stop thinking of new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

San Jose is trying to get a soccer only stadium built across the street from Spartan Stadium. Their crowds have been pretty good, especially early on with the Sharks playoff run. From about 17,000-21,000 is not too shabby.

Give MLS credit though, nine seasons, decent crowds and has done what it can to get soccer mainstream in the United States. From a miracle run in the 1994 World Cup with the help of MLS evolving the USA squad into a sudden contender for the World Cup trophy.

I don't think they'll give up within a few years. Besides, weren't they talking about expansion?

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Its all doom and gloom recently round here isn't it!

Hmm, well MLS, I predict, will survive. It doesn't seem to be trying to compete at the moment with the NFL or MLB or any other major league. Thats the key, its building up slowly, knowing its place in the market.

As for Adu he is literally still a kid. You can't expect him to be strong enough, big enough to compete just now. Whether he does turn into a great player is another point. Soccer is littered with talented kids who don't turn into the real deal.

I think if MLS is gonna thrive, I think it needs an expansion. Don't know where exactly, but it needs some more teams if it is gonna grow IMO.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

If you acctually follow Major League Soccer you can see that it is acctually on the rise. It is fairly good soccer and every team has hardcore supporters. I suggest that everyone watch at least one game, and you'll see MLS is here to stay.

1zqy8ok.gif

Call me crazy -- but if there's going to be a "5th major league" any time soon, I can't see it being soccer.

I think next in line may very well be the NLL (National Lacrosse League). League revenue is up and to be honest, I can't see Americans taking to soccer still. The games are too low scoring for the amount of time they play to care about the MLS. League revenue has gone up from $4 million in 2000 to $25 million this past season.

The games are:

A. High Scoring (22 goals a game combined)

B. Cheap (Average ticket price is $20)

Plus if the NHL goes on strike, the NLL could see a boom in some hockey cities (San Jose, Colorado, etc.)

The Colorado Mammoth already sell out every game.

IUe6Hvh.png

I think in about 5 to 10 years the MLS will be another major sport. They already have television contracts. Here is the key, though: the younger generation. the kids who are now 5 - 10 years old have been playing soccer. Soccer seems to be a real hit with these younger kids. A lot of people my age (20) and older, didn't grow up playing soccer. This new generation seems to be much more fascinated with soccer than I was. They are the key.

I think the other thing is that a lot of immigration into the US is from Latin America were soccer is very strongly supported. I think they hold the key for the MLS and I think the MLS realise that to. I am really impressed with how the MLS has run itself, they haven't over stretched, just kept to a sound development program and shown how to build up a sport. They really ahve learnt the lessons from the old NASL.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Totally agree with Gravito.

This is a sport millions and millions of kids play. My generation played it just enough to take our kids to go see it. All of a sudden, BAM, a huge spectator sport.

The raw numbers say it all. More kids play soccer in America than football, basketball, hockey, and lacrosse combined. Kids play soccer in every region of the country. Kids play soccer as early as 3, and you can play for yoru whole life in rec leagues, in semi pro, and there are all kinds of pro leagues.

Lacrosse will always be a decent sport, but a northern novelty. Soccer will pull a FOX, and be the 4th major, maybe even outpulling hockey (ABC) some weeks, but will never be respected by the stick-in-the-mud folks who didnt grow up playing it. As soon as all those old fogies die off, the US sports climate will have 4 major sports. And soccer will be one of them.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I don't see the NLL being a major league. But the league can grow to the point where players can make a living from only playing, rahter than take a second job. The league is lacking franchises in major markets. If they can have teams in LA, NY, Chicago, Detroit and these teams are stable, then there is hope for the league to be around a long time.

I saw, I came, I left.

* The Columbus Crew and Los Angeles Galaxy both play in soccer-specific stadiums.

* The Dallas Burn and Chicago Fire will both be moving into soccer-specific facilities within the next two seasons. Dallas sets up shop in a 20,000-seat stadium in suburban Frisco, Texas next season. Chicago moves into a 20,000 to 25,000-seat stadium in suburban Bridgeview, Illinois in time for the 2006 season.

* The Colorado Rapids are currently cooperating with HOK Sports on the design of a 20,000-seat soccer-specific stadium for the Denver area, that would open in time for the 2007 season.

* The New York - New Jersey MetroStars are in the process of finalizing their 25,000-seat soccer-specific stadium plans in Harrison, New Jersey, hopefully in time for a 2007 opening.

* The San Jose Earthquakes are just beginning the process of putting together plans for a soccer-specific stadium in their market.

* The New England Revolution and Kansas City Wizards seem content with their current arrangement of sharing their facilities with primary-tenant NFL franchises owned and operated by the same parent organization. DC United seems equally happy with their sole tenancy at RFK Stadium. Barring the Kraft family selling the team, the Revolution seem unlikely to ever pursue a soccer-specific stadium. The Kansas City Wizards and DC United have not closed the door on someday building such facilities in their respective markets.

* The Chivas USA expansion team will play in a soccer-specific facility whether they eventually wind up in Los Angeles or Chicago. In Los Angeles, they would share Home Depot Center with the Galaxy; in Chicago, they would share the new Bridgeview stadium with the Fire.

* Several other cities considered candidates for MLS expansion would play their games in stadiums designed and built with soccer teams envisioned as the primary tenant. Rochester, New York's Raging Rhinos of the A-League move into the soccer-specific, 20,000-seat PaeTec Park next season. The facility, which has been constructed so as to be easily enlarged to a capacity of 28,000 to 32,000, was built with an eye towards landing an MLS expansion team. Both Oklahoma City and Tulsa, Oklahoma hope to land an MLS expansion team through the renovation or construction of soccer-specific stadiums. The University of Central Oklahoma in Edmonds (a suburb of Oklahoma City) has plans to renovate their existing on-campus stadium into a three-tiered, soccer-specific facility with 16,000 permanent seats and 7,000 retractable bleacher seats. Tulsa's plans revolve around the construction of a brand new 18,000 to 20,000-seat soccer-specific facility. Toronto, Ontario is in the process of finalizing plans for a 30,000-seat stadium that would be built with the Canadian Soccer Association as the driving force behind the project. While the CSA is hoping to use the stadium as the centerpiece in their bids for landing FIFA's 2007 Under-20 Men's Soccer Championships and 2011 Women's World Cup Championships, they have aslo said that the stadium would be used for other soccer events, including a potential MLS expansion bid.

Bottom line: Major League Soccer isn't yet on par with the "Big Four" professional sports in North America, but it has stabilized and is poised to grow.

Brian in Boston

Archived