Houston Aeros to be renamed Iowa Wild

habsfan1

I hope that teams don't start doing this across the board, but I do understand why certain teams are doing it. As noted, there seems to be a strong connection between northern Iowa and Minnesota as far as sports go. Using the same name strengthens and reinforces the brand in that area, I guess.

I remember hearing Lou Lamoriello talk about how the Devils farm teams were all going to be renamed the 'Devils', and would be using a similar logo. He talked about how kids coming up through the system wouldn't be "Titans" or "River Rats", but they would be "Devils" from day one. I understand and like that mentality, and it suits certain teams better than others, the Devils being one of them. If anyone is going to try to emulate the New Jersey formula, I can see Minnesota pulling it off.

Agreed. Branding your affiliates as the parent NHL club works best when they share market territory. The Providence/Boston Bruins connection is the gold standard (irresistable pun). The NHL Devils sank their ECHL Trenton franchise by branding them the Devils in the Flyers' market.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wild Iowa?

Are their games going to be narrated by Marty Stouffer?

Ugh. I absolutely hate it when teams do that kind of stuff. It's as if they're saying: "We're not going to bother getting creative with the logo, but you know what we're getting at - so just pretend to read it in reverse."

If they insist on going that route, why not make the Wild font say "Iowa" and have wild be on the tail? People who are familiar with the team are going to be able to read it right, but if you're wearing gear with that logo, most people that see it are going to read "Wild Iowa" and will probably think it's some sort of TV show.

Branding your affiliates as the parent NHL club works best when they share market territory. The Providence/Boston Bruins connection is the gold standard (irresistable pun).

Except that, insofar as branding goes, the situation in the Ocean State's capital city would be improved immeasurably if the AHL franchise in the market were dubbed the Providence Reds or Rhode Island Reds. Providence Bruins is okay, but it pales in comparison to the historic Reds identity.

As for the oft-used P-Bruins nickname... well, that's just miserable.

Again with the phantom yoke...

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I see nothing but Reno when I look at that logo. Wish I knew why.

I think its the serifs. I can see where you're coming from, I just don't get that feel. Maybe if it were in Niners colours and called the 'Saloons' or something, but as it is I just think "vintage hockey with a horrible name."

Remember, though, that the Devils are awful when it comes to running their minor-league affiliates. I'd use them as a template for success just as I'd use Calgary.

Trenton Devils just folded, lol

"Wild" is too short for a tailed script. It looks silly, the same way the Mets' script did when it briefly grew a tail in '93.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's even worse than "Mets", because you have the narrow "i" and "l". It might have fared a little better with "Iowa" up top to widen things a bit, but either way the whole concept still blows mightily.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived