Neutraface Font...it's EVERYWHERE!

rmackman

I know for awhile there was a thread on this site about pointing out the ubiquitous usage of Comic Sans font. I wanted to see if anyone has noticed that lately Neutraface or Neutra Text has started popping up everywhere as well. I notice it a lot here in Chicago. Anyone else feel the same way?

NeutraFont_zps7aff7ae0.png

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I was going to make this thread last week, with the slightly more provocative title "God Damn It Neutraface You Make My Dick So Hard."

Yeah, it's a great font, I love geometric/Art Deco stuff, but it's getting extremely overexposed. It's basically on the billboards for every condo highrise being slapped up in the city, connoting as it does a certain mainstream gentility that appeals to people who buy downtown cinderblock condos.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I was going to make this thread last week, with the slightly more provocative title "God Damn It Neutraface You Make My Dick So Hard."

I am quite thankful that this did not occur.

Oh...and before anyone points it out, yes the years in my sig are Neutraface. I've been using that for quite awhile, which is part of the reason I'm surprised it's become so ubiquitous.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Neutraface is a beautiful font. Wendy's was using it for a while, but I believe they switched to Verlag, which has many similar characters. Neutraface is more Art-Deco inspired than Verlag.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Neutraface itself was only created ten years ago, so it was something else in that vein.

There's a Neutraface Slab out there that vastly improves on crappy old Rockwell Black. Works well at 12 pt book, too!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

This is the first thing that came to mind for me.

MKEWebLogo.jpg

FWIW, MKE Brewing has some great designers behind their brand... their beer's pretty good too.

Nice, it looks kind of 70's/80's retro. I've seen it around a couple of places that I can think of now that I see it, but I don't think it's a font suited to everything. Kind of like Agency which I'm now seeing EVERYWHERE, and it works in most places but not everywhere. Then again I'm just wondering if it's my brain telling me "oh not agency again!" and convincing myself that its a bad choice just because it's getting repetitive in my estimation.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

If you look at old footage of Soldier Field when it had turf, I am pretty sure that style font was used in the end zones to spell "Chicago"

I thought it looked more like Blue Highway (another font often associated with Chicago, not to mention the first Obama campaign) myself.

CCSLC signature.png

Blame Mies and his students for how big it is in Chicago land. It is on a ton of buildings by SOM, Shipperoit, and the rest of the successor firms.

Well...that lends itself to why I think it's everywhere. I live in Chicago.

spacer.png

CNNSI is using it for their story covers now:

130612111707-world-cup-t1-wide.jpg

spacer.png

I think the heavy use of Neutraface isn't as disturbing as say comic sans or copperplate because it really is beautiful AND versatile. And it's a bit unassuming, too.

Yes we recognize it, but it doesn't overpower it's subject matter. If I read something in Comic Sans, the first thing I notice is that it's written in comic sans. If I read something in Neutraface, I read the content, and then probably think it looks nice, and then maybe identify the font.

And as mentioned, yes, Neutraface Slab or whatever the technical title is also a fantastic font. It's Rockwell without the awkward angles and bolding and Archer without the rounded edges (not that those aren't perfectly appropriate in some uses—Archer is a great font, too).

I as well was going to create a thread about this too. I was just recently interning at Madison Square Garden who runs the Rockettes. I got to see NeutraText everyday for hours working on their designs. After this I got to see typeface everywhere such as the ones mentioned in the first post and also some I have listed below:

26374.jpg

I know the above text does seem modified but looks like it was originally NeutraText

IMG_2031_zps9210dbcd.jpg

Also another example: I was walking by Banana Republic at my local mall and saw the popular typeface being used here too.

IMG_2163_zps67188e68.jpg

Lastly I noticed Crest is even using NeutraText in its products. "Pro Health"

I feel like out of all the companies using this, The Rockettes makes the most sense using this typeface due to the Art Deco feel in the type and the Rockettes perform in the Art Deco styled Radio City.

Archived