How to pick a team to follow

loneranger158

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE

For Premier League I'm choosing between Arsenal, Aston Villa, Chelsea, Liverpool, ManU, Tottenham, and West Ham. This was just based off reading the 2012-2013 Media Guide which shows logos and jerseys. Hope to have a team by opening day. what better year to start following BPL with games now airing on NBCSN as well?

Parsons is my dude.

I just finished "Fever Pitch" (which is excellent), so naturally I'm all about English soccer. I've picked a team too:

nottingham_forest_football_club_logo_machine_embroidery_design.jpg

That's a pretty boss logo and the team has some championship history, although more than 30 years past. Plus, given that they're in the Championship league, I have at least a year (or more, or less if I stop caring) to root for them to make EPL, which is a far more attainable goal that winning any major titles.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I just did something similar to this last week. I always knew my great-grandparents came here from Finland, but never really knew where until my mom found some papers and now I can trace my roots back to a family of reindeer herders in 1707. So, since I never had a favorite SM-Liiga team before, I decided to now root for Oulu Karpat because they're closest to the old "home town"...

I casually follow Hajduk Split because my great-grandparents came over from a town outside of Split. Cool stuff.

I just finished "Fever Pitch" (which is excellent), so naturally I'm all about English soccer. I've picked a team too:

nottingham_forest_football_club_logo_machine_embroidery_design.jpg

That's a pretty boss logo and the team has some championship history, although more than 30 years past. Plus, given that they're in the Championship league, I have at least a year (or more, or less if I stop caring) to root for them to make EPL, which is a far more attainable goal that winning any major titles.

Enjoy Eric Lichaj! Though it should be noted that if it weren't for a certain red-haired former Villa manager taking over Forest for a couple of months that the City Ground would likely be playing Premiership football this year.

6fQjS3M.png

The Forest crest is a lovely bit of work, and it still looks fresh even though it's very nearly 40 years since it was introduced. That said, it does put me in mind a little of Pacific nuclear tests.

The key isn't the first months of fandom. It's sticking with the team in the long run and making an emotional bond. Short term stuff like a favourite player on their squad is fine as long as that leads to a bond that will outlast that player signing for a local rival. Get to know the history and culture of the club as well.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

My adoption of Arsenal in Barclays Premier League was basically a matter of timing: I started following the Premiership around the time I first met my sister's Gooner in-laws - which also happened to be just before the club moved from Highbury into Emirates Stadium. I figured it was a perfect time to join in as the club was starting a new chapter of its history. (Little did I know how frustrating that chapter would turn out to be.)

CCSLC signature.png

UPDATE

For Premier League I'm choosing between Arsenal, Aston Villa, Chelsea, Liverpool, ManU, Tottenham, and West Ham. This was just based off reading the 2012-2013 Media Guide which shows logos and jerseys. Hope to have a team by opening day. what better year to start following BPL with games now airing on NBCSN as well?

You don't wanna pick the bubble-blowing identity stealers from East London, do you? :P

6fQjS3M.png

The key isn't the first months of fandom. It's sticking with the team in the long run and making an emotional bond. Short term stuff like a favourite player on their squad is fine as long as that leads to a bond that will outlast that player signing for a local rival. Get to know the history and culture of the club as well.

Truth spoken.

Don't root for the Yankees, Red Sox, Patriots, Steelers, Cowboys, Lakers or Heat.

Anyone else is fine.

I'm screwed...

I might drop the Yankees as my favorite MLB team, but I don't want to root for Cardinals/Cubs. I picked the Clippers because the Lakers were constantly winning championships, so I wanted to pick the rival. For the Ducks, well....maybe it's due to the Mighty Ducks name. Pure awesomeness.

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

Archived