NFL Practice Uniforms

4_tattoos

Is there some reason NFL teams don't wear plain generic uniforms in practice? Pretty much every team wears a set of game pants in practice. The jersey situation is a little different, since most teams have "simpler" versions of their game jerseys in practice. Call me weird if you must, but IMHO your game uniforms should never be seen/worn in practice. Don't tell me Nike and/or the NFL teams are too cheap to pony up for some plain white practice pants. Maybe it's just me.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Practice? We're talking bout PRACTICE?

But really- why look bad in practice? if you can do nice looking game pants, why have plain white ones? It's not that the teams are too cheap to buy white pants, its that they don't want white pants because they are CHEAP

Is there some reason NFL teams don't wear plain generic uniforms in practice? Pretty much every team wears a set of game pants in practice. The jersey situation is a little different, since most teams have "simpler" versions of their game jerseys in practice. Call me weird if you must, but IMHO your game uniforms should never be seen/worn in practice. Don't tell me Nike and/or the NFL teams are too cheap to pony up for some plain white practice pants. Maybe it's just me.

It's just you.

I spent three years covering the 49ers and the players emphasized that the best way to practice is to simulate as many situations similar to the game -- and that includes the equipment and uniforms they wear. It just makes sense that way.

Jim harbaugh emphasized in terms of jerseys that the practice jersey materials aren't the same and don't stretch as well, could lead to injuries. That's why the 49ers always wear their game-time equipment as often as possible

Go A's!

That, and i believe players use practice to break in their game pants.

Part of the reason why you see teams wear game pants in practice, they are softening the fabrics and making them pliable and comfortable.

You can't convince me that they wear game pants during practice to break them in. Getting stains out of football pants is too hard to do everyday. I can see how someone might want to try out their pants once, but I wouldn't let them wear game pants to practice. No sir,

The reason you wear old game pants is so you don't have to buy new practice pants. And most teams avoid white practice pants because of stains.

That, and i believe players use practice to break in their game pants.

Part of the reason why you see teams wear game pants in practice, they are softening the fabrics and making them pliable and comfortable.

You can't convince me that they wear game pants during practice to break them in. Getting stains out of football pants is too hard to do everyday. I can see how someone might want to try out their pants once, but I wouldn't let them wear game pants to practice. No sir,

The reason you wear old game pants is so you don't have to buy new practice pants. And most teams avoid white practice pants because of stains.

Grass stains aren't that common since teams don't actually tackle on every single play in practice. And realistically, there aren't many practices teams have in a week that require pants.

Following Sunday, the normal NFL practice schedule:

Monday: Film review. If it's any kind of practice, it's without pads, meaning they're in shirt and shorts.

Tuesday: Same as Monday if they had Monday off.

Wednesday: First real practice of the week, likely still in shirts and shorts. If they do have a padded practice, it's light and no tackling (so minimal stains if any). That comes after game film review and meetings

Thursday: running through more plays wearing game pants. Stains here.

Friday: Load is lightened up, usually a walk-through with shirts and shorts. But if they do wear pants, it's no contact. No stains. Following practice, teams travel.

Saturday: If the team is home for the week, this is their walk-through

So realistically in a week, there are only two days where game pants are likely used for a practice, with likely one of them being full contact. So if grass stains are your concern, it's really just one wash to get out stains the entire week. The rest could just be regular washes.

So yes, players wear equipment and uniform during practice to break them in and simulate game situations. Grass stains to white pants? Not as real of an issue as you may think.

Does that convince you?

** And seriously, you don't think NFL team can afford top of the line detergent?

Go A's!

Grass stains aren't that common since teams don't actually tackle on every single play in practice. And realistically, there aren't many practices teams have in a week that require pants.

Monday: Film review. If it's any kind of practice, it's without pads, meaning they're in shirt and shorts.

Wednesday: First real practice of the week, likely still in shirts and shorts. If they do have a padded practice, it's light and no tackling (so minimal stains if any). That comes after game film review and meetings

Friday: Load is lightened up, usually a walk-through with shirts and shorts. But if they do wear pants, it's no contact. No stains. Following practice, teams travel.

So realistically in a week, there are only two days where game pants are likely used for a practice, with likely one of them being full contact. So if grass stains are your concern, it's really just one wash to get out stains the entire week. The rest could just be regular washes.

So yes, players wear equipment and uniform during practice to break them in and simulate game situations. Grass stains to white pants? Not as real of an issue as you may think.

Does that convince you?

** And seriously, you don't think NFL team can afford top of the line detergent?

You aren't telling me anything I don't already know about the practice schedule. But you would be surprised at how many stains get on pants, tackle practice or not. I have a little experience washing Nike football pants, and it's tougher than you think. Stains have to be treated, and that takes time and effort. Sometimes it takes more than one wash. For some pants, it might take four or five. And if someone's pants aren't clean after five washes, I'm just giving them a new pair of pants.

Pants are not cleats; they don't need to be broken in.

Does that convince you?

You aren't telling me anything I don't already know about the practice schedule. But you would be surprised at how many stains get on pants, tackle practice or not. I have a little experience washing Nike football pants, and it's tougher than you think. Stains have to be treated, and that takes time and effort. Sometimes it takes more than one wash. For some pants, it might take four or five. And if someone's pants aren't clean after five washes, I'm just giving them a new pair of pants.

Pants are not cleats; they don't need to be broken in.

I'm not comparing pants to cleats.

I covered the 49ers for three years, so I am telling you exactly what I see. Pants aren't worn that often and stains don't happen as often as you think. And I have not seen that many stains -- at least not visible stains.

It's not like each player is issued one pair of pants for the entire year that they have to be washed for daily use. Each player has more than one pair and they probably wear the game ones once a week, the rest are their other pair

Go A's!

It's not like each player is issued one pair of pants for the entire year that they have to be washed for daily use. Each player has more than one pair and they probably wear the game ones once a week, the rest are their other pair

Yep. They wear them for games. That's it. You want to simulate the feel of game pants during practice? You wear old game pants. But you don't wear your current game pants to practice.

Yep. They wear them for games. That's it. You want to simulate the feel of game pants during practice? You wear old game pants. But you don't wear your current game pants to practice.

You know I meant once a practice week.

If you are so sure, then when teams wear throwbacks for a game, how come we see them wear their throwback game pants in practice and not their regular ones? That's proof that game pants have been worn during practice, unless they have multiple ones. But what's the point if they can just use their practice pants?

It happens. How often they're worn can be debated, but game pants have been worn during practice.

VikingsTrainingCamp_630x420.jpg

Go A's!

If you are so sure, then when teams wear throwbacks for a game, how come we see them wear their throwback game pants in practice and not their regular ones? That's proof that game pants have been worn during practice, unless they have multiple ones. But what's the point if they can just use their practice pants?

It happens. How often they're worn can be debated, but game pants have been worn during practice.

I'd like to take this just a step further...

20091009__20091010_C12_SP10PBXBROUNIFORM~p1.JPGorton_gc_091009.jpg

Like I said. I covered the 49ers for three years, I've watched their practices. I know what I've seen.

There might be a break in factor but you are not going to wear current season pants during contact practices or pants. Why? Wear and tear and laundering. Since practice time > game time the pants and jerseys get thrashed and you don't want to constantly sending them to the tailor for repair and needing them back overnight. Also the heavy laundering of said pants will also add wear and tear and likely fade out the colors. You can also bet that the league doesn't want their product looking rag-tag on sundays in a bunch of patched up uniforms. Also I'm willing to bet that the equipment managers don't want to be doing a boatload of laundry in addition to gathering up a truckload of equipment that has to be loaded and unloaded within a very tight window each week.

If the game day/current season pants are being worn in practice that has to be the exception to the rule not the norm. Old game pants are perfect for practice they are high quality, can take a beating and aesthetics don't matter.

I'd like to take this just a step further...

20091009__20091010_C12_SP10PBXBROUNIFORM~p1.JPGorton_gc_091009.jpg

I'm willing to bet that in the case of this picture the Broncos wore those clownsuits in practice not to "break" them in so much as they were trying to get used to playing in said clownsuits. They were probably trying to ease the transition of being a navy blue and orange team and then one day having to play as a crazy yellow and brown team.

Georgetown-UNC national championship game. Georgetown's guard gives the ball to James Worthy on the last possession because he was wearing white. Georgetown had practiced in white the whole week leading up to the final four.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I think it would be interesting if teams were to have pre season jerseys(use practice jerseys) during those games similar to the what the NBA does in summer league

Huge difference. Nobody goes to the NBA summer league games (yes, that's called hyperbole). NFL Pre-Season games (how dare anyone call them Exhibition) are meant to invoke the real thing, thus the ticket prices and the real uniforms.

Speaking of which, if anyone would like to buy 4 pre-season tickets to the Packers-Cardinals on Friday August 9, PM me.

It's where I sit.

Huge difference. Nobody goes to the NBA summer league games (yes, that's called hyperbole). NFL Pre-Season games (how dare anyone call them Exhibition) are meant to invoke the real thing, thus the ticket prices and the real uniforms.

Good point. I guess i was thinking with the amount of player cuts it would be easier for teams to have a more simple uniform.

I can't speak for every team, but the vast majority use previous years' game pants for practice. The current year's pants only come out for games. Any "breaking in" is done during preseason games, which is why you often see a team wear their alternate uniforms at least once in the preseason.

Helmets are a little different, and how they are handled is different team to team. Most teams have a practice helmet and a game helmet, with the practice helmets being used throughout camp, including preseason games. Some teams use the same same helmets for games and practice, since contact in practice is minimal.

For alternate helmets, teams will typically break them in during practice the week before the game.

Archived