Pirates and phillies wear 1970's throwbacks

Rampart66

The Phillies wore the big numbers before they put names on the back, which I believe was 1972.  My gripe with the Pirates (outside of the general uniform concept) is where are the yellow helmets with black bills?  There are two slight inaccuracies with the Phils' uni.  There should be no white outline on the numbers and the "baseball seam" design inside the "P" should not be there.  The center of the "P" was empty until 1984.

"The Phillies wore the big numbers before they put names on the back, which I believe was 1972."

Actually, the Phillies started putting names on the back in 1976, the first year they went to the NLCS.  The huge numbers are very authentic looking from their early 70s jerseys.

There should be no white outline on the numbers and the "baseball seam" design inside the "P" should not be there.  The center of the "P" was empty until 1984.

Actually, the "baseball seam" design was present inside the P on the uniforms from 1970 to 1972. (The Phillies started wearing those uniforms during their final year at Connie Mack Stadium.)

However, the team was forced to remove the seam design because MLB officials said the logo on the uniform violated the rules.

[Rule 1.11(e) No part of the uniform shall include a pattern that imitates or suggests the shape of a baseball.]

Why they were allowed to resume using the "baseball seam" design in 1984 is a mystery to me.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

As for the Pirates being in all-yellow today, I wonder if they are just doing the all-yellow bit, or are they going the whole route with the mix-and-match colors?

(And anyway, the Phillies were in 1971-style unis to commemorate the first year of Veterans Stadium. Why were the Pirates in 1977 uniforms?)

CK3ZP8E.jpg

take this as you will, but seeing the uniforms on sportscenter highlights, the pirates' banana suits...well, i don't hate em as much as i thought i would.  then again, i didn't have to grow up with em.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Actually, the "baseball seam" design was present inside the P on the uniforms from 1970 to 1972. (The Phillies started wearing those uniforms during their final year at Connie Mack Stadium.)

I was just through Okkonen's book, and it appears the caps and home jerseys went from a red color to a more maroon color in 1973.   That was also the same year they started wearing those powder blue road unis.

Archived