CFL exppansion

Pat

heard this on tsn or something. they said theyre meeting in mocton, to sicuss the 10th team in mocton, not halifaz or quebec.........

weird

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

It may sound good in some ways--but not very realistic...

Still if it did happen it probably wouldn't be by next year, and probabaly not even the year after that--still if it does happen I'd support evening up the divisions...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Come on back to Sacramento! :P

I see your smiley--were you one of the few that supported the Gold Miners?

Or were you too young then?

Anyway--since the Gold Miners became the Texans--it's unlikely...

The US team with the most support was Baltimore---even before they won the Grey Cup...(Which was the last game they played)

The CFL still has a hardcore group of fans in the Baltimore area, many of whom still make a trek to the Grey Cup each year--they're hooked on Canadian football...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

As a Stamps and CFL fan who is from the states, I'vre gotta say that expansion into the Maritimes is long over due. I remember a few years back about the possibility of expansion into Halifax. Sadly, nothing happened. Going into Mocton would be a good idea.

dodgers-1.png

I think a team would do better, financially, in Syracuse than Halifax, Moncton, or Quebec.

Yes, but....

*Pulls out map*

See, Syracuse is here *Points to North East United States* and Quebec, Moncton, and Nova Scotia are all here *Points to Eastern Canada* :D

All joking aside, I think that an American team would have too much of an advantage in revenue, etc. Also, it would be the conclusion of a CFL dream to have 10 Canadian teams, instead of reminding the league of the nightmare that was US expansion.

I think a team would do better, financially, in Syracuse than Halifax, Moncton, or Quebec.

I can't speak for Moncton, Halifax or Quebec, but there's absolutely nothing to do in Syracuse and the city itself has very little going for it right now. If nothing else, as Robert Kelly so eloquently put it, it's the only city "where you can get mugged and attacked by a bear in the same day." Maybe the CFL could succeed, especially because it will, more or less, have the area's sports fans' undivided attention from the end of SU Lacrosse to the beginning of SU Football.

However, I'm not convinced it's a viable professional-level sports market, as the economy is in the crapper for the forseeable future and they don't really have a place to play (unless they could fit into the Carrier Dome and pay my school lots of money to play there so my @#$%! tuition goes down). I sincerely doubt the city of Syracuse or one of the surrounding suburbs could pull together the funds for a CFL-capacity stadium, especially with the Orange unlikely to chip in and leave their nice, warm, Dome.

The fanbase can be fickle...they generally support the Orange basketball and lacrosse teams well, but tend to tune out the football team when things aren't going so well, like they are, say, now. And, because of the flailing economy, they don't exactly have much diposable income to spend on a new team in a league that isn't enormously popular in the area to begin with.

I think the CFL could be successful in the US in the right market...I don't know if Syracuse is the right fit.

I wouldn't call the US expansion a nightmare (although the 95 Grey Cup could qualify as one)

It was a failure overall, but did have some positive impact...

1-While it was still not stable financially, without hte US teams the CFL would have been in worse shape.

2-While minimal overall, it did expand the fan base--especially in the Baltimore area.

3-It gave us some real neat uniforms (and some real duds--see Pirates and Posse)

Okay--#3 is not completely serious...

Well, since they are talking about Moncton, how about a few nicknames..

The Moncton Monks

The Moncton Tides

The Moncton Acadians

The Moncton Clan

The Moncton River Rats :flagcanada:

BRING BASEBALL BACK TO MONTREAL!!!!

MON AMOURS SIEMPRE!!

Better then Halifax, we'd get one of those stupid ocean names...Clippers, Schooners, some fish name, ick.

I'd much prefer a CFL team in Halifax as opposed to Moncton, and not just because I have a Halifax Schooners concept that might have a hope in the world of getting used.

However if there's a better chance of it succeeding in Moncton, then so be it.

Expanding into the maritimes and then failing would be a big blow to the great momentum the league is building, so I'm satisfied to wait a few more years for the East to expand to 5 teams if that's what it takes to get a sound business plan in place.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Better then Halifax, we'd get one of those stupid ocean names...Clippers, Schooners, some fish name, ick.

I'd much prefer a CFL team in Halifax as opposed to Moncton, and not just because I have a Halifax Schooners concept that might have a hope in the world of getting used.

However if there's a better chance of it succeeding in Moncton, then so be it.

Expanding into the maritimes and then failing would be a big blow to the great momentum the league is building, so I'm satisfied to wait a few more years for the East to expand to 5 teams if that's what it takes to get a sound business plan in place.

I'm not saying I wouldn't want a team in Halifax by any means. I'm just sick of the stupid names they give our teams. Hell, they make Mooseheads look good.

Come on back to Sacramento!  :P

I see your smiley--were you one of the few that supported the Gold Miners?

Or were you too young then?

Anyway--since the Gold Miners became the Texans--it's unlikely...

The US team with the most support was Baltimore---even before they won the Grey Cup...(Which was the last game they played)

The CFL still has a hardcore group of fans in the Baltimore area, many of whom still make a trek to the Grey Cup each year--they're hooked on Canadian football...

Yeah I was a supporter of your Sacramento Gold Miners. Since I followed the WLAF's Sacramento Surge, I loved it when most of the players and the head coach jumped to the CFL team. I love the different rule changes and everything the CFL offers!

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Well, since they are talking about Moncton, how about a few nicknames..

To be completely honest, I don't think that they'll go with Moncton as the place-name... or New Brunswick, for that matter.

They're going to want to position the franchise as representing all of the Maritimes, so they'll probably go with a regional place-name. This would be in keeping with precedent. The CFL franchise that was "conditionally" granted to the Maritimes in 1981 was to have been based in Halifax, but was named the Atlantic Schooners.

I suspect that Atlantic, Maritime or Maritimes would be used as a place-name this time as well.

Just as an aside, I loved the logo that was designed for the original Atlantic Schooners. You can find a very nice rendering of the logo at:

http://www.fh2i.com/

It's obviously located in the CFL section of the website.

Please note that the helmet shown is simply the site administrator's idea for what the team's helmets might have looked like. I think that the team would have opted to use simply the stylized "A" as their helmet logo.

Brian in Boston

Actually, I think it was a great logo. As a logo, it looks very modern now; tough to believe it was introduced in 1981.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived