Sharks use old jersey Vs Flames at young stars classic

Jsto

these tourneys are effectively extended training camp, this isn't exactly unusual.

I think his point was to bring up that SJ is still wearing their old jerseys

I realized that, but was merely stating that it's training camp and its not unusual for teams to wear old gear/uniforms

This is interesting from someone who is not huge on hockey but likes the concept of prospects.

Are these essentially the top minor league prospects each team has, or can they play guys with NHL experience?

56 and 47 strike me as assigned training camp numbers for guys likely destined for the minors. Is that true or do these guys wear the numbers they had in the minors (or aspire to wear in the NHL)? In baseball's Arizona Fall League, for example, guys will often take 'normal' numbers.

This is interesting from someone who is not huge on hockey but likes the concept of prospects.

Are these essentially the top minor league prospects each team has, or can they play guys with NHL experience?

56 and 47 strike me as assigned training camp numbers for guys likely destined for the minors. Is that true or do these guys wear the numbers they had in the minors (or aspire to wear in the NHL)? In baseball's Arizona Fall League, for example, guys will often take 'normal' numbers.

They can play guys with NHL experience as long as they haven't played the minimum games in the regular season to have a rookie season I think. J-G Pageau played in the rookie for the Sens tournament this year, and he has several games in the regular season and 10 games in the playoffs under his belt.

I wouldn't look into the sweater numbers as to where they're headed, hockey players choose numbers for many reasons, so they often can be seemingly high and random, even for sure-NHLers

The Stars had a handful of guys with NHL games in their lineup. Oleksiak and Chiasson off the top of my head, with Jack Campbell (two games dressed, none played) and Valeri Nichushkin (last years 10th overall pick, expected to play in the NHL all year this year.)

While I agree with there being more and more high numbers, the Sharks are notorious for assigning non-traditional numbers to their prospects. Rookies don't get their choice of number and often end up in the 50-70s, since they are less likely to make the roster. if you look at guys on their NHL roster like Dejardans he wore his assigned #69 for a few season before switching to the #10 he will wear this year. Ryane Clowe is another example of someone who was given a number and stuck with it. In fact, if you look at the Worcester Sharks, players get no choice in number, it is assigned from 1-27ish depending on how many players have been on the roster that season.

SEAsig.png

Came in here hoping to see something like a 90's sweater or something. Sigh.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Numbers mean nothing in these. Remember these days players have whatever number. I think Montreal is filled with a ton of players over #50, and yes I realize that's because of their ridiculous amount of retired numbers. But look at Edmonton and how many of the "young" players have high digits. High digits are the cool thing to do and everyone is doing it which mean no one is cool. As far as how teams do it, the Kings-Ducks games was called "So Cal Futures". This is basically a way to get teams a look at these players in game action vs. an outside opponent and to see where the players have progressed over the summer. As Dean Lombardi said on Sunday, "Don't put much stock into these games."

To answer the helmet question, the teams usually bring just one set of helmets when travelling to these things, for the equipment manager's sake.

Also the same reason why Team USA wears white helmets with the blue jerseys in international play.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived