The "Genericizing" of NFL Wordmarks

rmackman

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope the Eagles someday go back to that old school wordmark (with kelly green duds)

Oh, no, that old Eagles script is bad. Kelly green again would be great, but they'd have to come up with something new.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Hope the Eagles someday go back to that old school wordmark (with kelly green duds)

Oh, no, that old Eagles script is bad. Kelly green again would be great, but they'd have to come up with something new.

Also, you don't see too many wordmarks these days that are individual letters as opposed to a cohesive shape that would work as a one-piece applique or patch. Even the NFL wordmarks that appear as separate letters are roughly shaped in a way that they could be applied as one piece. That old Eagles logo (which I'm fond of, mostly because that's what I grew up with) really can't work that way.

I'm torn on the current wordmark. In a way I like it, because it's very unique and stands out, and could be considered a modernization of the old one (capital letters with "spikes"), but the fact that it's contained in... well, a container doesn't work for me, and at a quick glance, the shape and spikes make it look like a patch for a metal band that should be on a jeans jacket or soemthing.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

National Recovery Administration, I believe. And I'd love to see them acknowledge it in a logo patterned after this one. 1nra.jpg

The thing is, nobody knows that, and the reference would be lost. Hell - I don't even know it for sure that the blue eagle was the exact inspiration (though it makes since, except that they changed to green at the same time. )

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

EaglesScript.gifI like this one better.But why not just set the word "Eagles" in Eagle? The team is named after the WPA logo, isn't it?

I preferred that too for a while, but eventually decided that it was too baseballish for an nfl word mark. I also liked how it was in green on the white jersey unlike the current mark which is white on white, but I came around on that too. The asymmetry just looked a little odd under the collar.

The tail on the s was totally unnecessary. The other letters could have been shifted down and only the one underline used under the whole thing.

That would be a big improvement. The tail doesn't logically flow from the S anyway - they could easily have done that if they wanted.

I wasn't suggesting that the Eagles need to ape the NRA logo exactly, or that anyone would need to recognize the reference even if they did. But the 1930s and 40s was a period of really strong graphic design and typography, and it would be cool to see a team do something in that style. The Eagles would be a good fit because if their origins, as well as their long tenure in the league.

No disagreement on the quality of design in the 30s and 40s. I just think that the Eagles identity (along with a lot (but not all) of other teams) was really established in the 60s and 70s, and despite their age, I just don't see that much of a retro look working. There are several teams that could pull it off, I just don't think it would work for the Eagles.

They're a "classic" franchise, having been founded in 33 (and existing in other forms since before then), but I don't think people look at them in the same way as the Bears, Giants, Washington, and Packers.

No disagreement on the quality of design in the 30s and 40s. I just think that the Eagles identity (along with a lot (but not all) of other teams) was really established in the 60s and 70s, and despite their age, I just don't see that much of a retro look working. There are several teams that could pull it off, I just don't think it would work for the Eagles.

They're a "classic" franchise, having been founded in 33 (and existing in other forms since before then), but I don't think people look at them in the same way as the Bears, Giants, Washington, and Packers.

No, people don't. Not at all.

But they should. And if the Eagles helped them along that direction in any way, they might.

Maybe. It's just that they don't have the history of those other teams. The Giants were able to kinda sorta pull it off because everyone thinks of YA Tittle in that old NY uniform, so their identity was established long before they went to the LT-era set. The Bears always had Soldier Field adding to their old-time allure, and had a pretty consistent visual identity as well. With the Packers, it's obvious. With Washington, I'm not entirely sure why they're viewed that way, but they just are.

The Eagles don't have the same legacy of success, nor any icons that are in the same class as Red Grange, YA Tittle, various Packers, and... well, again I'm still not sure who Washington's icons are - Sammy Baugh?

The Eagles have Chuck Bednarik, Norm Van Brocklin, and (sorta) Sonny Jurgensen.

Maybe had they stayed in Franklin Field instead of moving to the Vet, they could have kept that "old time" feel to them, but the move to a modern Astroturf concrete doughnut pretty much destroyed any chance of ever being thought of in that other class of teams again. IMO I really don't think there's any turning back. Maybe the plain green and white '60s era set that they wore as a throwback against the Packers a few years ago would work, but I really don't see them being able to pull off a return to imagery that has origins in the "golden age".

I've posted this before, but here's a NFL wordmarks graphic from 1972:

1972NFLTeamTypefaces.jpg

Was 1972 the first year of the wordmarks? The Chargers used their mark with the goalpost H throughout their AFL days.

I had bedsheets with all the wordmarks on it, that was so nice...

um, Cards...when one writes in cursive, most, if not all, of the lowercase letters tend to be connected. What the Rams use, that aint cursive.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived