Fort Worth NBA concept (revision)

29texan

Navy/dark royal and bronze/copper. If I remember correctly, the FD utilizes a color scheme similar to this as well as the waste management dept. I think the flag even but I can't remember.

When I think of home, these colors always come to mind.

Also, I'm definitely not feeling the number font. It doesn't complement the great art deco look.

Midway.png

Not feeling it. Here's why...

Not sure what's going on in the primary. The nickname is very tiny, and all the lettering just looks "placed" instead of integrated into the design. Try fitting the primary logo into a small square. A good logo will have a nice balance of legibility and iconography. While yours emphasizes the architecture (not a bad idea on its own), it's not working well within that distorted shield shape. You don't even need the shield shape for the primary.

Why not have the steeple against a 3/4 basketball shape? Imagine you're looking up at a full moon behind the steeple, almost as tall, except part of the moon is blocked out by it. Now make it a basketball instead of the moon. Boom! Instant iconography that says "basketball" and "Fort Worth".

I would greatly increase the size of "Outlaws". Keep the star inside the W, as it's a recognizable symbol for much of the city. Decrease the space between the A and W. A good designer will notice the ugly letter spacing (if you squint, it's very apparent). Thicken up the text a bit, as it's not working here, Art Deco or not.

Maybe even type "Fort Worth" in an arc around the shape of the basketball. It doesn't have to be centered over the entire logo, as the steeple may provide a nice counterbalance.

The number font is not working at all. Since you modified it form a basic NBA font, it looks very awkward as it doesn't match anything else in the logo. Look at some team identities. If the number font doesn't match the wordmark font, then it should be as basic as possible. Standard block, serifed block, or Helvetica. Even though the Lakers wordmarks and number fonts don't match, the number font is just a 3-d version of a basic block font, and the customization to it does not clash with the lettering itself. The teams with the most custom fonts are consistent with their use throughout their identities.

I'm not a fan of the Outlaw secondary. Teams don't have to have a literal translation of their nickname, as long as you can play up the location of the team. Nothing really about Brooklyn says "Nets", so all the logos play off the city name. The Clippers don't even use a ship, but they use semaphore flags as trim. Oklahoma City plays off its city's intials (bad analogy).

P.E.A.U. should go inside the collar, or may as trim at the bottom of the leg or something. Doesn't look good on the back of the neck, save that area for a tertiary or just leave empty.

There's a lot more to work on. Keep tweaking. And if done well, it may not matter what color scheme you eventually choose.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Not feeling it. Here's why...

Not sure what's going on in the primary. The nickname is very tiny, and all the lettering just looks "placed" instead of integrated into the design. Try fitting the primary logo into a small square. A good logo will have a nice balance of legibility and iconography. While yours emphasizes the architecture (not a bad idea on its own), it's not working well within that distorted shield shape. You don't even need the shield shape for the primary.

Why not have the steeple against a 3/4 basketball shape? Imagine you're looking up at a full moon behind the steeple, almost as tall, except part of the moon is blocked out by it. Now make it a basketball instead of the moon. Boom! Instant iconography that says "basketball" and "Fort Worth".

I would greatly increase the size of "Outlaws". Keep the star inside the W, as it's a recognizable symbol for much of the city. Decrease the space between the A and W. A good designer will notice the ugly letter spacing (if you squint, it's very apparent). Thicken up the text a bit, as it's not working here, Art Deco or not.

Maybe even type "Fort Worth" in an arc around the shape of the basketball. It doesn't have to be centered over the entire logo, as the steeple may provide a nice counterbalance.

The number font is not working at all. Since you modified it form a basic NBA font, it looks very awkward as it doesn't match anything else in the logo. Look at some team identities. If the number font doesn't match the wordmark font, then it should be as basic as possible. Standard block, serifed block, or Helvetica. Even though the Lakers wordmarks and number fonts don't match, the number font is just a 3-d version of a basic block font, and the customization to it does not clash with the lettering itself. The teams with the most custom fonts are consistent with their use throughout their identities.

I'm not a fan of the Outlaw secondary. Teams don't have to have a literal translation of their nickname, as long as you can play up the location of the team. Nothing really about Brooklyn says "Nets", so all the logos play off the city name. The Clippers don't even use a ship, but they use semaphore flags as trim. Oklahoma City plays off its city's intials (bad analogy).

P.E.A.U. should go inside the collar, or may as trim at the bottom of the leg or something. Doesn't look good on the back of the neck, save that area for a tertiary or just leave empty.

There's a lot more to work on. Keep tweaking. And if done well, it may not matter what color scheme you eventually choose.

This has given me some things to think about.

What I have in bold of what you typed is mainly about the logos, right?

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

Huge improvement!

Work on the consistency with line weights...the line around the red steeple is very thin compared to around the triangular part at the bottom. Same with the outline around the ball.

Start working with your vector shapes more...the basketball should be smooth, not made of straight line segments like a stop sign.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

• 3 weeks later...

Version 3.

- Primary Logo: Got rid of the shield and added the stripes instead. (And I know it still doesn't look very round, but I'm still workin' on it)
- Secondary Logo: Instead of an outlaw's head, I decided to go with another Fort Worth symbol, Molly the Longhorn, which is seen all over the place here. I do get a little tired of the "Cowtown" image as well, but it is part of who we are. And I added Texas as a background.

- Numbers: I just couldn't find an Art Deco font I felt would look right, so I just went with the basic collegiate block. It's still different from what you would typically see in the NBA, however.

1521382_10202142417715378_385218083_n.jp

Uniforms: Same. But instead of the P.E.A.U. on the back, I replaced it with the new secondary. Also, the new number font replaces the old one.

1558455_10202142418275392_953496369_n.jp

1601484_10202142418115388_307667432_n.jp

1525548_10202142418035386_343701901_n.jp

1520738_10202142417675377_1294448065_n.j

Court: Same. Only with the new secondary replacing the old one.

74339_10202142417915383_1847138610_n.jpg

The alternates are coming soon...

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png

My main problem is there's no connection to the team name. Everything is a tribute to Fort Worth. Outlaws seems pretty arbitrary, yet it's such a great name. This concept could be "Fort Worth Texans" and everything would look exactly the same.

There have been great logos in the NBA that have little to no reference to the nickname (skyline Sonics, skyline Nuggets, Lakers, Knicks) but most everything focuses on the nickname.

Small nitpick - move the P.E.A.U from center court to the bottom sideline. Having it at center seems college-y.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

My main problem is there's no connection to the team name. Everything is a tribute to Fort Worth. Outlaws seems pretty arbitrary, yet it's such a great name. This concept could be "Fort Worth Texans" and everything would look exactly the same.

There have been great logos in the NBA that have little to no reference to the nickname (skyline Sonics, skyline Nuggets, Lakers, Knicks) but most everything focuses on the nickname.

Small nitpick - move the P.E.A.U from center court to the bottom sideline. Having it at center seems college-y.

Well my last secondary was an outlaw. Just wanted to do something.

And just to make something clear, the name "Outlaws" can be seen as a generic name, but that too has meaning....

"The Fort Worth Five"

TheFortWorthFive.jpg

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png

That outlaw secondary logo would be excellent with a couple of keystrokes that better shape the scarf and the hat. It's actually really good, and you shaped the hat perfectly, just needs more definition. I think that's the only point that slapshot and I disagree.

I think that'd be a stronger secondary than the longhorn-TX state logo. But your call though, as this is your idea.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Something that will help your images is if you save them as a .png file. When you save as a .jpg, the colours smudge, particularly the reds. The .jpg format was created for photograph files, and when you're using the format for another purpose, it's obvious. The .png format is much better suited to this kind of work.

This concept has come along nicely. I'm thinking you could work up a more literal Outlaw as a tertiary logo.

rATMcmK.png

Something that will help your images is if you save them as a .png file. When you save as a .jpg, the colours smudge, particularly the reds. The .jpg format was created for photograph files, and when you're using the format for another purpose, it's obvious. The .png format is much better suited to this kind of work.

This concept has come along nicely. I'm thinking you could work up a more literal Outlaw as a tertiary logo.

I'll keep it in mind for the next round.

Also, I'm thinking of moving the "FTW" logo up to secondary. The more I look at it, the more I think it can be a strong part in the identity. Much like several baseball cap insignia that aren't the primary logo for the team in the Majors, i.e., the interlocking 'NY' for the Yankees. I know it would would take years to get it to that level, but still...

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png

Archived