NFL Re-Design (7/10 - Houston Texans & Pittsburgh Steelers)

TTN2810

Hey guys, I've decided to (well try to) re-design the entire NFL! I know I won't be able to get to these as often as I'd like with school starting back up soon, but I hope I can get through all 32 eventually! All comments and criticism is welcome :) just please be respectful!

Atlanta Falcons

Detroit Lions

Houston Texans

Pittsburgh Steelers

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original Post

1388753375-U11028.png

Hey guys, I've decided to (well try to) re-design the entire NFL! I know I won't be able to get to these as often as I'd like with school starting back up soon, but I hope I can get through all 32 eventually! All comments and criticism is welcome :) just please be respectful!

1388753375-U11028.png

I like this a lot. Don't quite know how I feel about the lack of any design on the pants, but this is an attractive set.

You should post the entire number set since it's hard to evaluate how it looks when looking at only a single digit.

Or at least choose a number like 32 or 57 or 35 or something that gives a better representation of the font. Usually the most significant numbers are 2,3,5, and 7.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1388753375-U11028.png

OOOH!! I like this a lot! Maybe put piping down the side of the legs that match the stripes on the helmet and you'll have an absolute winner! Great work!

Hey, I see your doing my team! Nice job. I like the black helmet, but the red you did has a great throwback look. Only problems: the logo clutters the shoulder stripes, it's somewhat simple, and the notch in the number is not the best. Otherwise from that, it's great! Can't wait for more. Oh, and would you mind telling me where you got the template?

Thanks for all the input everyone.

In regard to the pants, I can totally see where you guys are coming from. For some reason I've personally always loved just plain one colour pants. They just standout and add a bit of a throwback vibe which I was going for a bit here.

As far as the template FALCON6, I based this on Andrew Harrington's template, which can be found here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/stg6dc3jmctfky3/Football+%28Nike%29.svg

Also, I'm hoping to have Detroit done for tomorrow. I have a feeling most of you won't like them haha

1388753375-U11028.png

Looks quite like Ohio State.

Great job on these. I like the simple stripe pattern approach. The quality is very good. Just a couple of things:

• Atlanta - There should be some sort of pattern on the pants. To have such a multi-layer stripe on the helmet and shirt but not the pants seems lazy.
  • Detroit - You have a 3 stripe pattern on the pants and shirt, but a single stripe on the helmet. Again, this looks lazy/incomplete.

Now, these are your concepts, so if that is your intent, then keep it as is.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Great job on these. I like the simple stripe pattern approach. The quality is very good. Just a couple of things:

• Atlanta - There should be some sort of pattern on the pants. To have such a multi-layer stripe on the helmet and shirt but not the pants seems lazy.
  • Detroit - You have a 3 stripe pattern on the pants and shirt, but a single stripe on the helmet. Again, this looks lazy/incomplete.

Now, these are your concepts, so if that is your intent, then keep it as is.

Thanks a lot man. Appreciate the comments.

For Atlanta, like I said above, for some reason I just like one colour pants. Don't know why. But since a lot of you have commented on it, I think I'll add some alternate pants with stripes to see how it looks.

And for Detroit, I totally did try the three stripes on the helmet. It just looked weird. Can't put my finger on it. Maybe the thin stripes clashed with the bold single coloured logo. So instead I figured the single stripe would match the single 'stripe' in the V part of the collar to centre the uniform.

Interesting idea, black and blue go great together. Even though it's out of the box, you did great. Your doing well with the black and grey. Three stripes on pants and shoulders look great. Thanks for the template!

I guess I don't understand why the Lions go from a unique stripe to a generic one. I like that you used more black, but the Lions uniforms are way better than this right now, IMO. These are just a bit too generic for a team with so much uniform history. I'd love to see a little more color balance and unified striping for them.

It's called Honolulu Blue, by the way ;)

I guess I don't understand why the Lions go from a unique stripe to a generic one. I like that you used more black, but the Lions uniforms are way better than this right now, IMO. These are just a bit too generic for a team with so much uniform history. I'd love to see a little more color balance and unified striping for them.

It's called Honolulu Blue, by the way ;)

Thanks for the input! I'm interested in why you believe these to be more generic than their current set? Nothing about their current uniform is different than what can be seen around the NFL. Many teams have a similar sleeve (Steelers, Cleveland, Green Bay, Chiefs - not all identical, but the same idea), similar "modern" font, similar pant etc. With these, I wanted to go bold and simplistic, but in a modern way, like the inline font, or the triple stripe on the pants (which I admit San Francisco uses the same idea on the sleeve, but not the pants), or the flat one colour logo. These would be unique to Detroit. I can't think of a team the uses flat colour like this in the NFL (except for the uniforms that have been around forever like Oakland, but those aren't even close to modern). I would use Minnesota as an example. Their sleeve is simple, but definitely unique to them. I would absolutely agree if you said these were simplistic, but I would like to see why you think they are generic.

I appreciate you taking the time to comment and help with ideas, I'm always happy to see other people's opinions to add some insight to apply to future designs.

The Lions silver helmet needs blue, and the pants need blue too. You know if the Lions had a silver helmet with one black stripe, odds are the Raiders would send a cease and desist letter...

Atlanta's silver pants need stripes. You have a modern look for the Falcons but throwback pants? Nah. Choose one or the other. That number font isn't the best, either.

You're on the verge of something really nice. Don't abandon design and colors just because.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• 6 months later...

Sadly haven't been able to get to these as much as I'd like, but I have another one here. I really like their current set, but felt it just needed a bit a modernizing, so I didn't do a complete overhaul, just cleaned up the look and brought it into 10's from the 00's.

1404969305-U11028.png

Okay, before anyone freaks out about the Steelers having classic uniforms and such, I know they likely won't ever make any radical changes. The point of this project though isn't to simply just enter a team's uniform in the template. It's to redesign it, so I did. I tried to keep a somewhat classic look in design with the sleeve stripes, font, and helmet numbers, but the use of color is simplistic and modern, with the fluorescent yellow.

1404987798-U11028.png

Here's my view:

Texans-I'd add some trim to the numbers. Eliminate the singular star on the sleeves and pants; there's another team in the state that has the star as part of its brand. I can't really say these are a '10s look because redesigns have been all over the place this decade and really has been no one trend or defining look.

Steelers-I'm not sure if those yellow jerseys can be worn on the field legally. Even so you'd put people's eyes out with that highlight yellow. I'd just switch the yellow back to the mustard-type yellow and give them white road uniforms. The rest of the uniform is OK.

Archived