New Orleans Hornets logo

Starchild

Well, I've been hard at work trying to fix up something for the New Orleans Hornets but I've come to a little bump in the road with my logo. Here is where I am with it currently (one Hornet has mardi-gras type beads, the other does not - not sure which is better):

HornetComparison.gif

As you can see, the bottom image is my reference logo. I wanted to keep the same sorta feel with my Hornets logo, but I'm afraid I may have kept a little too much. If I did indeed use too much of the reference Hornet, please let me know so I can avoid jacking it completely, and also, if you have any suggestions on how to make the whole thing better, lay it on me. Thanx in advance.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

I like the one w/o beads ( too cliche ). You might get rid of the cartoon arms and make it like a legit hornet w/ six legs. Maybe more purple less teal. Also try incorporating the hexagon border - I still like that. I think it would be a definite improvment over what they have.

NOLAbanner.jpg

the one with the beeds looks a bit bling!! :D They kind of look a bit jokey I think though so I would leave them off. (And I had no idea what Mardi Gras beads were, so I don't think the reference would work all that well internationally!)

You could have the hornet doing something with its hands- maybe shooting off a pass or something. Just worth a try, dunno how well it would work!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Very nice, not a bad insect logo at all! I think the middle section of his body could use a little more detail though.

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

The beads and the blue on top of the eye make him look like an angry housewife. :P

I like the design a lot (maybe consider putting it on a shield) and I do think there should be some kind of local reference, whether it's Mardi Gras or Voodoo or something like that.

I honestly wouldn't even waste my time with that hexagonal pattern in the eyes. It's cool, but at smaller sizes, it'll get completely lost. This is a really good start, but it's a bit too feminine looking overall. Maybe butch it up a bit and see where it goes.

Here's an updated version...

HornetVersion2.gif

Changes Made:

-Added an extra shade of blue for shadowing

-Slightly altered the tip of the head (made it slope more downward)

-Eliminated hexagon pattern in eye

-Replaced 2 cartoon arms with 6 traditional insect ones

-Moved head more towards the body (cut down the neck)

-Removed Mardi Gras beads in favor of a chest logo consisting of an "H" for Hornets enclosed within "NEW ORELANS"

Please let me know if this is more of a step in the right direction, and anything else I could/should do to improve upon it...

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

like Ive said before, Ive never come across a teal and purple species of hornet (then again, how many green, charcoal, and black eagles are there?)

but thats a great improvement of thier logo. Less cartoony and more graphically appealing is always a plus

that bug better hope he dont come across me though :P

I think if you changed the wings, it'd be good. It still resembles the original image, and the wings are the last really similar portion.

I like most of the changes except adding New Orleans and the H on the chest... maybe a large H would work, but as it is, the H is kinda hard to decipher, and New Orleans from any kind of distance would be illegible.

You're doing a great job on this identity though... very cool. I kinda liked the hexagonal pattern on the eyes, but can see why you got rid of it. Wouldn't mind to see it incorporated on the jersey design somehow (although not anywhere close to as overtly as Discrim did).

Keep up the great work Starchild!

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Great decision losing the beads, it made me think of Dame Edna Everidge (I hope that reference isn't lost on a North American website).

I would probably just stick with the "H" on the chest rather than the full "New Orleans" text, I think it will get lost on little logos or from a distance.

That small criticism aside, I love your design (although I don't mind the current cartoony one either - it is a bit like the Celtics cartoon man).

What do you plan to do with the wordmark, or are you just sticking with the logo for the time being?

Greg

Richmond.pngCanucks-1.png49ers-1.pngMariners-2.png

Thanks to Gobbi for the awesome buttons!

Nice improvement starchild. Something doesn't quite seem right about the wings still, and that bugs ( :D ) me more now the hornet is less cartoony (they look a bit like angle wings?!?!), but thats a fairly small complaint.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Great decision losing the beads, it made me think of Dame Edna Everidge (I hope that reference isn't lost on a North American website).

Especially with the turquoise/teal color looking like a blue-rinse :D

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

UPDATE:

HornetVersion3.gif

Changed:

-Enlarged the "H" on chest and removed "NEW ORLEANS"

-Cleaned up the legs on the left

-Darkened color of the wings

-Changed the back wing's position

Thanx for the help thus far everyone. Seems like everyone agreed that the wings should be fixed up, so I tried it this way - any better?

What do you plan to do with the wordmark, or are you just sticking with the logo for the time being?

I've more or less got the wordmark down. It still needs some tweaking, but I'm just concentrating on getting the primary logo down - I'm really trying to slow down my concepts and take more time with them.

i have one suggestion that could help your logo, see how at the bottom of your left wing there is a slight gap between the two colors and there is the blue which looks a little glitchy, so what im saying is bing it to a point, then just have the blue run down the side of the wing, hopefully this will clarify.

HornetVersion3revision.gif

Untitled-3.gif

-s82.designs.webpage-

Brilliams!

Ownership

-CFA: South Beach Sharks

-NCFA: 2007 Beantown Bowl Champions; BNE Co-Champions

New wings are a definite improvement, maybe they could do with a touch more shaping, a la the real hornet that brywhit posted, but I dunno thats your call! Worth playing about with I'd have thought though!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Once again, reviving the thread as I continue with the concept :D

I've adjusted the wing shape a bit on the Hornet, so here's how it looks at the moment:

HornetVersion4.gif

And here's version 1.0 of the Hornets wordmark I had in mind:

HornetsWordmark.gif

So what's the verdict thus far?

Archived