Voodoo WIP

jeh-see

Hey guys. I'm working on a new project, Crescent City Voodoo. My train of thought incorporates a voodoo doll dressed as Baron Samedi. Just a start, asking for my friends' ideas, suggestions and critique. There are a TON more brainstorming sketches so I have started with the two main ones that will be the seed from which the final product will eventually grow.

Sketch 1

Voodoo10001_zps1252966c.png

Sketch 2

Voodoo20001_zps647abfe9.jpg

Thanks guys!

UniJ

He's not wearing footie pajamas or even pants. It's a voodoo doll. The bottom half and legs are the burlap material that makes the doll.

LOL, thanks, that's what I was going to say. I agree with you guys about the skull button on the hat, which I originally did just have as a circle, but the CC may work too. Thanks for the critiques so far.

UniJ

• 1 month later...

Well I was asked to go in a different direction with the concept. The voodoo doll/Baron Samedi hybrid was a hit but the person I am doing the work for requested something a bit more "abstract" like the original Phoenix Coyotes logo, which I will post below for refenence, along with the sketch I came up with and the first vector version.

Reference:

CoyotesLogo_zpsf1981aaf.gif

Sketch:

Scan_20140315_zpsc3a2f982.png

First Vector, with selected color palette (Faded Maroon, Black, Purple, Burlap, Rust, Mardi Gras Yellow)

1997-2003-New-Orleans-Logo_zpsbc3729cc.j

Lemme know whatcha think, thanks!

UniJ

I think you need to separate the sections more with Black lines versus No line or the beige lines.

Yeah I kind of though thicker lines, too. But keeping them the color they are addes the the "burlap sack" skin of the doll. Thank you for the feedback!

UniJ

Version 2, with most suggestions

1997-2003-New-Orleans-Logo_zps0513c5c8.j

I also removed the "patch" from the right leg, while I thought it aided in selling the patchwork feel of the voodoo doll I also felt it was forced and cluttered up a design that already had a lot going on.

I think a thick black stroke down the middle could help some. Also, I agree with what jaha mentioned earlier about the legs. Maybe if you turned the stick outwards, you'd be able to see the bottom of the legs better. I know that messes with symmetry some but as it is now, I get a bit of a snowman vibe from it.

Although the latest update is better, I would go with the updated sketch (underneath the Coyote). The legs were skinnier in the sketch, so they actually looked like legs. I realize this is supposed to be a goalie, but with legs that wide, I just keep seeing an egg instead of the 5-hole.

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

Honestly, Im warming up to it. It could pass as an alternate/90's fauxback lets say if Arizona Coyotes move to NO. Don't scrap this abstract thing!

Thanks for the commentary so far, guys. I appreciate it. I'm off Sunday and I will put some of the suggestions to good use. What if I conveyed the legs in a "butterfly style," kinda forming an upsided down "V"? it wouldn't be so rounded at the bottom and the "V" would serve doubly for the "V" in "Voodoo". I can't stray from the idea of it being "abstract", as that is what the person I am doing this for wants (I prefer the original design, myself, it looks cooler, but as he said "it looked more comic book than logo" and I can see that, honestly). I also can't lose the voodoo doll in the final design, either, so that has to come off as being part of the character. I tied in the New Orleans/Crescent City aspect with the fleur-de-lis on the hockey player half of the character and placing a crescent in the catching glove, and added as much loose voodoo icons as I could with the Baron Samedi top hat, the doll itself, complete with needle-handled goalie stick. I am just feeling making the legs into the butterfly style will crouch the character down and give it a more action feel, eliminate the snowman/egg look the legs provide now and it would give me more leeway with the positioning of the goalie stick. I could even bring the head down a bit and raise the blocker and catch glove up a bit to give it more life, almost like he is expecting a shot at any moment. I hope all this makes sense without the actual mock up in front of you.

UniJ

Archived