E-Bay's Lack of Jersey Knowledge (They Took Down My Listing)

rmackman

So I just got off the phone with E-Bay. Basically I'm in danger of being banned from using the site because I argued with them. They say I am incorrect in assessing that there are three lines of jerseys. Replica, a middle ground product the NFL calls Limited, and Authentic.

Under their guidelines told to me by someone named "Daphne":

1. The word replica and fake are synonymous
  2. The word authentic and licensed are synonymous
  3. A jersey that is given to someone by a player and an NFL women's jersey with screen printing are both deemed authentic
  4. If someone makes a jersey at home, and gets a player to sign it, as long as it has a certificate of authenticity made, it is considered authentic
  5. A receipt from a store such as Sports Authority or Dick's Sporting Goods is not proof of authenticity as those stores may sell non-licensed apparel
  6. Once someone sells something considered non-licensed, they are put into a pool and they are treated as though everything they sell is "replica" or non-licensed
  7. Using highly descriptive words other than authentic will get your jersey removed from our listing

So, unfortunately, their system of determination of jerseys is one of the reasons you see so many counterfeits out there. They have no clue what they are doing.

So, that being said, I need to sell a medium Nike Limited Aaron Rodgers jersey. Anyone interested?

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I just got off the phone with E-Bay. Basically I'm in danger of being banned from using the site because I argued with them. They say I am incorrect in assessing that there are three lines of jerseys. Replica, a middle ground product the NFL calls Limited, and Authentic.

3. A jersey that is given to someone by a player and an NFL women's jersey with screen printing are both deemed authentic
  4. If someone makes a jersey at home, and gets a player to sign it, as long as it has a certificate of authenticity made, it is considered authentic
  5. A receipt from a store such as Sports Authority or Dick's Sporting Goods is not proof of authenticity as those stores may sell non-licensed apparel
  6. Once someone sells something considered non-licensed, they are put into a pool and they are treated as though everything they sell is "replica" or non-licensed
  7. Using highly descriptive words other than authentic will get your jersey removed from our listing

So, unfortunately, their system of determination of jerseys is one of the reasons you see so many counterfeits out there. They have no clue what they are doing.

So, that being said, I need to sell a medium Nike Limited Aaron Rodgers jersey. Anyone interested?

ebay and paypal make their own rules and are regulated by nobody...sucks you had to go through this experience but the only way to do business with them is to play by their rules...logic be damned.

ebay and paypal make their own rules and are regulated by nobody...sucks you had to go through this experience but the only way to do business with them is to play by their rules...logic be damned.

If you walked in with a black dog and E-Bay told you it was a pink turtle, I guess it's a pink turtle. :angered:

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Getting kicked off of ebay is like getting suspended or banned from an internet message forum. If all the morons and trolls out there can manage to do what they do without getting suspended, and yet you can't, you really need to look in the mirror.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

A few years back I purchased a dozen or so soccer jerseys from TJ Maxx and posted them on e-bay. They were reported as fake and e-bay contacted me. In my discussion with e-bay I told them where I got them and provided a receipt, I was still not allowed to sell them, but with an explanation there were no consequences on my end. I took the jerseys back to TJ Maxx (with receipt) returned them and got my $$$ back. I am still not sure how they were popped as fake.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Sounds really messed up, IMO. eBay needs to get their $h!t together. If they actually tried to weed out the fakes, eBay would know the difference between "Limited", "Game", and "Elite" for the new Nike NFL jerseys.

Sounds really messed up, IMO. eBay needs to get their $h!t together. If they actually tried to weed out the fakes, eBay would know the difference between "Limited", "Game", and "Elite" for the new Nike NFL jerseys.

it was because he used the word "Replithetic" If he just said "Limited" he would have been fine

it was because he used the word "Replithetic" If he just said "Limited" he would have been fine

I understand. I can believe they would question "replithentic." To me it is being a little knit picky. But if that is their policy, then it makes sense.

I have to admit, I'd stay, far, far away from a listing that said "replithentic."

Replica jersey = okay

Authentic jersey = okay

"Replithentic"= someone is trying to pull something over on me. DO NOT WANT!

It's either an authentic, or it's not (it's a replica). It can't be both.

Sounds like they did a great job at finding and shutting down a shady auction using a made-up and not only confusing, but possibly deceptive word to describe the item.

87Redskins.png

Sounds like they did a great job at finding and shutting down a shady auction using a made-up and not only confusing, but possibly deceptive word to describe the item.

If anyone on this board actually thinks I'd sell a fake jersey to anyone, then they clearly do not know me.

spacer.png

If anyone on this board actually thinks I'd sell a fake jersey to anyone, then they clearly do not know me.

Here's the thing, eBay doesn't know you either.

All they had to go on was your auction with a made-up word representing the product you're trying to sell. It's not a custom jersey, so there's no need for a "custom" word. If you had just been straight with what you were selling in the description, a Nike Elite jersey, you could have avoided this entire situation that you brought on yourself.

You want eBay to crack down on counterfeits but then complain when they actively attempt to.

Speaking of knowing you on these boards, your Location and grocery list of favorite teams in your avatar do make you look like you're on the run. Very suspicious.. :D

87Redskins.png

All they had to go on was your auction with a made-up word representing the product you're trying to sell. It's not a custom jersey, so there's no need for a "custom" word. If you had just been straight with what you were selling in the description, a Nike Elite jersey, you could have avoided this entire situation that you brought on yourself.

You want eBay to crack down on counterfeits but then complain when they actively attempt to.

Speaking of knowing you on these boards, your Location and grocery list of favorite teams in your avatar do make you look like you're on the run. Very suspicious.. :D

Not gonna lie, sometimes I think this is my theme song:

spacer.png

Here's the deal, ebay is a massive flea market and some of their largest customers (sellers) sell counterfeits. Ebay has been mired in legal battles for several years with some very big luxury goods manufacturers for essentially enabling the sale of counterfeit goods. It's basically an online canal st. There is no way they are going to kill their golden goose especially if the sellers have a ton of reviews and good ratings. What they are doing is a symbolic policing of their site. A new user with no history posts a commonly counterfeited item and uses a flagged word/phrase and takes down the auction with little to no rationale.

Basically this costs ebay nothing but they now have this auction as a data and other examples of small time sellers use as examples when the nfl legal department makes their quarterly inquiry to see what they are doing to police their listings. That's how modern big business works.

Archived